PDA

View Full Version : Still think EVs are the wave of the future?

Merc
04-18-2023, 06:09
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsuYxFBHsiQ

Johnny P
04-18-2023, 08:07
They are OK. Just do't park them near the house. Hard as heck to put them battery fires out.

Allen
04-18-2023, 08:34
This is what the government will soon be forcing us to buy and drive.

SUV's took the place of cars because people favored SUV's. NO, it was because nice large cars were no longer made.

Next, it will be EV's because gas powered vehicles will not be available or taxed to the point no one can buy them.

Merc
04-18-2023, 08:38
They seem to go directly to an intense burning situation very quickly and are also known to explode violently. I cant see how anyone in the car survives if it happens while the car is being driven.

Allen
04-18-2023, 09:25
They seem to go directly to an intense burning situation very quickly and are also known to explode violently. I cant see how anyone in the car survives if it happens while the car is being driven.

Sometimes these fires are hard to extinguish too.

Gives new meaning to the term "hot battery".

Merc
04-19-2023, 04:46
Sometimes these fires are hard to extinguish too.

Gives new meaning to the term "hot battery".

I read that it takes more than 6000 gallons of water to extinguish a typical burning EV. Highly flammable/explosive hydrogen gas is formed when the battery material is exposed to water. It’s like pouring gasoline on a burning fire. The best the firemen can do is to cool down the source and hope the burning material consumes itself.

Did you notice that the fire thats coming out from underneath the doors is under extreme pressure from the burning hydrogen gas, almost like a blowtorch. So, if you are the driver or a passenger, how do you escape?

Modern car 12 volt gel cell batteries are unvented, but the old lead acid batteries released hydrogen slowly as they discharged but could produce huge amounts very quickly and become explosive if there was a short circuit.

Allen
04-19-2023, 06:37
At one of my previous jobs long, long ago we/they had a large electric fork lift. The lead battery was huge and I was told it was 72V. When we put it on the charger it would emit so much odor/fumes it would take your breath. Less than 2' from this battery was the motor that powered the fork lift. All under the seat where the operator sat. It was always an uncomfortable feeling knowing this motor no doubt had some internal sparking going on when driving (it looked like a large starter).

Merc
04-19-2023, 07:06
That odor was likely hydrogen gas.

People fail to realize how much power is contained in the EV battery and understand that a malfunction could be catastrophic. The car manufacturers have to find a way to contain the fire or explosion. Its like driving a bomb on wheels that could go off at any time.

Johnny P
04-19-2023, 07:29
Trucks are expected to sometimes tow things, and the electric trucks just aren't up to the task. Plus, the charging stations aren't constructed in a way to get a truck and trailer to them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-trucks/towing-with-an-electric-truck-simply-isnt-worth-the-trouble/ar-AA1a1e6p

Dragonsdad
04-23-2023, 08:19
Tesla parked on a side road yesterday had me wondering why someone would leave it where it was.
Didn't seem to have a flat tire. The hood wasn't up. Then I realized I was thinking along the wrong lines.
There has to be a routine for the EV equivalent of running out of gas. I just have no idea what it could be other than expensive.

edpm3
04-23-2023, 09:00
Since the EV driver can't walk to the nearest charging station for a bucket of electrons, it has to be a flatbed to the nearest charging station, which, as you noted, ain't cheap. Maybe AAA will start patrolling the roads in trucks with big diesel generators.

dryheat
04-23-2023, 10:00
There are so many rich people money isn't an issue. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. It just seems that way. We import poor people. That screws up the numbers.

Major Tom
04-24-2023, 04:22
The Biden crime family is pushing EV because China makes the batteries for them. Biden's crime family gets a kickback! Also, it takes huge amounts of raw materials to build a EV battery which produces high amounts of emissions to the atmosphere. The collusion with China enabled China to build a EV battery factory here in the U.S. at taxpayer expense but owned and operated by China. EV vehicles are 'bad to the bone'!

Roadkingtrax
04-24-2023, 12:21
The Biden crime family is pushing EV because China makes the batteries for them. Biden's crime family gets a kickback! Also, it takes huge amounts of raw materials to build a EV battery which produces high amounts of emissions to the atmosphere. The collusion with China enabled China to build a EV battery factory here in the U.S. at taxpayer expense but owned and operated by China. EV vehicles are 'bad to the bone'!

E85, pushed by the corn lobbyists, is a crime upon the combustion engine population.

lyman
04-24-2023, 12:32
E85, pushed by the corn lobbyists, is a crime upon the combustion engine population.

truth,

Johnny P
04-24-2023, 07:18
Another case where producing the low emission product pollutes more than what they are replacing.

Johnny P
04-25-2023, 01:10
Three hot Ford Lightnings:

https://tfltruck.com/2023/04/2023-ford-f-150-lightning-fire-video-news/#:~:text=Dearborn%20Police%20footage%20shows%20the %20fire%20that%20broke,to%20stop%20production%20wh ile%20it%20developed%20a%20solution.

Major Tom
04-27-2023, 04:45

Probably the first post from you that is sensible and true.

M1Tommy
04-27-2023, 09:53
Tesla parked on a side road yesterday had me wondering why someone would leave it where it was.
Didn't seem to have a flat tire. The hood wasn't up. Then I realized I was thinking along the wrong lines.
There has to be a routine for the EV equivalent of running out of gas. I just have no idea what it could be other than expensive.

I wonder, just wonder... if said Tesla had a trailer hitch (possible? I have no idea), could a friend bring them a generator on a U-Haul trailer, connect the trailer to the Tesla, connect and start the generator and get home?
... just a thought that amuses me.
Tommy

PWC
04-27-2023, 09:55
You can't just go to the dealer and buy a new car anymore. In the case of Toyota, the mfgr determines their allocation. Last Dec 27 I bent my 2016 Prius (55 mpg) really bad. Went to buy a new one and none on any lots. Toyota sends advance notice which model they will send next w/in 30 days. Dealer didn't allow down payment to reserve, so it was first come first serve. I lost out on two, third one is mine. On 4/18 I beat out at least one person I know, because she came in 20 min after me, unhappy and crying.

Have a friend who has been waiting 4 mo for an electric Ford F 150.

I've had 2 other Prius, walk in and buy, no problem. I wanted a known hybrid because we don't know what is coming for the next 1 1/2 years out of Washington on energy.

Yeah, I know there are people here that are down on Prius for their own reasons. But, their opinions are like a'holes, everyone has one. In this instance, mine trumps.

lyman
04-27-2023, 11:10
You can't just go to the dealer and buy a new car anymore. In the case of Toyota, the mfgr determines their allocation. Last Dec 27 I bent my 2016 Prius (55 mpg) really bad. Went to buy a new one and none on any lots. Toyota sends advance notice which model they will send next w/in 30 days. Dealer didn't allow down payment to reserve, so it was first come first serve. I lost out on two, third one is mine. On 4/18 I beat out at least one person I know, because she came in 20 min after me, unhappy and crying.

Have a friend who has been waiting 4 mo for an electric Ford F 150.

I've had 2 other Prius, walk in and buy, no problem. I wanted a known hybrid because we don't know what is coming for the next 1 1/2 years out of Washington on energy.

Yeah, I know there are people here that are down on Prius for their own reasons. But, their opinions are like a'holes, everyone has one.

re the Prius, I test drove one maybe 6 or 7 yrs ago,

nice car, not the fastest off the line but would cruise at 80+ all day long, nice smooth ride,

did not car for the way it handled, I wanted something sportier, (bought a Cooper S)

generally speaking, Toyota makes a nice reliable car,
between the wife and i we have had 2 Celica's, a Camry, and 3 pickups (still have my Tundra)

re the dealers, a friend bought a new Maverick,
he was on a waiting list, got the call, went and test drove and bought it on the spot,
some guy came in as they were doing the paperwork, and when he realized he could not get a test drive, or buy that one, had a complete meltdown right in the middle of the showroom,

Roadkingtrax
04-27-2023, 02:57
Probably the first post from you that is sensible and true.

You're just getting smarter.

Johnny P
04-27-2023, 05:56
Biden administration says U.S. military vehicle fleet going electric. Think about that for a while. Slo Joe had to think this up himself. "We can get there", but there won't be anything there when we do.

Biden energy secretary doubles down on electrifying US military's vehicle fleet by 2030: 'We can get there'

Allen
04-27-2023, 06:13
Biden administration says U.S. military vehicle fleet going electric. Think about that for a while. Slo Joe had to think this up himself. "We can get there", but there won't be anything there when we do.

Biden energy secretary doubles down on electrifying US military's vehicle fleet by 2030: 'We can get there'

Yeah, those 70 ton tanks and C-5 Galaxie's are going to get a lot of mileage out of those lithium batteries.

lyman
04-27-2023, 07:06

when I was a kid, Dad worked at an AMSA unit, he was the Small Arms guy,
there was an Electronics guy, and a Supply Guy, (and a boss and secretary)
the rest were mechanics,

Dad always drove his vehicle, when having to visit other units etc, vs taking a military vehicle (either a car, or the pickup or blazer type)

why, cause he said he knew the mechanics, and he wanted to get there in back without breaking down,

granted, the cars available were basic model Dodge sedans,
or the stripped down, you will be deaf in an hour Chevy 5/4 ton pickup, or blazer,

barretcreek
04-28-2023, 10:41
ACE ran a funny today about driving an EV from Beaumont to El Paso. Such as 'let us know how it went'.

Johnny P
04-28-2023, 08:14
We use to go to Colorado in the fall of the year. About 15/16 hours of driving 600 or so miles the first day and about 500 the second day, arriving in the evening of the second day. With an EV should be able to make it easy in about three or four days unless we got stranded without a charging station.

Has Slo Joe started building the charging stations yet? Miles upon miles of New Mexico interstate with no power lines in sight.

dryheat
04-29-2023, 02:33
-Has Slo Joe started building the charging stations yet? Miles upon miles of New Mexico interstate with no power lines in sight.-
That would be my bet. New Mexico. Who goes there? Me. But flying into Albacurque is a lesson in boring views out the window.
It's part of the SW. Lots of worthless sand.