PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Ship Story

Art
01-21-2023, 12:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO4NAcFRXMQ

Ship still on active service with the Russian Navy after almost 110 years, and its not a training vessel or museum!!

Allen
01-21-2023, 02:03
Interesting. Thanks for posting.

kj47
01-22-2023, 01:42
Indeed interesting, thanks.

M1Tommy
01-22-2023, 06:53
Yes, that is interesting!
I watch his videos also.... pretty good, although I admittedly glaze over sometimes during some of his technical reviews.
I enjoyed his tales about the Battle of Tushima Strait. His humor cracks me up sometimes.
Tommy

Art
01-23-2023, 04:16
Yes, that is interesting!
I watch his videos also.... pretty good, although I admittedly glaze over sometimes during some of his technical reviews.
I enjoyed his tales about the Battle of Tushima Strait. His humor cracks me up sometimes.
Tommy

The thing that surprised me most was that any modern navy has an active ship that's over 100 years old. Major Russian naval units (cruisers and aircraft carriers) are long in the tooth, their cruisers and one aircraft carrier were launched down between 30 and 40 years ago. The reason is simply because the only shipyard the old Soviet Union had that could build anything larger than a destroyer is in The Ukraine. That cruiser the Russians lost in the war is truly irreplaceable in their current situation. Do I think that's one of the reasons for the current war...yup.

For a site that has a lot on WWII and later aircraft check out "Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles." That gets really technical, manifold pressures, blower speeds and stuff.

M1Tommy
01-23-2023, 08:23
The thing that surprised me most was that any modern navy has an active ship that's over 100 years old. Major Russian naval units (cruisers and aircraft carriers) are long in the tooth, their cruisers and one aircraft carrier were launched down between 30 and 40 years ago. The reason is simply because the only shipyard the old Soviet Union had that could build anything larger than a destroyer is in The Ukraine. That cruiser the Russians lost in the war is truly irreplaceable in their current situation. Do I think that's one of the reasons for the current war...yup................

And, another yep, spot-on.

............For a site that has a lot on WWII and later aircraft check out "Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles." That gets really technical, manifold pressures, blower speeds and stuff.

I'll look that up, thanks.

I also like some of the videos by a Mr. Ryan Szaminsky, the curator of the museum BB-62, USS New Jersey. He's pretty geeky but his videos are often interesting.

Tommy

oscars
01-23-2023, 08:41
Andrew Cockburn published a book in 1984 which was generally critical of the Soviet military. I believe that he described the crew on the Moskva which was made up very senior enlisted and officers. Moreover, the ship was supposedly towed out of port because of the piss poor seamanship of its crew.

M1Tommy
01-23-2023, 10:11
I was USN/USNR, late 80s - '93. We heard and read similar, but trained as if they had their acts together.
One tale, that I could never confirm or refute, was that many of the senior shipboard enlisted men could not leave their ship until their replacement, (think 'apprentice'), had qualified. That, and typ USSR corruption, would have made ships a real........ mess.

Tommy