PDA

View Full Version : Saturday coffee Aug. 19

5thDragoons
08-19-2023, 07:13
Must be summer - it was 80 when we went out @ 0500. Don't care for that much, but I see it's worse in a lot of places. Babysitting older daughter's dogs while her & SiL are on a guided walleye fishing expedition. I said I was bailing from writing for a while... not just yet. Publisher had already started scenes for another book, and I didn't think it would be cool to bail without telling him before the fact. So I'll take a break after this next project.

Which means plans for the day include writing - after I let the dogs out. Also staying inside. I'm not much for hot weather. SW

Allen
08-19-2023, 07:40
I have an old Sears self-propelled push mower with a Kohler (6.5hp?) engine. I use to use this for trim work and places where my larger mowers don't fit. I tried to start it last season and found that the control/stop cable had frozen up so I put it back to work on another day. This season I got it out again, topped off the tank with gas and tried to start it. I was quickly reminded that the cable that I never repaired, had rusted/frozen up.

After working with it a bit I got everything freed up. After 2 years+ I pulled the cord and it started on the first pull. These engines have an automatic choke that apparently works well. Mower is stored on a carport away from the rain but not moisture and temps. I wish they all ran this well.

Doc Sharptail
08-19-2023, 08:13
Must be summer - it was 80 when we went out @ 0500. Don't care for that much, but I see it's worse in a lot of places. Babysitting older daughter's dogs while her & SiL are on a guided walleye fishing expedition. I said I was bailing from writing for a while... not just yet. Publisher had already started scenes for another book, and I didn't think it would be cool to bail without telling him before the fact. So I'll take a break after this next project.

Which means plans for the day include writing - after I let the dogs out. Also staying inside. I'm not much for hot weather. SW

If guided, chances of them bringing back fish should be fairly high. Hope they do, and leave you a few. I likes eating them.
Still on first cup of retail donut shop coffee. Gonna be hot and hazy here too. +75 out there already.
There's been a big old Bald Eagle roosting along the Red lately. Went down yesterday with the big Tamron 500 cat, but he didn't show. I'll try again this evening if things ain't too hectic around here. Sil in hosp waiting to be fitted up with a pace-maker, so my plans could quickly go awry. She's one of those little wee tiny microscopic party hardy types, and actually a couple years younger than me.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

lyman
08-19-2023, 09:11
79 when i left the house a bit ago, was 62 when I got up,

will be back home in a bit to work on the driveway, got some patching to do (cracks in the asphalt,) and will seal it next week

5thDragoons
08-21-2023, 09:43
Doc, Report from the walleye expedition: one 22 incher and 4 throw backs. Guide claimed there's a hot weather migration going on at the moment. I know little of fish behavior other than they like to eat my worms and spit out the hook. But they had a great time toasting brats and the lone fish. SW

Doc Sharptail
08-21-2023, 09:54
Doc, Report from the walleye expedition: one 22 incher and 4 throw backs. Guide claimed there's a hot weather migration going on at the moment. I know little of fish behavior other than they like to eat my worms and spit out the hook. But they had a great time toasting brats and the lone fish. SW

Thanks for the up-date.
I'm no marine biologist either, but the guide may have something, especially with water temperatures. They get pretty sluggish with surface temps above 65 or so.
Bite around here usually starts to perk up final week of august with the cooler overnight temperatures. Favorite time for me to fish is early sept to mid oct.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail