PDA

View Full Version : WWII Helmet

limazulu
04-30-2010, 08:56
36543655365636573658 This helmet I received from my Godfather, Col. Ira Stinson, Marine, Graduated Air War College 1954. The pin I stuck in the hole in front. He signed the inside. I believe it's a McCord Steel Shell M1 Helmet #95D. I think he said he wore on Normandy but I might be wrong about that. I'm still learning to take these kind of pictures.

emmagee1917
05-03-2010, 08:45
I don't think any marines were at Normandy. If you can list the division (s) he was in and the dates , someone here can tell you where he was.
Chris

JBinIll
05-03-2010, 10:39
I don't think any marines were at Normandy. If you can list the division (s) he was in and the dates , someone here can tell you where he was.
Chris

The battleships Texas,Arkansas,and Nevada took part in the D-Day landings.They would have had Marine contingents on them.They wouldn't have been among the invasion troops but would have been there on ships.The Cruisers had 80 man detachments manning 5-inch guns and battleships had 200 man detachments.

Some Marine officers helped the British in planning their part of the invasion.There were Marines around on D-Day but it appears from available information were kept out of any usefull service due to inter-service rivalry at the time.Investigating Col.Stinson's service record might turn up some interesting history.

limazulu
05-04-2010, 12:48
Some Marine officers helped the British in planning their part of the invasion.There were Marines around on D-Day but it appears from available information were kept out of any usefull service due to inter-service rivalry at the time.Investigating Col.Stinson's service record might turn up some interesting history.

I was able to get my Dad's service record but I didn't think you could get just anybody's service record. Would you apply for the info the same way?

limazulu
05-04-2010, 12:50
Chris

I wondered about that too. Plus, I didn't think that kind of paint scheme on the helmut was used there but, I don't know much about it. I don't have anymore info then I gave.

CharlieEcho
05-07-2010, 07:14
I'm no ex-pert, but have read several books on history of the Marines. So, I'm writing from memory and can't be book specific. Marines were sent to Iceland early in WWII, but most were then withdrawn to complete divisions for WWII in the Pacific. Most of the war ships in the Atlantic were reduced Marine contingent due to Pacific requirements. Marines were mostly advisers to British air services in Africa, Italy, and later Europe. The only active Marine Barracks in the British Isles was in Ireland. I don't recall off hand their specific role. There were also as someone mentioned Marines in the OSS. Some from these ranks held positions of occupation at the end of the war. There was also a small Marine presence in the Embassy in England.

Addendum; I also don't believe the Marines started using the helmet covers full service until after Guadalcanal. Raiders had them earlier. so the paint may not be an issue of concern.

RCS
05-07-2010, 07:46
Check out Peter Ortiz, entered the French Foreign Legion in 1932 until 1940. Joined the US Marines as a 2nd Lt in 1942. Worked for the OSS during the war in France, captured by the Germans in 1944. Received the Navy Cross. Worked as an actor in many movies

limazulu
05-09-2010, 09:23
Thanks for all the info. I thought only next of kin could get military records but I went to the site and found out you can get info thru the FOIA (freedom of info act). So, I sent off a request and explained my reasons for wanting it and hopefully I'll get something back by next year. If I do I'll let you know.