PDA

View Full Version : Garand Cartridge Belt Questions

AOK
05-12-2010, 01:20
I have a cartridge belt that appears to be in really good condition. But it is missing the buckles that would have been sewn on the back of the pouches, where the belt goes through. It doesn't look like the loops have been cut so I'm just wondering why it doesn't have the buckles. Did they make sets of pouches without buckles? Were some buckles S shaped so they could have been removed without cutting the canvas? Any insight or information on this belt would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to an album of pics of the belt:
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/MILRIFLE1/cartridge%20belt%20wo%20clips/

JBinIll
05-12-2010, 05:23
That's a late M1923 cartridge belt,they used pot metal for that slide.Possibly got broken and came off.They weren't as heavily made as the buckle in front and I believe were flat and not all that durable.Any date or markings.

Dan Shapiro
05-12-2010, 07:27
From what I can see, you're missing the flat adjustment buckles. (See photo) This one has Korean markings on it.

AOK
05-13-2010, 02:48
Yeah, it's really too bad otherwise it would have been really nice. I guess I could try and repair it to use in a display. I wish I could find a really nice one w/o spending too much.

Dan Shapiro
05-13-2010, 06:06
"I could find a really nice one w/o spending too much."

Good luck on that. If you see 'a good price' today, its a repro. And to think of all the kids in my neighborhood (New River Air Station) used to play 'war' every weekend with Dad's 782 gear. If only we knew, we'd have picked up every piece we could at the surplus store. Screw the stock market!

jeremy69
05-14-2010, 08:42
I just got a 1923 Mounted belt, $250... Ouch!

JohnMOhio
05-20-2010, 08:11
One thing that I noticed on the belt AOK has is the "webbed" T Closure that I associate it being normally found on the Model 1936 Pistol Belt. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I don't recall that style T Closure being on a Rifle Cartridge Belt. The belt configuration is that of a Dismounted Model 1923. All 1923 Belts had the inner pocket straps. This in my opinon could even be a later or post WW2 Cartridge Belt based on the sewing of the flaps and the inner pocket straps. The army dropped the inner pocket straps, however the Corps. continued to incorporate this feature after WW2.

JBinIll
05-21-2010, 05:46
One thing that I noticed on the belt AOK has is the "webbed" T Closure that I associate it being normally found on the Model 1936 Pistol Belt. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I don't recall that style T Closure being on a Rifle Cartridge Belt. The belt configuration is that of a Dismounted Model 1923. All 1923 Belts had the inner pocket straps. This in my opinon could even be a later or post WW2 Cartridge Belt based on the sewing of the flaps and the inner pocket straps. The army dropped the inner pocket straps, however the Corps. continued to incorporate this feature after WW2.

It's a post war USMC belt.Dorsey's Web Belts and Bandoliers:1903-1981 shows a similiar belt using the M1936 T-closure and identifies it as a post-war transitional belt in the OD color.The inner pocket straps started being dropped by Army procurement mid-war.The Marine issue belts continued there use.

AOK
05-21-2010, 04:38
What is the T-closure you are talking about? Any value in the belt as is?

Dan Shapiro
05-21-2010, 06:52
What is the T-closure you are talking about?

The 'belt buckle'. You have the "T" shaped tab on one side, fits into the "notch" on the other side.