PDA

View Full Version : Fishing

Ken The Kanuck
11-19-2022, 12:58
Had a grouse hunting thread, so I was wondering what kind of fishing you enjoy. Here it is trout at the lake and salmon in the salt chuck. This picture is from September, if I remember correctly, we were fishing for 6 hours or so.

There are what we call spring salmon (maybe the American term for these is king salmon and a sockeye which I think are the same on both sides of the border.

Now sockeye although smaller are the best in my opinion, especially smoked.

Funny how different the names of things are depending on which side of the border you are on. Up here a 4 point deer has 4 points on 1 antler and we do not count the brow tine on a mule deer, but we do on a white tail. Same south of the border on the brow tine?

Again sorry about the side ways picture.

KTK

Allen
11-19-2022, 01:16
I was wondering what kind of fishing you enjoy.

I would have sat in one of the lawn chairs at the camp from your grouse hunting thread and dropped a line in the water.

barretcreek
11-19-2022, 03:31
Yum.

jon_norstog
11-20-2022, 01:20
I'll take ocean fishing any day. Inshore or offshore. I wish I had an offshore boat, so I could go out for albacore. The limit on them is 25 fish, and they run 15-25 pounds. Salmon from the ocean taste better, too IMHO.

jn

Art
11-20-2022, 01:31
I love fly fishing but am not mobile enough to do it now. I've done a lot of fishing off the rocks at Galveston and enjoy it very much. Salt water fishing you never know what you'll get though in Texas your odds for the upper end game fish are weighted toward Speckled Trout (Spotted Weakfish,) and Redfish (Red Drum.) and an occasional Spanish or Cero Mackerel, Flounder (mostly in late fall,) Mangrove Snapper (late Summer mostly,) and, once in a while Pompano :eusa_dance:. Then there are the panfish that tend end up in the cooler along with the others, Golden Croaker, Whiting, and Sand Trout; small but yummie.

After the catch I release my fish into "Crisco Bay." :icon_lol:

You are correct. Those Salmon are called King Salmon in the lower 48.

Allen
11-20-2022, 02:24
I'll take ocean fishing any day. Inshore or offshore. I wish I had an offshore boat, so I could go out for albacore. The limit on them is 25 fish, and they run 15-25 pounds. Salmon from the ocean taste better, too IMHO.

jn

At my last job along the Gulf Coast, many of my co-workers were into salt water fishing. They lived for the biggest Triton or catamaran hull boat they could afford. Often they would bring in their catch to cook for us. The first catch they would say cost them $80,000. The second would only be $40,000. Then $20,000, $10,000 and so forth. The value of the fish = the cost of their boat/engines/fuel/tackle/truck to haul.

One thing about salt water fishing is you never know what you're going to pull up. It could be a red fish, a great white shark, a stingray, or a crab.

Vern Humphrey
11-21-2022, 11:49
My last tour in Viet Nam, when I was a company commander, we used to rotate companies through the Cua Viet Naval Base -- a small base at the mouth of the Cua Viet river, just below the DMZ. Our antagonists were the 27th Naval Sapper Battalion, which would try to put mines in the river. We kept the north bank of the river saturated with ambushes. We'd put them out by boat at night and pick them up the next morning. And just to be sure, we'd sweep the river for mines, by stringing paravanes and throwing concussion grenades over the side.

HUGE fish would come to the surface -- we had some great fish frys!