PDA

View Full Version : K98 Restoration Guy - Anybody Know A Good One?

Conductor
05-12-2010, 01:07
I've got a K98 that needs some minor restoration work. Metal only. The wood is fine. Anybody know a good gunsmith who really knows what he's doing when it comes to K98s? A phone number would be most helpful.

dave
05-21-2010, 09:52
If it is a collectable rifle, leave it alone! You do not say what you want done exactly, what model you have (K98 is a generic term, could mean many different rifles), weather it is a 're-build' or original matched rifle. Are you willing to mail it anywhere to have "minor" work done (possible FFL fees). If not, where are you located?

Conductor
05-27-2010, 05:23
The rifle is a K98k, J.P. Sauer und Sohn 1940. I'm in Virginia.....about 50 miles west of DC.

snipershot1944
05-28-2010, 01:52
Jim

I might be able to send you to someone who can help nearby.

Let's take this to a direct conversation.

David

Snipershot1944@yahoo.com

pelago
07-09-2010, 10:52
there are a ton of 98's out there, and many loosely called 98 i bought a KAR98a (yeah little a) and it is a WWI 98 made for WWI even has a stacking rod on it! lots of machined parts, all matching serial numbers and worth a heck of a lot more than the 150 bucks i spent on it and the seller called it a 98khttp://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/pelago177/mausercollection.jpg

it is the top one and made at erfure armory (i always wondered how one put a bayonett on the darn thing with that stacking rod on it)

photo is of my modest collection, and one could spend a lifetime collecting these things

and i have yet to see a poor mauser, the machine work on all of them was superb

if it is a run of the mill type 98, maybe one of the russian capture ones (crossed rifles beat into it and the crossed rifles actually look like a X) then it might be a candidate to 'restore' but as stated probably want more information before making a call like this
regards
ira jones

dave
07-09-2010, 01:25
The WW11 Greman rifle is properly called a Kar. (karbiner) 98 (98 model action) k. (kutz or short). The ttack rod on a K98a does not interfer with a bayonet, it used the so-called "butcher knife" bayo. A K.98k. cannot be readily "restored", there is a matter of matching numbers on almost ALL parts, WaA numbers for proper maker of parts, proper time period of allot of parts. If it is an RC, do what you wish, you cannot hurt it any, value or collectability!