PDA

View Full Version : Alcoholic Question

Allen
12-16-2022, 08:03
First off let me state again I'm not a big drinker and couldn't be if I wanted to. It takes a lot of the octane to give me a buzz and just a little to give me a hangover plus it gives me heart burn. Also, I don't promote drinking, at least in excess. All that being said my question is:

Why aren't mixed drinks made ready to buy in cans? I'm sure everyone has thought of this at some point. Why go to a bar and hang out with really strange and often drunk people you don't know when you could have the same drink at home, not on the highways and not around drunk people? Sure, a lot of drinks could be mixed at home from scratch but so many include never heard of stuff that you just don't keep in stock nor see for sale.

A lot of these recipes are down right complicated. I bought a (thick) book on how to make mixed drinks back in my college days and quickly discovered that you can mix anything with anything and call it anything.

How nice it would be though to open a can of ready mixed White Russian, Whiskey Sour, Hurricane, Mai Tai, Sloe Gin Fizz and endless so forth.

These would have to be sold where hard liquor is sold but non alcohol mixers could be sold anywhere. The only mixers I've ever seen at the stores were for Margarita's which is nothing but sweetened lime juice.

Just wondering.

lyman
12-16-2022, 08:13
supply, demand,

most are too easy to make,

and most folks have preference of brands , it they mix,

I used to drink Whisky Sours, and Long Island Ice Teas,,,but rarely made them at home,

I keep it simple, I drink my bourbon, or scotch, or Irish in a short glass with just a wee splash of water, or neat, or if it is a hot day, a cube,

or a G&T,, but I and the wife prefer Bombay Sapphire Gin, nothing else, and extra lime,,

would be hard to keep that fresh, or not taste like a can,

Allen
12-16-2022, 08:47
Figger'd it would be handy for camping, fishing, tail gate party's, back yard parties and such. Wine could come in a can too. It's already sold in plastic lined boxes.

Would it be any harder to keep fresh than a beer, lemon or lime juice sold in non-refrigerated bottles? Cans are plastic lined.

dryheat
12-16-2022, 09:35
There's women at bars. I discovered that I don't really like "fancy" drinks. Basically, it's what was mentioned. You can add any number ingredients, give it a goofy name and you have something "original".

blackhawknj
12-17-2022, 04:50
They used to sell them. 40 years ago I was commuting to school, one woman who became a commuting partner of sorts would open her purse, take one out. I kidded her about it being cocktail hour.

lyman
12-17-2022, 05:26
Figger'd it would be handy for camping, fishing, tail gate party's, back yard parties and such. Wine could come in a can too. It's already sold in plastic lined boxes.

Would it be any harder to keep fresh than a beer, lemon or lime juice sold in non-refrigerated bottles? Cans are plastic lined.

wine is sold in a can, some brands have been doing it for years,

a lot of the mixed drinks sold in a can or small bottle are malt beverages, as in brewed, and flavored , vs being what you would get in a bar,

Allen
12-17-2022, 06:06
I see plenty of wine coolers but not actual wine like is sold in the bottles.

What seems to be taking the market now are the seltzer drinks in cans. The ones I've tried taste like salty sea water.

I don't get it but plenty of others do so that's what's on the shelves.

Ken The Kanuck
12-17-2022, 06:27
When I was at Hot August Nights a few years ago you could get whiskey and coke in a can, you could also get it with diet.

KTK

Allen
12-17-2022, 06:52
When I was at Hot August Nights a few years ago you could get whiskey and coke in a can, you could also get it with diet.

KTK

I've heard about those but figured it was more of a whiskey extract flavor with a low 5% alcohol content but I haven't seen any for sale around here.

Vern Humphrey
12-17-2022, 07:03
It was more common to see canned add-your-own-alcohol mixers in cans.

Ken The Kanuck
12-17-2022, 07:28
I've heard about those but figured it was more of a whiskey extract flavor with a low 5% alcohol content but I haven't seen any for sale around here.

It said Jack Daniels on the can.

KTK

Allen
12-17-2022, 07:35
It said Jack Daniels on the can.

KTK

A step in the right direction?

Ken The Kanuck
12-17-2022, 11:26
A step in the right direction?

Being a Canuck it is a step in the right direction which is towards rye.

Scotch-undrinkable unless already drunk, Irish Whiskey, when there is nothing else except scotch, bourbon, pretty darn good, Rye - mother's milk.

KTK

lyman
12-17-2022, 12:49
Being a Canuck it is a step in the right direction which is towards rye.

Scotch-undrinkable unless already drunk, Irish Whiskey, when there is nothing else except scotch, bourbon, pretty darn good, Rye - mother's milk.

KTK

scotch is an acquired taste,

love me some smokey Islay single malts,

Jameson for Irish,

mid to top tier Bourbon, (no Jack for me, Jim Beam is OK to mix, but give me some of the other stuff to sip, )

tried Rye a year or so ago, Bulliet Rye is mighty fine,

SDigger
12-18-2022, 10:51
Tequila Cactus Juice one of the favorites in summer time’s here.

Art
12-18-2022, 05:25
supply, demand,

most are too easy to make,

and most folks have preference of brands , it they mix,

I used to drink Whisky Sours, and Long Island Ice Teas,,,but rarely made them at home,

I keep it simple, I drink my bourbon, or scotch, or Irish in a short glass with just a wee splash of water, or neat, or if it is a hot day, a cube,

or a G&T,, but I and the wife prefer Bombay Sapphire Gin, nothing else, and extra lime,,

would be hard to keep that fresh, or not taste like a can,

As I said on a previous thread on this subject my drinking is almost exclusively wine and an occasional beer. The spousal unit also has an occasional glass of wine but from time to time (maybe a couple of times a month) she likes a mixed drink, and as you said most of them are too easy to make at home. In order of preference she likes a Cuba Libre which is nothing more than Rum (Pussers Navy) and Coke with a twist of lime, Gin and Tonic, the same gin as you use again with tonic water (Fever Tree) and a twist of lime, rarely Jack and coke and I bet on one of these hot nights coming up she's going to want a Hot Toddy, whisky, lemon juice, and honey mixed in near boiling water with a cinnamon stick. Hot Toddy's are supposed to relieve colds. I actually tried one for that once and it did seem to help.

lyman
12-18-2022, 05:37
As I said on a previous thread on this subject my drinking is almost exclusively wine and an occasional beer. The spousal unit also has an occasional glass of wine but from time to time (maybe a couple of times a month) she likes a mixed drink, and as you said most of them are too easy to make at home. In order of preference she likes a Cuba Libre which is nothing more than Rum (Pussers Navy) and Coke with a twist of lime, Gin and Tonic, the same gin as you use again with tonic water (Fever Tree) and a twist of lime, rarely Jack and coke and I bet on one of these hot nights coming up she's going to want a Hot Toddy, whisky, lemon juice, and honey mixed in near boiling water with a cinnamon stick. Hot Toddy's are supposed to relieve colds. I actually tried one for that once and it did seem to help.

not a rum guy, had a bit too much in college, and quit it,

generally the only light color likker I drink is gin,

another good hot drink

English tea, shot of good scotch or bourbon, spoon of honey, mix, stir, consume,

tasty

Mark in Ottawa
12-19-2022, 06:31
For some cocktails you can get powdered mixes that contain all the needed ingredients except the alcohol itself and the ice.

Allen
12-19-2022, 06:35
For some cocktails you can get powdered mixes that contain all the needed ingredients except the alcohol itself and the ice.

Good to know. I have not seen those yet for sale.

Mark in Ottawa
12-20-2022, 12:10
Good to know. I have not seen those yet for sale.

I just checked Amazon and they seem to have both liquid and powdered mixes

Allen
12-20-2022, 12:27
I just checked Amazon and they seem to have both liquid and powdered mixes

Thanks !!!