PDA

View Full Version : What dissolves old, dried Boiled Linseed Oil?

Phloating Phlasher
10-07-2023, 11:00
The real deal, "Stand Oil" not the "Home Improvement store" rubbish?
I have a bottle of it but the "Adult Proof push down & twist" cap's internal part is glued to the bottle neck by dried oil.
Any ideas?

Allen
10-07-2023, 11:13
Drill or cut a hole in the cap and pour the linseed oil into a different bottle or can.

I'm assuming the bottle has no collector value since it has a push and twist cap.

M1Garandy
10-07-2023, 01:27
If it is a plastic rig over a metal cap, pop the plastic off and apply a suitable application of Channellock pliers to the remaining metal cap.

Johnny P
10-07-2023, 08:03
Try soaking it in hot water before trying to remove the cap.

dryheat
10-07-2023, 09:57
Channel locks yes. Big ones.
I put the container in the vise. Tighten gently. Put the BIG channel locks on the plastic cap and turn. It'll come loose. Or do it old style; When the ketchup bottle cap was stuck my dad would run hot water over it and then tap the cap the handle end of a butter knife. That works too. Here in AZ after a couple of years the plastic cap gets so fragile it just falls off and then you don't have to deal with it any more.

Phloating Phlasher
10-08-2023, 11:59
Its a modern bottle, but glass. Because of that I'm avoiding honkin' big pliers & so on.
Guess what I put on my "Thonkin cap".
Dripped a little bore solvent in the inverted cap! Why? It removes stock finish!
Badda Bing, Badda Boom! Thanks for the ideas guys.

Fred
10-09-2023, 12:22
Acetone will. Absolutely and in just seconds.

Phloating Phlasher
10-10-2023, 06:57
But what will it do to the plastic cap components?

dryheat
10-10-2023, 09:25
Who cares? It's plastic. Good riddance. Do your part. Take the crumbs to the recycling center. But Acetone, what is the result of spilling a spoonful of that awful chemical? BLO- do you know what the ramifications are of using that? You get pretty wood, but can you sleep at night? I can and so can 99.9% humans. The real problem is: there's too many people on Earth who have access to cool chemicals.
So, what I'm saying is...
Sorry Phloating Phlasher if I've derailed your post.
It's always something: why do you have BLO in a glass container with a metal cap and a plastic cap? It doesn't compute. Correct me.

Phloating Phlasher
10-11-2023, 04:38
because that's the way it was packaged in the store where I bough it perhaps?
Brownells use metal cans, Michaels used plastic adult proof plastic caps.