PDA

View Full Version : What caliber gun has killed the most deer in No. America?

RED
10-09-2022, 05:49
I looked it up and the so called experts have decided the 30-30 is the winner, hands down.

I think they are way off. There have been millions of deer poached in the last century and most of them were killed with a .22LR.

What do you think?

lyman
10-09-2022, 06:13
talking to a few Game Wardens over the years, and they seem to think the same

22LR has dropped a ton of Deer (not legally) in VA

barretcreek
10-09-2022, 06:15
+1 Worked with a guy from UP. Only had one gun; Savage .22M/20. Said it kept meat on the table year round.

Allen
10-09-2022, 07:22
I believe that is a fact that state officials want to conceal because a .22 is not suppose to be strong enough and have the bullet mass to kill a deer.

Use to work with a deaf co-worker. He told me once he hunted deer and all he ever used was a .22LR. When I told him that was illegal he just shrugged his shoulders and said he was deaf and didn't know the laws.

Art
10-10-2022, 07:57
talking to a few Game Wardens over the years, and they seem to think the same

22LR has dropped a ton of Deer (not legally) in VA

yup, it depends on whether you're talking about legally or illegally although the illegal use of .22s (including .22 shorts) seems to have dropped off. There's no sure way of telling but .30-30 has killed a lot of deer and though its percentage has dropped off over the past 40-50 years it still kills a bunch every season.

Vern Humphrey
10-10-2022, 11:06
It goes the other way, too. In Arkansas, the regulation for squirrels, crows, and so on is "Nothing larger than .22 rimfire" EXCEPT "when there is a modern or muzzleloading season in effect for deer, bear and coyotes."

Coyote season is from Jan1 to Dec 31!:banana100:

I use my .22 Hornet for crows (legally) and often hunt squirrels with an '03A3 Springfield, using a 160 grain Lee cast bullet ahead of about 27 grains of AA 5744. During deer season, I keep a Hammond Game Getter in my pocket -- this uses a .22 nail-setting blank to fire a sized buckshot in my .30-06 Model 70

Allen
10-10-2022, 12:30
It goes the other way, too. In Arkansas, the regulation for squirrels, crows, and so on is "Nothing larger than .22 rimfire" EXCEPT "when there is a modern or muzzleloading season in effect for deer, bear and coyotes."

So in AR it would be illegal for me to kill a squirrel with my 50bmg? Who would know? It's not like someone would see a wounded squirrel hobbling around.

RED
10-10-2022, 01:20
I have killed at least 3 whitetails with a .22 pistol. All were injured in some way or another 2 in car crashes and one great big 12 point buck. It was 2 weeks after deer season had ended and he had a broad head arrow that was imbedded in a shoulder blade and was struggling to get out of a soft bog. The infection was so elevated you could smell him yards away. The .22 was the only weapon I had and one round to the back of his head ended his suffering. As with any game, placement is extremely important, whether it is a .22, 30-30, or a bow.

Allen
10-10-2022, 01:36
I don't bow hunt. I don't hunt at all, but from what I gather most all arrow shots are for the body part of the deer and there's practically never a clean kill.

bruce
10-10-2022, 01:46
The .22 LR round is a remarkable almost nothing of a round. Little boys have been known to think they could stop a .22 LR from exiting the bore of a rifle by merely holding their thumb over the muzzle. Nope. At least on one occasion a single common .22 LR round fired from a non-descript little rifle killed a full-grown African elephant after it penetrated sufficiently for the unfortunate (depending upon point of view) elephant to expire. Only God knows how many people have been killed by the .22 LR round. Between the good folks and the bad folks, the ugly truth is that the little .22 LR has likely killed more people than any other pistol caliber ever created. For that matter, fired from a rifle, the .22LR may have killed more people than any one single round used by any one particular army/nation. So, it comes as no surprise that the .22 LR has very likely killed more deer than any other round in deer hunting history. After all, it works. On a number of occasions, I've managed to get very close to a deer out in the woods. A few times, just to see if I could, the distance was maybe 10 feet. Once I could have touched a doe w/ a golf club. The first deer I ever killed was shot at the long long distance of 25 feet. Yep! Actually, probably a bit closer. I most certainly didn't need the .30-06 that I used. If I'd had a .22 LR rifle in my hands or even my beloved S&W 18-2, I could certainly have dropped that buck or the afore mention doe with no drama by putting a common lead .22 LR bullet into its brain pan. Sincerely. bruce.

RED
10-10-2022, 02:06
So in AR it would be illegal for me to kill a squirrel with my 50bmg? Who would know? It's not like someone would see a wounded squirrel hobbling around.

Hunting crows in Arkansas has some strange limits. No limit on numbers but during the season you can only hunt them from Thursday through Monday.

Allen
10-10-2022, 02:44
All states and cities have some strange laws on the books. More laws than people can keep up with. I suppose the main reason is so there will always be a source of revenue for fines?

In Mobile, AL it is illegal to drive a stage coach down certain streets. Not that anyone is going to do it NOW, but some laws were just never changed or omitted.

lyman
10-10-2022, 04:06
Hunting crows in Arkansas has some strange limits. No limit on numbers but during the season you can only hunt them from Thursday through Monday.

not sure if it is still in place, but Crows in VA at one time could only be hunted Mon, Wed, Fri

there is also a specific section on a river in the western part of the state where you shoot fish, legally, from a ladder in the river or boat, with a rifle,

that's right , fishing with a firearm

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title4/agency15/chapter320/section150/

Allen
10-10-2022, 04:21
fishing with a firearm

I tried that. Fish sank.

lyman
10-10-2022, 06:35
I tried that. Fish sank.

had an Aunt years ago, several times removed, that owned a piece of property outside of Roanoke that had a pond at the base of the hill,

spring fed,

Carp got in it and good too big,

one of my Cousins used a jonboat and would row up to the spring creek feeding it and shoot them,

he would toss them over the other side, down in the woods below the dam,

cows left them alone, but the other critters ate good that night

dryheat
10-10-2022, 11:52
For some reason catching fish came up in the discussion. She was telling me that they caught fish with just line hand held. I mentioned that the good ol boys down south caught catfish by just jamming their fists in their mouths. There's a term for it.
I've caught fish from under embankments. Y,know, moss backs. I do it the old fashioned way. I always let them go. It's a better memory.

dryheat
10-11-2022, 12:37
I have killed at least 3 whitetails with a .22 pistol. All were injured in some way or another 2 in car crashes and one great big 12 point buck. It was 2 weeks after deer season had ended and he had a broad head arrow that was imbedded in a shoulder blade and was struggling to get out of a soft bog. The infection was so elevated you could smell him yards away. The .22 was the only weapon I had and one round to the back of his head ended his suffering. As with any game, placement is extremely important, whether it is a .22, 30-30, or a bow.

That's damn good Red. I shot a deer lying on the hiway (out in the country) just after it had been hit by a car or something. Ruger Mark I pistol. After I drug the carcass into the ditch the lead was still lying on the pavement. Went completely through. I momentarily wondered about putting it in the trunk and taking it home but that was a dimwit idea. We don't have deer up the ass like some parts of the country.

I can't imagine killing a deer with a .22. Well, I guess if I try I could. The biggest thing I've shot is a snowshoe hare when I was twelve. Except for the deer.

JimF
10-11-2022, 05:52
. . . . . I could certainly have dropped that buck or the afore mention doe with no drama by putting a common lead .22 LR bullet into its brain pan. Sincerely. bruce.

Bruce, you reminded me of the story a friend (now departed) once related to me . .

Back in the 1940?s, Ken was married to a nurse at a local hospital (back when nurses wore ?hospital white? uniforms) and Ken worked for the power company.
His job was to walk the high tension power line through the woods and valleys for a distance of some 10 or 12 miles. He often toted a .22 rifle and would sometimes ?pot? a whitetail by carefully placing his shot in the ear canal, into the brain. Later, he would contact his wife to help him drag the deer home. Sometimes she would still be in her white uniform, which didn?t go down too well with her.

jjrothWA
10-11-2022, 07:33
At least the .50BMG, eliminates the cleaning and gutting phase and the cooking / eating phase!

Vern Humphrey
10-11-2022, 04:01
not sure if it is still in place, but Crows in VA at one time could only be hunted Mon, Wed, Fri

there is also a specific section on a river in the western part of the state where you shoot fish, legally, from a ladder in the river or boat, with a rifle,

that's right , fishing with a firearm

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title4/agency15/chapter320/section150/

That started right after WWI when the good 'ol boys brought home surplus military rifles, and were looking for fun things to do with them.

lyman
10-11-2022, 06:43
For some reason catching fish came up in the discussion. She was telling me that they caught fish with just line hand held. I mentioned that the good ol boys down south caught catfish by just jamming their fists in their mouths. There's a term for it.
I've caught fish from under embankments. Y,know, moss backs. I do it the old fashioned way. I always let them go. It's a better memory.

Noodling,

there are some Vids out there of a young woman with some of her family,

little bitty woman, catches catfish that are quite large ,

Allen
10-11-2022, 07:50
I knew some folks that moved into our area that were from the "hills". They fished all the conventional ways but used an old guitar string to fish for fish that would not bite bait on a hook.

In shallow streams I've often seen these huge fish (30" or so) drifting about ever so slowly not paying any mind to anything or anyone. These folks I spoke of would lay on the bank of the stream and patiently wait for them then slowly guide the loop end of the guitar string around their head and jerk them out of the water.

The only guess I can come up with is these are sturgeon's. They aren't catfish or gars. They're long, light colored and move very slowly.

Now, is there a term for fishing with a guitar string other than "redneck fishing"?

jmm03
10-12-2022, 11:11
the deer population grew past sustainability(due to misguided management) years back in New Jersey and Fish and Game had to cull the over population due to disease, starvation and death by auto. the story I heard was the game warden would find out where the little old ladies in town were feeding the poor creatures and then set up at night with a suppressed .22 and thin the herd. Maybe just a good story, but efficient at any rate. Oh, Mr.Humphrey, wasn't 160 grain a little over the top for bushy tailed rats? Jim

lyman
10-12-2022, 02:36
the deer population grew past sustainability(due to misguided management) years back in New Jersey and Fish and Game had to cull the over population due to disease, starvation and death by auto. the story I heard was the game warden would find out where the little old ladies in town were feeding the poor creatures and then set up at night with a suppressed .22 and thin the herd. Maybe just a good story, but efficient at any rate. Oh, Mr.Humphrey, wasn't 160 grain a little over the top for bushy tailed rats? Jim

I know a guy that is an avid bow hunter,

he and his club go into the high end neighbors and bow hunt,

rules are kill all you can, but they better be clean kills, as in if you unsure of the shot, don't,

no residue, drag the deer out and gut it at home,

and not around any people,

the rich folks don't want to do the deed, or see it done, but are tired of replanting ornamentals,,

dogtag
10-12-2022, 03:44
I'm assuming these Deer killers were HV like Stingers ?

The June 71 copy of American Rifleman has a large section devoted to
the history of the 22 from the first Short 1857, First Long 1871, LR 1877
plus all the early variants. The article shows boxes going all the way back
plus a pic showing 40 different head stamps. Real interesting stuff.

Art
10-12-2022, 03:54
I know a guy that is an avid bow hunter,

he and his club go into the high end neighbors and bow hunt,

rules are kill all you can, but they better be clean kills, as in if you unsure of the shot, don't,

no residue, drag the deer out and gut it at home,

and not around any people,

the rich folks don't want to do the deed, or see it done, but are tired of replanting ornamentals,,

Well, its pest control, but yeah you're right. Our daughter likes to hunt and fish but won't kill anything with fur. Birds and fish, ok deer, rabbits, squirrels, no dice. We all have our "sensitivities."

One of my best friends used to razz me often about being a hunter, finally I told him you enjoy a good steak, right? Upon his affirmative answer I told him that the difference between him and me was he always hired a hit man while I did some of my own killing.

Allen
10-12-2022, 04:03
I'm assuming these Deer killers were HV like Stingers ?

The June 71 copy of American Rifleman has a large section devoted to
the history of the 22 from the first Short 1857, First Long 1871, LR 1877
plus all the early variants. The article shows boxes going all the way back
plus a pic showing 40 different head stamps. Real interesting stuff.

Along with BB caps in 1845. Also, somewhere along the line the powder switched from black powder to smokeless.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, its pest control, but yeah you're right. Our daughter likes to hunt and fish but won't kill anything with fur. Birds and fish, ok deer, rabbits, squirrels, no dice. We all have our "sensitivities."

One of my best friends used to razz me often about being a hunter, finally I told him you enjoy a good steak, right? Upon his affirmative answer I told him that the difference between him and me was he always hired a hit man while I did some of my own killing.

I would be a vegetarian if I could find and stomach an alternate source of protein.

My wife will only eat chicken and some seafood's. A friend of ours developed cancer from red meat not digesting or being slow to digest in her system so my wife hasn't touched red meat since and won't touch pork due to the fat/salt/preservatives.

Art
10-12-2022, 04:48
Feathers.

My daughter and I on our first duck hunt together (it was a guided hunt.) She killed 5 birds with 17 shells and asked me if that was good. I told her most people on their first hunt against live targets are lucky to get a feather. The gal can shoot a shotgun. She's slightly built and one of the guides offered her a 20 gage automatic, she shoots a 12 gage Remington 870. I told the young man "she'll be fine."

You'll see a beautiful ringneck drake on the strap, I should have had him mounted.....oh well. I got him and his hen as a double, don't do that every day let me tell you.

Allen
10-12-2022, 04:58
Good picture of all of you.

A lot of work and eating on those birds.

Art
10-12-2022, 05:04
Good picture of all of you.

A lot of work and eating on those birds.

Funny you should mention that. Between us and the guides we had 24 birds. On the way out they told us they were all ours. We talked a young apprentice guide into taking one limit (6) but that's still 18 birds left for us. The hunt was a gift to my daughter who had always wanted to go but she knew I wasn't going to clean 18 birds by myself. At that point one of the guides said we'll clean them for you for $4.00 a piece. She said "sold."

Allen
10-12-2022, 06:49
Reminds me of a time long ago when 2 others and I set out nets and caught 111 flounders and some other fish. When we got back to the camp after a short boat ride we were all exhausted. Then it occurred to us that we had to clean all those fish.

$4 to clean a duck was a good deal, especially X 18.