PDA

View Full Version : Fresh home baked bread

S.A. Boggs
10-02-2023, 09:43
About three months ago we change how we eat in our home, including our K9's. We rarely eat out, including the Scottish restaurant that we enjoyed. Meals became more expensive and the quality less, especially bread products. Apparently, soy is now a main ingredient as I can attest to more gas. Same for store bought bread and declining flavor.
We now bake our own bread and also, no longer buy dog food of any type. Instead, our buddies eat what we eat, sans spices. Now at mealtime they patiently wait by their bowls instead of having to call them to come to chow. This morning was bread, chicken flavored rice and shredded chicken breasts. Dinner is sliced turkey, bread, mashed potatoes with Irish butter.
Our vet commented that our dog's eat much better than he does and no ill health to our buddies on this change of diet.
I bake bread 3-4x per week and we all love the smell of fresh baked bread. I also do Parker House rolls about 3x per month.
Sam

dogtag
10-02-2023, 12:50
No matter what sour dough I buy, I don't like the taste.
So I always toast it.

Allen
10-02-2023, 02:00
I always loved home made bread. It seems to go stale faster than store bought bread though unless eaten quickly.

My wife doesn't eat it and it wouldn't pay me to cook a loaf for myself. Though bread doesn't always have much taste it makes a good handle for sandwiches.

Now, in my past few months I got to where I had a lot of stomach problems, bloating, acid reflux, and a slow gain of weight w/o me doing anything different.

Reading the symptoms of being gluten intolerant It seemed to fit the bill so I gave up bread about a month ago. Immediately I lost 10#, 1# a day for 10 days. Then it stopped. Now I'm losing about 1/2 to 1# a week. ?????? The bloating/gas went away and my stomach hasn't hurt since so I was able to stop taking the Prilosec.

I still eat a little gluten in pasta but watch how much I take in. I read up on being yeast intolerant and the symptoms are about the same so with the bread I was getting both.

My Dad used to make beer bread about once a week. He found out he had type 1 diabetes and had to give it up. Now it's my turn.

I envy you being able to eat that home made bread. For me it is mostly in the past.

S.A. Boggs
10-02-2023, 02:58
We discovered about 7 years ago that Mom is gluten/lactic intolerant. There are some pretty good foods out in the open market that she can tolerant and aren't half bad. Bryers has a vanilla ice cream that is pretty darn good and doesn't bother Mom.
Sam
p.s. The children get 90% of the bread, baked a loaf today and it will be gone after breakfast tomorrow. My bread doesn't stay around 24 hours to go stale as the "children" love it, especially with homemade apple jelly that we make.
Sam

lyman
10-02-2023, 05:04
my wife is Celiac, and has been for 15 yrs or more,

I have learned to make cakes, torts, pies, etc,

but the breads are not as easy to make, and not as light,

she buys some store made brand bread, and it is actually not bad,

apple season coming in, so I will be making pies soon

S.A. Boggs
10-02-2023, 05:18
my wife is Celiac, and has been for 15 yrs or more,

I have learned to make cakes, torts, pies, etc,

but the breads are not as easy to make, and not as light,

she buys some store made brand bread, and it is actually not bad,

apple season coming in, so I will be making pies soon
Same here, I still have apples vacuum packed from last year in one of the freezers. The store stuff just isn't as good as it use to and I love to load mine up with cinnamon and Colby cheese.:banana100::banana100::banana100:
Sam

lyman
10-02-2023, 07:21
we buy a batch and fry them up then freeze,

we prefer heirloom apples if we can find them for pies (Northern Spy makes a damn good pie)
and stay away from most of the grocery store apples,

(red and gold delicious etc)

too many good old varieties to eat vs the mushy 'delicous' apples