Scott Wilson
04-18-2010, 04:35
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/isky_bucket/TrenchStuff008.jpg

Nick Riviezzo
04-19-2010, 04:03
Very nice Scott, I love the compass. Nick

Scott Wilson
04-19-2010, 05:54
Thanks Nick, it is a Waltham that was given to me a few years ago by a friend who collects military compasses. Come to think of it, I bought some of the other items in the photo from him also.

JBinIll
04-19-2010, 10:02
Nice display. LOL I'm still trying to find brass rods for my M1912 box.They seem to be unobtanium.

Scott Wilson
04-19-2010, 11:24
My kit was complete when I bought it and the original bore brushes have never been used. The squad cleaning kits are very interesting to me and I need to find a WWII example someday.

JBinIll
04-19-2010, 11:40
My kit was complete when I bought it and the original bore brushes have never been used. The squad cleaning kits are very interesting to me and I need to find a WWII example someday.

Are the brushes the fiber ones or brass?I put together a WW2 one quite easily from separate components picked up a piece at a time with the exception of the brushes.I found it was interesting the brass oilers are found easier than the steel ones although usually the brass ones are higher priced.If that is the nomenclature tag with the box could you post a clearer view?

Brad
04-19-2010, 01:22
Very nice display.
What postoli' does it all go with??
Brad

Scott Wilson
04-19-2010, 03:04
The brushes are the early fiber type. I'll post a closeup of paper but it mainly shows unit information and really has nothing to do with the kit, although it was in it when I got it.

Scott Wilson
04-19-2010, 08:45
Here is a closeup of the paper.http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/isky_bucket/DSC00781.jpg

emmagee1917
04-20-2010, 08:31
No , that IS part of the kit. That is the tag that was on the "shipping box" the kit was orig. packed in. The kit IS the M-1912. The DWG is the sheet of paper where all the specs and line drawings of the kit can be found. The "D" indicates the size of the sheet ( therefor what drawers it would be found ) and 35400 is the sheet number. These are the same numbers found on garand parts , like bolts , for example, that collectors go googoo over to find the right -x revision number to make correct. ISN and SNL numbers are for inventory control and reference to info on what is in the box without having to open it.
Chris

Dan Shapiro
04-20-2010, 10:59
Personally I think there was some sadistic SOB at Springfield, and after work one day stopped off at the local bar with some of his fellow workers. After several drinks he said "Hey! I know how we can screw with weapons collectors in the future. Let's start stamping all the parts with numbers! And every so often, we'll change the number on the part and leave no paperwork explaining why. That'll drive 'em nuts!"

Then another guy chimed in with "Yeah, we'll call the changes "revisions" and add a sequential number to the part. And sometimes we'll put a dash between the part number and the revision number, and sometimes we won't."

Then a third guy (a real wise guy) said "Hey! And then we'll stop marking certain parts and put no number at all!"

They all went home laughing their a$$es off!

JBinIll
04-20-2010, 11:30
Here is a closeup of the paper.http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/isky_bucket/DSC00781.jpg

Thank you sir,that is what I was looking for.

Scott Wilson
04-20-2010, 03:01
Chris,
Thanks for the correction, it had been so long since I looked at that paper that I had forgotten that it did concern the kit.
No , that IS part of the kit. That is the tag that was on the "shipping box" the kit was orig. packed in. The kit IS the M-1912. The DWG is the sheet of paper where all the specs and line drawings of the kit can be found. The "D" indicates the size of the sheet ( therefor what drawers it would be found ) and 35400 is the sheet number. These are the same numbers found on garand parts , like bolts , for example, that collectors go googoo over to find the right -x revision number to make correct. ISN and SNL numbers are for inventory control and reference to info on what is in the box without having to open it.
Chris

PhillipM
04-28-2010, 11:52
Personally I think there was some sadistic SOB at Springfield, and after work one day stopped off at the local bar with some of his fellow workers. After several drinks he said "Hey! I know how we can screw with weapons collectors in the future. Let's start stamping all the parts with numbers! And every so often, we'll change the number on the part and leave no paperwork explaining why. That'll drive 'em nuts!"

Then another guy chimed in with "Yeah, we'll call the changes "revisions" and add a sequential number to the part. And sometimes we'll put a dash between the part number and the revision number, and sometimes we won't."

Then a third guy (a real wise guy) said "Hey! And then we'll stop marking certain parts and put no number at all!"

They all went home laughing their a$$es off!

Actually either Major Culver or Gus Fisher related an armorer in the 70's was going to add some markings hidden under the stock just to tick off collectors on some sniper rifles.

Johnny P
04-28-2010, 12:19
Is the grease/parts can galvanized finish? If so, probably a WWII repack.

Scott Wilson
04-28-2010, 12:39
It does look galvanized. I guess I should look for a brass finished one.