PDA

View Full Version : So be it!

S.A. Boggs
10-11-2023, 11:49
The year I turned 70 I started to have eyesight problems, along with my spinal issues. As such I knew my days of taking recoil was gone unless I enjoyed the pain. Then my son's family came for Thanksgiving I gave them what I knew I could no longer enjoy. To my 18 yo grandson I gave my Ruger pre warning Super Blackhawk and Remington 700/30-06. To my son was my 870 and .357 Blackhawk.
I showed my grandson several cans of ammo and I said that I would give him a can each time I saw him but, I wanted the cans back with the spent brass.
My son gifted me with my A1 and that I can shoot comfortably and somewhat economically. Back in the early 70's I bought an SP1 and a bunch of G.I. brass dating to the early 60's. I still have much of this brass in my stash along with ball of that time frame.
What brought you to the AR?
Sam

JohnMOhio
10-11-2023, 04:23
Thought it would help should I get the chance to go the Perry. Haven't been to the range in nearly 8 years due to illness, mine and my Honey's fight with cancer. Bought some factory Remington and Winchester to test it out. Was not happy with the results. This year, bought some Sierra Match but never made it to the range. Oh well.....maybe next year. Hope so.

lyman
10-11-2023, 06:01
Thought it would help should I get the chance to go the Perry. Haven't been to the range in nearly 8 years due to illness, mine and my Honey's fight with cancer. Bought some factory Remington and Winchester to test it out. Was not happy with the results. This year, bought some Sierra Match but never made it to the range. Oh well.....maybe next year. Hope so.

which model and maker?

been to Perry 3 times, but only shot the games,

after quite a few years of not shooting , due to a job, I am now self employed and have some free time on ocassion to shoot a local match,

ended up with the realization that my old equipment, as in rifles, which were likely mediocre back in the day, were sub par now, so I bought a new WOA upper and scope,

scores improved greatly (but not yet where I want to be or was)
I also got voluntold to be the new score keeper, so even if I cannot shoot, I still have to go to the range to pick up the match score sheets and tabulate, report to the club, NRA etc etc
meaning a trip to the range at least once , likely 2 times equals practice and fun

back to the op,

piddled around in the early 80's, under Dad's tutorledge, on working on M16's and AR's,

at 18 he handed me a Sendra Receiver and said go build your rifle,

which I did, and many more afterwards,

did not get into comps till the mid 90's, after a few years of a shooting mentor (RIP) and a Bro from another Mo finally talked me into it,

did not shoot this month, even tho I was off and there,
low turnout, and the guy that normally calls the matches wanted to shoot, and I had a head cold, so I called the match so he could shoot,

JohnMOhio
10-12-2023, 08:29
Lyman, I had purchased a Rock River Nat'l match. Wylde chamber with an 8 twist. Personally I think it was the ammo I used and the barrel not broken in yet. Since then I purchased some Sierra Match to try but never managed to get to the range this year. Still weak due to the Covid injection induced stroke. I am sure it will perform as advertised.

lyman
10-12-2023, 01:11
Lyman, I had purchased a Rock River Nat'l match. Wylde chamber with an 8 twist. Personally I think it was the ammo I used and the barrel not broken in yet. Since then I purchased some Sierra Match to try but never managed to get to the range this year. Still weak due to the Covid injection induced stroke. I am sure it will perform as advertised.

of course handloads would go best, once you worked up a good load,

however that RRA NM will do well with just about any factory match load,

Friend has one he bought years ago, it did better than he could, even tho he is a high expert, (not quite Master yet()

JohnMOhio
10-12-2023, 07:54
That is what I understand Lyman. It is reportedly capable of 3/4 inch groups at 100. I purchased some 69 gr. SMK's to load. Most of what I have read these should be good at the 200 and 300 yard lines. Info based on what the Army M U. team uses. However they make their own loads for the 600 line. They have tried various bullets but the last I heard the 80 gr. Sierra seemed to work in most of their guns the most. They are using this 80 gr. at the 1,000 yard line but in a 1/7 twist uppers.