PDA

View Full Version : Flying Commercial Airlines is getting really iffy ...

dogtag
10-29-2023, 03:59
Biden is hiring Blacks, Hispanics and probably illegals
in an effort to "diversify" the workforce of air traffic
controllers. Experience takes second place to equity
it seems even though several accident near misses
have taken place in recent months. This follows on
the tail of his similar program aimed at Pilots.
My advice is, take your own parachute. Better still,
go by Bus.

https://dailycaller.com/2023/10/27/biden-faa-pushing-diversity-hiring-as-air-traffic-control-system-falls-into-total-disarray/

dryheat
10-29-2023, 09:12
You can't screw around when it comes to serious stuff. -We hired you because you are black, we're firing you because you are worthless-. You can't play games about this. Not knocking smart 'everyone'.
Just saw that Indians are crossing the border. Great. I mean it. Indians are smart. OK, time out: Indians from India. Chris was way out of touch. That would be Mr. Columbus. I degress: If Indians make their way over here, good for them. We have enough Haitians and Peruvians. It's like cooking: Less is more. Don't salt the heck out of your dish. Sea Salt is BS (it's just salt). Hold out for the real good ingredient.

Did anyone see the story about the crazy Alaska Airline pilot who was high on magic mushrooms (not sure what that is)? He tried to turn off the engines in mid air.

Major Tom
10-30-2023, 12:36
I don't fly as I do not have the 'gold star' requiered. So, I'm off to Mexico and I will walk across the Rio and get free flights to anywhere I want to go!

Allen
10-30-2023, 01:04
I don't fly as I do not have the 'gold star' requiered. So, I'm off to Mexico and I will walk across the Rio and get free flights to anywhere I want to go!

All jokes aside, I just did the "gold star" thing and it was super easy. I took in an envelope with about a dozen pieces of documentation. The clerk lady only asked for 2 or 3. I was out of there in about 5 minutes.

Major Tom
10-30-2023, 06:34
My wife tried for a gold star a couple years ago. I'm her 3rd husband and the DOT wanted divorce decrees from her previous 2 husbands. She is from California and does not have those decrees. Why would anyone save them? Having court records researched would be a p.i.t.a.

Allen
10-30-2023, 08:51
My wife tried for a gold star a couple years ago. I'm her 3rd husband and the DOT wanted divorce decrees from her previous 2 husbands. She is from California and does not have those decrees. Why would anyone save them? Having court records researched would be a p.i.t.a.

Try a different courthouse within your county next time? Make an appointment ahead of time.

Unless your wife has an out of state DL I don't know why they would be asking. I guess it's on their records? Still, what would it matter?

No one's ever asked me for my marriage/divorce status nor my wife.

Major Tom
10-31-2023, 05:48
Well, if you are a woman who has changed her last name thru marridge, then the DOT wants to know who you really are? Of course, us guys keep our same last name forever.

Allen
10-31-2023, 06:32
Well, if you are a woman who has changed her last name thru marridge, then the DOT wants to know who you really are? Of course, us guys keep our same last name forever.

Yeah, didn't think about that. Seems like a copy of the last marriage certificate would do along with her SS verification.

Major Tom
11-01-2023, 08:03
Yeah, didn't think about that. Seems like a copy of the last marriage certificate would do along with her SS verification.

Nope! DOT wanted ALL devource decrees!

Allen
11-01-2023, 08:27
Nope! DOT wanted ALL devource decrees!

I believe you.

I spoke to my wife about this and she said years ago when she got a passport to go to Germany it was rejected the first time due to her maiden name changing to mine when we married. She had to re-apply showing our marriage certificate.

It's not fair to women having to change their names when they marry. On the other hand it's good to know that the government keeps track of things. Since they keep these kind of records it would seem we wouldn't have a single illegal, tax cheat, rioter, un-paid parking ticket violater or anything else. Instead, they go after those of us who work or own something so they can fine or tax it away.

Major Tom
11-02-2023, 06:44
I've been watching 'Air Disasters' on my Dish TV. If nothing scare you about flying, this collection of true stories and causes of plane crashes. Seems all crashes are the result of faulty maintenance, pilot error or mechanical failures. First two are the most prevalent!

Allen
11-02-2023, 06:57
I've been watching 'Air Disasters' on my Dish TV. If nothing scare you about flying, this collection of true stories and causes of plane crashes. Seems all crashes are the result of faulty maintenance, pilot error or mechanical failures. First two are the most prevalent!

This is one of my favorites as well. I like to figure out the problem that causes the crash before they announce it.

It shows that no matter advanced a plane may be or how good a pilot is there will always be crashes to worry about.

dryheat
11-02-2023, 08:43
-she said years ago- That's kind of key. It used to be "papers please". Those days are long gone.

I watch lots of the 'air disaster' vids. They aren't always disasters. Sometimes the crew does a marvelous job of saving the plane. Sully is an example. The worst ones are where companies get so cheap(or broke) that they fake maintenance records. The Alaska crash years ago was caused by lack of grease on the trim tab drive screw. The crew fought for hours trying to keep it in the air.
I don't worry for a moment about flying. It's statistically safer than driving. I like turbulence. If we go down it will probably be over quick. Anyone who gets in a fight on a plane should be banned for life.
I guess it should be, starts a fight. Either way.

Mark in Ottawa
11-05-2023, 07:30
Times have changed. Both of my daughters have kept their maiden name although in both cases, their husband's name is easier to spell and pronounce