PDA

View Full Version : 1942 Wilde

jeremy69
04-19-2010, 09:14
I have just aquired a 1942 Wilde Tool M1905. I think everything looks good but I am concerned the finish might not be original. :icon_scratch: I see what looks to be "pitting" under the finish, but have seen this in forgings before. The finish also appears darker than I would expect. The latch is a lighter color than the rest of the bayonet and the spring is still "in the white". I have heard that some early Wildes were blued, was that a fire blue or a Dulite blue? This could be a Dulite blue....? Grips and markings are correct as far as I can tell. It came with a "new" post war Victory Plastics marked M3, how terrible is that? Should I look for a war period Beckwith or Detroit Gasket? Any input is greatly appreciated. The attached comparison photo is of a 1943 Wilde, the darker is the 1942 in question. Thanks, Jeremy.

jeremy69
04-19-2010, 09:17
And the grips...

jeremy69
04-21-2010, 04:55
I could use a little help on this one.... Inspection period ends tomorrow...Please?

Duane Hansen
04-21-2010, 05:50
I would say that it has been refinished.

Dan Shapiro
04-21-2010, 06:10
Photo #2 - that looks like what I've heard described as "blood pitting" on the metal. I've got an M1 carbine with the same "imperfections" across the side of the receiver.

jeremy69
04-21-2010, 06:17
What is "blood pitting"? Casting flaw or rust? Could that be an early blued finish? Looks kinda like Dulite?

Bayonetman
04-21-2010, 07:22
Personal opinion based on the photos and not actually handling the bayonet - it MAY be right. I have not handled all that many early Wilde bayonets, but the one in my reference collection does appear to have been Dulite or something similar - a little too smooth and bluish to be regular Parkerizing. The parts appear to be correct. I contacted the current owners of Wilde a few years ago and unfortunately they have no records whatsoever of that time period, having moved some years ago and discarded all the old paperwork. I have no information that any of the companies used blue or Dulite, but the records of that period are fairly scarce and it is possible that Wilde did so at least on early production. Mine also has the "pitting" on the blade and in other areas, but again I THINK these are flaws that appeared in many of the Wilde bayonets. I will not commit myself, but this MIGHT be a very nice condition early WT.

jeremy69
04-21-2010, 09:44
Gary, thanks for your reply at this late hour... I just didn't know about this one. I paid $600 with the post war M3 and am leaning towards keeping it. What do you think? I don't see any cracks in the grips and it is a nice piece all in all... Thanks again, Jeremy.

jimb
04-25-2010, 07:54
I'd hang on to it. Any 16 inch Wilde is going for as much as $800 around here. Mine has a dark blue park on it and the finish isn't as uniform. The Wilde blades are roughly forged and mine also had that kind of pitting.

jeremy69
04-25-2010, 12:00
Thanks Jim. Inspection ended and I own it now. Does yours look like Parkerizing or could it be Dulite blue? I have read that early Wildes were blued, but cannot find any further info as to if it was a fire blue or Dulite blue. Is yours also a 1942? Thanks, Jeremy.

jimb
04-26-2010, 01:38
Mine appears to be blued. I don't think its Dulite. I have carbines with Dulite finish and they don't appear to be quite the same.