PDA

View Full Version : Army-Navy E Award from WWII

Bob - The Beagle Master
05-14-2010, 06:37
This packet was given to employees of Noblitt-Sparks Industries, later Arvin Industries and now Arvin Meritor Corporation during WWII. Since my father was in management he also received an invitation to a luncheon that was given in honor of Noblitt-Sparks receiving the award.

Considering the fact that the nation was supposed to be in the middle of rationing and austerity, the menu for the luncheon was pretty grand. Since the picture is so small, I'll type out the menu for you:

From the Snack Bar:
Punch, Fresh Shrimp, Sardines, Cheese Squares, Caviar, Canape, Ripe Olives, Stuffed Olives, Burr Gherkins, Fingerling Sandwiches, Pickled Onionss, Cheese Wafers, Potato Chips, Roast Pig

Main Course:
Fresh Fruit Cups, Crisp Butter Wafers, Relishes, Roast Indiana Tom Turkey, Dressing, Giblet Sauce, Roast Young Suckling Pig Tasters, Yams Orange Glase, Snow Flake Potatoes, F.F. Peas, Molded Cape Cod Cranberry Salad, Hot Rolls, Butter Chips

Dessert:
Ice Cream, Wafers
Coffee

Makes me hungry!

The set includes the program, certificate, menu, invitation to the luncheon and a wallet card. The lapel pin was buried with my father when he died a few months later.

m1nut
05-24-2010, 11:53
Rockwell was acquired by and is now called Arvin Meritor.

Bob - The Beagle Master
05-26-2010, 05:50
Sad thing is that after Meritor acquired Arvin they took a very vibrant company, gutted it, sold off all the plants and then left town. All they wanted was the Arvin name and customer base and now they make a lot of OEM exhaust systems in Mexico and South America. Sad day for our city! My wife's great uncle was Quentin Noblitt, one of the two founders, and he would be rolling over in his grave if he knew.

Fred Pillot
06-11-2010, 12:26
I have a feeling that the names of the food being served are way better than the food you got.
Cheese squares and stuffed olives. I can think of all kinds of things to stuff the olives with.

dave
06-11-2010, 06:36
Those pins were given out in two sizes, small one for mangement (for a suit) and a larger one for the workers. I have several of each size displayed in my gun room. No idea what plants they came from, picked them up in antique stores. Many war production plants recieved this award. See Duff's WW11 M1 book.