PDA

View Full Version : Rememberance of Childhood

Allen
09-26-2022, 09:03
Memories

dogtag
09-26-2022, 02:45
Watching Lawrence Welk was like going to the Dentist.
I wondered how Ed Sullivan got to be so popular when he couldn't even speak English

Allen
09-26-2022, 02:57
I wondered how Ed Sullivan got to be so popular when he couldn't even speak English

By introducing the Beatles to America.

Lawrence Welk never left the 1930's.

dryheat
09-27-2022, 06:31
The Beatles was about the only thing I liked on the show. I hated Toppo Gigio and most of the goofy acts. All those women with gloves up to their elbows singing something like opera.

Major Tom
09-27-2022, 08:30
Thanks again allen! Keep up with the cartoons!

dogtag
09-29-2022, 02:26
I recall one Ed Sullivan show featuring Opera Star Birgit Nillson.
It was explained several times to Ed how to pronounce her name.
He nodded that he understood and then Announced her as Bridget Nelson.

dryheat
09-29-2022, 02:38
wunnerful, wunnerful, wunnerful
Tank you Bobbie and Susie

fguffey
09-29-2022, 04:38
Remembrance of Childhood

We had a different childhood, I have no idea when the age of childhood came to an end, at 14 I was at the Marine Corp recruiting office trying to volunteer, Lawrence Welk, Ed Sullivan? We did not have a TV.

F. Guffey

dryheat
09-30-2022, 03:31
When I went to San Diego for Navy boot camp we had an AM radio up on a shelf. Some of us listened to 'come together". 'He come on flat top, he come groovin up slowly..'
It was a touch of hometown. I was a little shocked when I heard a kid say he hated that song. I get it. fguffey was raised in the country too. Pennsylvania maybe?. One day I want to go there.

jmm03
10-01-2022, 12:08
Re the first cartoon. We didn't try it at home because it would result in an ass whupping, so we went elsewhere. It truly is a wonder some of us survived really, but we sure had fun. Jim

Allen
10-01-2022, 12:30
Re the first cartoon. We didn't try it at home because it would result in an ass whupping, so we went elsewhere. It truly is a wonder some of us survived really, but we sure had fun. Jim

+1

I think a lot of our common sense developed from trial and error, getting hurt, getting dirty, having fun, staying outside, exploring, playing with others and observing what happened to others when they pushed their limits.

But through it all we knew that shooting someone in the face would do more harm than just smutting their face as shown in cartoons. Now days the networks can probably be sued for showing such. Pitiful.

Vern Humphrey
10-01-2022, 12:45
+1

I think a lot of our common sense developed from trial and error, getting hurt, getting dirty, having fun, staying outside, exploring, playing with others and observing what happened to others when they pushed their limits.

But through it all we knew that shooting someone in the face would do more harm than just smutting their face as shown in cartoons. Now days the networks can probably be sued for showing such. Pitiful.

Yep. When I was a kid on the ranch, we always looked for places where we could dispose of a body without it ever being found. There were several such places.

Allen
10-01-2022, 01:34
Yep. When I was a kid on the ranch, we always looked for places where we could dispose of a body without it ever being found. There were several such places.

We always threw the bodies in a wood chipper.

jmm03
10-03-2022, 05:31
we played army in the woods. The idea was more to sneak up on your opponent close enough to pelt him with a dirt clod. I believe now I am thankful that we did not have bb guns... we also played tackle football in a rocky field with trees. One poor kid caught a perfect pass but when he spun around he face planted right into mr. oak. Laid him right out, he went home with a tree impression on his face. Being the assholes that kids can be we nicknamed him "barky"

Allen
10-03-2022, 09:27
I believe now I am thankful that we did not have bb guns...

A childhood w/o BB guns?

jmm03
10-04-2022, 01:13
my parents were not as enlightened about projectile weapons as some, not specifically against them as much as no frame of reference. I made up for lost time as soon as I turned 18 and continued ever since. Took my daughter shooting when she was 6. Jim

Mark in Ottawa
10-09-2022, 11:13
I put on the television yesterday and to my horror, there was a re-run of a Lawrence Welk broadcast

Robert Scott
10-09-2022, 11:29
A childhood w/o BB guns?

Every kid in my neighborhood was issued a Crossman 760. Santa was usually the disbursement officer...the lucky few even had a Stringray bike to enhance the adventures..

Vern Humphrey
10-09-2022, 12:33
I put on the television yesterday and to my horror, there was a re-run of a Lawrence Welk broadcast

You guys have GOT to get yourself a new Prime Minister. And when he goes, make sure he has Joe under one arm and Kamela under the other.