PDA

View Full Version : Buying first Mauser 98K

ncblksmth1
05-05-2010, 07:02
There is a gent here locally who is selling a Mauser 98K with a code of 42 and a date of 1939. The numbers on the barrel and reciever dont match the floorplate/triggerguard. The front sight is a replacement as well. This rifle looks to be in remarkable condition for a gun that was made in 1939 and has waffenampt stamps and other german wwii markings. There is no sight hood and no strap. It seems the bayonet lug is new as it is shiney metal in the white. The remainder of finish is a very blue with no real dings or scratches except on the barrel in front of the front band and those marks look like vise marks. Asking price 250.00 Is this a bargain or is it about right for this type of gun in the condiion.

Bob:63:

Sarge
05-05-2010, 10:23
Vice marks on the bbl ? Does the bbl ser nr match the rec?
Probably about right for a mismatched shooter.
Sarge

Garden Valley
05-05-2010, 11:59
1939 dated rifles were not made to use a sight hood and the bayonet lug was originally in the white. Both the barrel and receiver were marked with the serial number. Do they match? Are the swastikas peened? Is there what appears to be a large letter "X" stamped on the receiver ring? Mixed parts are not uncommon and certainly should be expected on a $250 rifle. The vise marks could be a concern depending on what they might indicate. If the bore is nice then $250 is a decent price. Most RC rifles will bring more than that these days.

ncblksmth1
05-06-2010, 05:29
The serial numbers match on both barrel and reciever. The swastikas did not appear to be peened. The bore was excellent. There is no X on the reciever ring.

Thanks
Bob

Bill
05-06-2010, 06:04
It is not a collector piece, but worth the price.

dave
05-06-2010, 07:40
For less "pickey" collectors, it may be a collector piece. It is a myth that every rifle used by the Germans was 100% matched, yes, they left the factory that way but then there was such a thing as field maintenance. Unmatched parts were sometimes used to get a rifle back in service fast. Many rifles brought back by GI's had mismatched bolts cause they were picked out of a pile of captured German equipement and the bolts had been removed. Also GI's often packed their rifles with one or more budies and they got parts mixed up. What I would look for is the RC crossed rifles or X on it, to begain with. (you said none, I see) Also import stamp, duffle cut. See if there is a pattern to what numbers match and which do not. Stock serial, butt plate, bands, bayo lug--you do not give enough info! Does finish appear original? If it is a bring back, or could be, it is well worth the money and even if an RC it is cheaper then most, from what I have seen. It could also be a pre-1968 import which came in during the early sixty's and while not always 100% matched had not been messed with as RC's have been. An accurate judgement just cannot be made without a break down of the rifle and a examination of it. And there is always---condition and condition. For 250 bucks, you will not lose!

ncblksmth1
05-07-2010, 10:29
Thanks gents for the input. The Barrel, Reciever, and stock all have matching numbers. Many of the other parts have part of the serial number so I guess matched. It has import marks on the barrel I believe Interarms or sum such. The condition of the barrel and reciever are outstanding with no rust or pitting and they have a very dark blue almost park to them and the other parts match. There are 2 eagles carrying the swastika on the left side and three smaller ones on the right of the reciever. Waffenampt stamps everywhere. The stock is in awsome condition though used. I will post photos.

05-08-2010, 06:45
That is what they do, last 4 digits IIRC on small parts and some parts just 2 digits. You scored well for your 1st Mauser at 250.

ncblksmth1
05-10-2010, 08:55
There is an "X" on the reciever. I first thought these were crossed flags or something else. What does the "X" mean? I have tried and tried to post photos from my uploaded photo album but cannot. Need help here as well.

Garden Valley
05-11-2010, 12:02
THe "X" is actually a crudely depicted crossed rifles and is a Russian mark. Your rifle is an RC (Russian capture). The Russians captured hundreds of thousands of various German weapons and refurbished them and stored them for later use. They gave some of them to revolutionary groups around the world but a great number of them were imported into the US in the 1990's. They typically have mostly mismatched parts. I would be certain to check the headspace just to be safe, even though the bolt may be electro-penciled to match.

Art
05-22-2010, 02:37
For the rifle you describe I would consider the price quite fair.