PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use sight paint?

RED
10-13-2023, 11:00
I love my Tisas 1911 Service Model. The ringed hammer allows me to hold the grip high and not get my thumb web smashed! But the sights are a bit of trouble for my 78 year old eyes. I'd like to paint them so I can see them better but there are dozens of different paints, pens, etc. from $15- $54.

If you paint your sights, which paint is better?

lyman
10-13-2023, 12:40
testors model paint from a hobby shop,

or if you want to paint them white, get a bottle of liquid paper,

Phloating Phlasher
10-13-2023, 01:22
Whatever you use remember to put down a base white undercoat/primer first. Then I like the bright fluorescent colors for painting fishing floats.
Top off with clear nail polish or "clear-coat" if you have some.

JohnMOhio
10-13-2023, 07:45
I haven't tried it but I have heard on several occasions the person used nail polish in the color of their choice.

jcg&jmbfan
10-13-2023, 07:47
Would nail polish remover harm bluing?

Johnny P
10-14-2023, 07:08
Nail polish is just a lacquer. Should do no more harm than any other type of paint.

Doc Sharptail
10-14-2023, 07:31
Lyman sight black is great for front sights that have a high glare factory blued finish- which is the most common pistol sight problem for me.
Marble's for years did a rear sight with a plain white line.

I tried replicating the S&W blaze orange front sight with testor's model paint, and it worked~ sort of. The advice above on clear coating for final finish becomes sort of moot for holstered guns.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

lyman
10-15-2023, 01:03
Lyman sight black is great for front sights that have a high glare factory blued finish- which is the most common pistol sight problem for me.
Marble's for years did a rear sight with a plain white line.

I tried replicating the S&W blaze orange front sight with testor's model paint, and it worked~ sort of. The advice above on clear coating for final finish becomes sort of moot for holstered guns.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

be careful with the spray on sight black, it will build up over time and make the sight bigger,

when I used Irons in Service Rifle, we just used to soot them up, which was sometimes a plastic spoon and a lighter

5thDragoons
10-15-2023, 01:08
I always used acetylene smoke from a calcium carbide lamp... which has few applications for holster use. When shooting PPC, I re-blackened after every stage. SW

lyman
10-15-2023, 01:13
I always used acetylene smoke from a calcium carbide lamp... which has few applications for holster use. When shooting PPC, I re-blackened after every stage. SW

I have a container of it somewhere and the lamps,

picked up an estate last year that had 3 big sealed cans off it,

Phloating Phlasher
10-15-2023, 03:42
Carbide & carbide burners are getting problematic. At least around here they are
I found an alternative you might just have laying about.
Fatwood
Yep, the pine tar soaked fire starters.
I chop them into 1~2" sections then split them down to "matchsticks"!
Light one with a match, lighter or whatever & smoke'em if you got 'em!

https://www.betterwoodproducts.com/products/fatwood/

Vern Humphrey
10-16-2023, 02:03
testors model paint from a hobby shop,

or if you want to paint them white, get a bottle of liquid paper,

That's what I use, Liquid Paper. Try a run-through in a darkened room, both before and after and see what a difference it makes.

Ken The Kanuck
10-16-2023, 03:38
Just got back from the cabin, the young fella bought an over/under Savage .22/.410. Never been tried out. Both myself and my buddy (in the picture) are getting long in the tooth and were having a hard time with the sights being black on black. Squirted some orange spray in the lid and put a dot on the front sight using a Q-tip. Worked sweet after that, will have to give the kid a thumbs up on his purchase.

Doc Sharptail
10-16-2023, 08:52
Somebody's gonna being eating well soon!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

dryheat
10-16-2023, 09:55
Hunting with family and friends. All the best. Not the .410 I grew up with. But I always thought the combination made sense.

Phloating Phlasher
10-17-2023, 11:35
Nail polish remover is basically acetone. I don't really see it doing much to bluing?