PDA

View Full Version : strange siting.

pcox
04-14-2023, 07:44
On nice warm evenings like tonight I like to sit outside in my lawn recliner and watch the planets emerge. Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn were easily identified. Once it got dark enough for the stars to be visible I caught site with my naked eye of a blue light moving across the sky rapidly. I got my binoculars on it and at first I thought it was the International Space Station, but soon realized that the sun was down too far for its light to be reflected off the ISS, and this thing was moving much more rapidly than the ISS. I watched it all the way to the eastern horizon and a couple of minutes later caught site of another blue light on the same trajectory. These things were screaming across the sky. I thought perhaps they were military aircraft, but there were no strobe lights or marker lights. Even at extreme altitudes strobes and markers can be seen, and these thing seemed to be above the atmosphere, there was no sound.

About twenty-five minutes later I witnessed the same thing again. If they were satallights, they were in low earth orbit and had their own light source. They were moving WNW to ESE across the sky. I first caught site of them about thirty degrees above the western horizon and tracked them all the way to the eastern horizon. If it's clear tomorrow evening I'll be watching again. There's no telling what's up there.

Allen
04-14-2023, 08:24
No need to report it. The gov't will quickly dismiss it as a "high tech, high speed, weather balloon" (that can tolerate supersonic speeds) or a $12 toy balloon that got away from some individual hobbyist.

Keep us updated please.

Dragonsdad
04-14-2023, 09:10
I'm not saying it's aliens, but...

seriously...
I'd be curious too.

appx an hour and a half ago going by the time stamps on our posts and you're way East of me.
I wonder if the moon wasn't too far below the horizon or even strong enough a light source to have been 'lighting them up' so to speak.
...just throwing it out here

Lighting what up, I won't even try to guess.

lyman
04-15-2023, 04:30
maybe a row of Starlink Sats?

Major Tom
04-15-2023, 05:00
It was reported yesterday that there were many more Chinese 'balloons' than were reported by the Biden 'balloon' people! It's all part of Biden's collusion with China to let these spy balloons crisscross our Nation!

pcox
04-15-2023, 12:53
These objects were not balloons. They were moving faster than anything I've ever witnessed in the sky. I've been around airplanes most of my life, I possess an Airframe and Powerplant Mechanics License from the FFA. I've seen plenty of fast aircraft but these were unusual.

- - - Updated - - -

Would they possess their own light source?

PWC
04-15-2023, 12:58

Maybe the Iridium sats? They are in stationary orbits but you can see them flash, reflect sunlight, in daylight

Allen
04-15-2023, 01:52
These objects were not balloons.

That's why I asked you to keep us updated. Lot of interest here.

Probably no relation to what you saw but look up TR-3B sometime. Old technology now.

Merc
04-15-2023, 08:07
Something moving so quickly might be just space junk re-entering the earths atmosphere.

Dragonsdad
04-15-2023, 10:53
any updates?

pcox
04-16-2023, 08:29
any updates?

No, it was cloudy all evening. I'll check it out again later this week.

Dragonsdad
04-16-2023, 10:30
No, it was cloudy all evening.

That's usually the way it goes for me, too.
Meteor showers / eclipses / almost anything worth viewing happens during an overcast.

Allen
04-16-2023, 01:01
Always raining here. Those martians can come and take over the world and we would never see them.

pcox
04-16-2023, 08:46
Update, I went to a little get together today, carry-in lunch with some friends. Those of us that play brought our guitars and jammed for a while. I related my experience of Friday night and one of the guys confirmed the siting. He is a retired Navy parachute rigger and served aboard the USS Constellation. He said he saw multiple objects and they were moving faster than any aircraft or satellite he had ever seen.

Merc
04-17-2023, 04:08
Low earth orbit satellites that attain an altitude of 150 miles must travel at more than 17,000 MPH to maintain that altitude.

RED
04-18-2023, 08:55
During my Navy years I eyeballed things at night that were obviously unknowable and my long range radar was essentially useless because of trash returns. The radar in those days were kinda like AM radio (I could as a kid listen to WLS radio in Chicago on my crude crystal radio in Ark) at night. There were words for that back then, bounce was one, second time around is another.

I also watched Sputniks in the 1950s and they were not lighted.

A UFO is simply something that you cannot identify but there are usually a simple answer. Here is one example.

https://apnews.com/article/alaska-sky-spiral-aurora-northern-lights-90e767058f328bb95bab62c3f5bed1cc

Just my $.02.

Vern Humphrey
04-18-2023, 10:11
Do I believe in UFOs?

Of course I believe in Unbelievably Fat Objects -- Whoopi Goldberg and Hillary Clinton, for example.

pcox
04-18-2023, 11:51
Low earth orbit satellites that attain an altitude of 150 miles must travel at more than 17,000 MPH to maintain that altitude.

The International Space Station is one such satellite. I think it's orbit is around 120 miles. I've observed it many times and it takes it a lot longer to cross the sky than what I saw Friday night. UFO? Probably could call it that, but it's bound to be of terrestrial origin, because as I've said before, if there were aliens out there we would be sending them foreign aid by now.

Phloating Phlasher
04-18-2023, 12:12
During my Navy years I eyeballed things at night that were obviously unknowable and my long range radar was essentially useless because of trash returns. The radar in those days were kinda like AM radio (I could as a kid listen to WLS radio in Chicago on my crude crystal radio in Ark) at night. There were words for that back then, bounce was one, second time around is another.

I also watched Sputniks in the 1950s and they were not lighted.

A UFO is simply something that you cannot identify but there are usually a simple answer. Here is one example.

https://apnews.com/article/alaska-sky-spiral-aurora-northern-lights-90e767058f328bb95bab62c3f5bed1cc

Just my $.02.

There's a Sci Fi short story based on this! They're doing an orbital discharge of material for scientific research purposes, but someone in the project has been bribed by "a major soft drink manufacturer" the venting nozzle has been micro etched into the company's logo! Being in hard vacuum the shape is maintained for a long time as the ejecta slowly dissipates. Its the world's largest lit up banner advertisement for the product every time it passes the solar horizon!

Vern Humphrey
04-18-2023, 01:49
The International Space Station is one such satellite. I think it's orbit is around 120 miles. I've observed it many times and it takes it a lot longer to cross the sky than what I saw Friday night. UFO? Probably could call it that, but it's bound to be of terrestrial origin, because as I've said before, if there were aliens out there we would be sending them foreign aid by now.

And they would be registered Democrats.:icon_lol:

PWC
04-18-2023, 11:28
First off, I don't believe in aliens.

1972 to 1975 I was stationed at Langley AFB, VA. which shares a common runway with NASA Langley. The NASA side of the base was nearly as big as the AF side. Anyway, I have a hobby of amateur astronomy and the NASA library allowed us to check out books. I spent many lunch times there. They had a set of "Project Blue Book", appropriately enough in blue hard bound books; don't remember how many, but at least 6. I looked at them in random fashion, and must say they were interesting, and MANY of the investigations, accompanied with pictures, were unsolved open ended with no conclusion. Sometime around 1974 the books were removed or checked out and never came back for the rest of the time I was there.

Now, the library check out policy was once checked out you could keep material until you were thru with it or someone else asked/needed it. I had their Norton Star Atlas for almost 3 years.

As an aside; there was a Program on TV called Project Blue Book. Also, The Invaders....watch out for people with crooked little fingers.

Vern Humphrey
04-19-2023, 09:03
First off, I don't believe in aliens.

Go to the border and you can see them coming across by the tens of thousands.

RED
04-19-2023, 10:24
FYI: the ISS orbits at about 256-262 miles and that varies by orbit. It?s speed is about 17,100 MPH.

dryheat
04-19-2023, 11:55
You are probably seeing some of the 3,000 Earth-Link satellites Musk has launched. We were camping in a dark area when about forty of them "flew" by us a year ago. They must have been recently pooped out and were all in a line.
Speaking of speed, Voyager that's been traveling for 45 yrs now, is moving at about 40,000 MPH.