PDA

View Full Version : Preparedness Update 2023

Art
06-04-2023, 03:02
I've mentioned stuff we've done in this area piecemeal over the years and thought I'd give a comprehensive update on how we've done things based on experience and stuff. Again, we're disaster preppers, not Armageddon or Zombie Apocalypse preppers. We have prepared for natural emergencies (hurricanes and stuff.) We're good for 2-3 months off the grid by ourselves or maybe half that if the kids have to stay with us.

Power: Last year we upgraded our portable generator (8200 starting watts 6500 running watts) utility by having an inlet jack and interlock plate installed. This allows us to operate the house directly off generator power, no extension cords running all over the place. We keep stabilized fuel on hand for about two weeks running the generator 6-10 hours a day to keep the refrigerator and the little chest freezer going and to maintain outside communication and keep stuff charged. In the last year we've also gotten a little mobile role around the house air conditioner (that little dude blows some cold air) and, thanks to the great Texas freeze of '21, a little electric space heater. We have also increased our supply of batteries and put them in a carrier that holds over a hundred AA and AAA batteries as well as some C and D cells and has a tester. We also have an extra 12 volt battery for the generator which is a key start model.

Food: Thanks to the Generator we can eat food from the fridge and freezer for 10-14 days with no public utility power, after that we'll get some more use out of that supply by filling the ice chests with stored ice and putting food in them.

Now we're into the "prep pantry." and long term storage food. We have three varieties on hand:

Canned food: Advantages - least expensive option, more nutritious than you would think, requires no water, long shelf life, appetizing for at least five years after the "best by" date and edible well past that. Disadvantages - extremely bulky and heavy, tends to be heavy on salt and sometimes sugar.

MREs: Advantages - extremely calorie dense, requires no water unless you use the Field Ration Heater and then it uses very little, decent storage life though not quite up to canned or freeze dried food standards, a bit bulky but very light weight so if bugging out is something you're contemplating its a good choice. Disadvantages - expensive and if you want the real stuff its a good idea to know a Military Member or retired Military Member with access to a PX. Heavy on the preservatives and not meant to be eaten long term. Living on these things exclusively for weeks or months can result in problems like "leaky gut syndrome."

Freeze Dried Meals: Advantages - almost indefinite storage life, very light weight, excellent "bug out" choice. Disadvantages - Expensive and sometimes hard to find, not calorie dense at all and if you stick to the recommended serving sizes you can find yourself on almost PoW rations. Some brands require pots for preparation, requires a lot of water and it needs to be hot. Not all are created equal, for example we've found Mountain House to have better ingredients and tastier than Wise.

Water: We have about 10 - 15 gallons of bottled water in reserve at all times. We also have a five gallon contractor cooler and a 20 litre GI jerry can made for water, we fill those at the first sign of trouble. Since we cook with gas we have the luxury of being able to boil water when the power is out. Water wasn't a problem here until the freeze of 21 when the city water failed and we went a week without potable city water. We used all of the water in the contractor cooler and jerry can in that time. We're going to need to increase our stash.

Hygene and Medical: There are complete first aid kits in the house and the car. The one in the car is a military field kit that is excellent. I've used it twice, once on myself and once on someone else. We also maintain about a year's worth of essential prescription drugs. The prep pantry contains bar soap, tooth paste, hand sanitizer, liquor, bleach, detergent, toilet paper, flushable and sanitary wipes, nitrile gloves, masks, over the counter pain medications and, since my gut is a mess because of medication stuff like laxatives and anti diahrreals.

Security: We have steadily upgraded our security. We have an alarm system we intend to upgrade this year. There are good locks on our exterior doors and a high end padlock on a latch inside the gate on our exterior fence. Our safe is bolted to the floor in a corner of the master bedroom closet and we just replaced the old hollow core door on that closet with a solid core door with security hinges and a good key lock. Everything valuable is inside that closet now and the really important stuff is in the safe in the closet. The master bedroom itself has a key lock. As an ultimate last resort, when all else has failed and we find ourselves in "the gravest extreme" we are well armed, especially important since I'm too old and sick to fist fight or wrestle anybody anymore.

Emergency Lighting: We have four kerosene lanterns and plenty of fuel. We also have four battery powered lanterns, a bunch of candles and plenty of flash lights and head lamps.

Last but not least, the prep pantry has both dry and canned cat food as well as "kitty litter" for the wife's baby kittys.

This is from our experience for our particular concerns, take it for what its worth and as usual YMMV.

P.S. Suggestions are welcome of course.

barretcreek
06-04-2023, 06:55
Beans and Rice form a complete protein I've read. Store the beans in air tight containers. Yeah, they are water intensive. Cooking oil for fat, canned tuna. Seasonings,spices, dried garlic, ginger, cinnamon, and others have health benefits as well as flavoring. May be looking at a longer time frame than you are.
Good plan, Art. We've been warned of rolling blackouts, although the hydro reservoirs look good. I am eating down the freezer.

Allen
06-04-2023, 07:11
Spam, jerky, dried fruit, honey, mustard, grits, oatmeal, chili powder (for flavor) and I've read before that a teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water will prolong the time it will keep.

dryheat
06-05-2023, 02:37
Food after fifty. No carbs (bread, rice). No sugar(for gods sake). No dairy. If your active, a little meat, greens. Lot's of water. A disaster isn't supposed to be comfortable.
But if you live to be 70 something that's pretty good. We never liked rules.

dryheat
06-05-2023, 02:45
Spam, jerky, dried fruit, honey, mustard, grits, oatmeal, chili powder (for flavor) and I've read before that a teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water will prolong the time it will keep.

It will keep but will you? I'd rinse the heck out of it.

Allen
06-05-2023, 06:13
It will keep but will you? I'd rinse the heck out of it.

City water has chlorine added to it for bacteria control. Same difference. Some chlorine weathers off overnight in open or vented containers. Personally I would do that before drinking.

barretcreek
06-05-2023, 07:53
One more. A small solar panel, deep cycle battery and a good inverter. Just enough to keep a small freezer going, spare energy for charging a phone, etc.
Again I may be looking at a longer time frame.

Allen
06-05-2023, 11:44
For some of us a small Coleman type camping stove or a cheap charcoal/wood burning smoker will boil water for coffee and cook food. Candles, preserves, matches/butane lighters.

If I had to prepare for an outage longer than 2 weeks I would get and use a vacuum sealer to make things last longer.

I have many of the items listed but I am guilty of not checking and rotating my stock often enough. Most things expire or start losing flavor and nutrition after a couple of years. You don't want to get caught in an emergency situation with old expired food.

Vern Humphrey
06-05-2023, 11:54
I have most of what's mentioned here -- when I built this house, I was thoroughly aware of power blackouts due to weather. In 2008-09 the wife and I spent 30 days and nights in the basement, heated with a wood-burning stove. We survived very comfortably. I've since added the biggest backup generator they make.

Art
06-05-2023, 09:14
If I had to prepare for an outage longer than 2 weeks I would get and use a vacuum sealer to make things last longer.

Those things are great! They can extend freezer storage life almost indefinitely and add days to the time you can store in a fridge or on ice. We ate some venison I'd vacuum sealed in 2015 a few weeks ago and it was still about as good as it was when we put it up. "Speckled Trout" the Texas name for Spotted Weakfish are tasty fish but don't freeze well. In Freezer paper or a baggy if you get a 4-6 weeks out of them in a freezer you're way ahead of the game. We've eaten vacuum sealed frozen Specs two or three years after catching them and they were still great eating. If you have a chest freezer these are a very worthwhile item. A fringe benefit is the frozen packages can stack in your freezer almost like lumber. We do check the packs every now and then because if they lose their seal you've lost the protection. No prob. though, if you catch it reasonably quickly, just stick the frozen food in a new bag and re seal it.