PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Carry Changes

Art
09-24-2022, 03:33
For decades I have prided myself on being one of the last "Knights of the Round Cylinder." Unfortunately my illness has limited my ability to pivot to the point that at much deflection past dead ahead I'm going to have to use my shooting hand unsupported. While I'm pretty accurate with one hand and my 640 out to 7 yards, maybe more I am more accurate in that situation with an auto loader.

From now on I'll be strapping on Mr. 9 mm.

Changes, changes.

togor
09-24-2022, 03:36
What round you figure to use? I have some +P HSTs, Bonded, and EFMJs.

The EFMJs (so far) feed in a Walther P1 which I would not consider a protection pistol except in a SHTF situation. The others feed well in the Glock, but let's face it, crappy trigger aside, Glocks eat anything.

Art
09-24-2022, 03:38
What round you figure to use?

124 gr. Sierra +P Gold Dot hollow point. It's an excellent round and a few years ago I got a couple of 50 round boxes at a very, very good price.

togor
09-24-2022, 03:42
124 gr. Sierra +P Gold Dot hollow point. It's an excellent round and a few years ago I got a couple of 50 round boxes at a very, very good price.

Yes pretty much Ford/Chevy to the 124 gr +P HST.

Same here, bought those protection rounds years ago in easier times.

Art
09-24-2022, 06:28
It's interesting. Ya know I sometimes wonder when because of my physical liabilities I might figure carrying a gun on the street is actually a liability. Who knows.

lyman
09-25-2022, 07:54
I have my 228 and 229 carry mags full of Black Talon, (early 229, uses 228 mags, and is a shop gun, with a 226)

the 228 likes Hydra Shok's too,

I forget the grain weight,

and with the limited supply I have handy (estate finds, partial boxes) I probably need to test some newer stuff,

I run Hydra Shoks in my Colt Commander , 45

jjrothWA
09-29-2022, 01:55
M39-2 , BHP, Colt Combat Commander & M59, shoot POA to POI with Hornday's 124gr XTP's.

My round cylinder like the old Hornday's 140 gr XTP. [ simple to carry and original "point & click]!

Art
11-22-2022, 02:59
I had mentioned that I'd lost a lot of muscle mass due to my illness. I noticed when I started carrying an auto pistol that "racking the slide" wasn't as easy as it used to be. Well, I took my M1 out and couldn't open the bolt. It does have a new op rod spring which didn't help in that department. I put the butt on a flat hard surface and using my body weight opened the action.

This was an unacceptable situation so with the weapon cocked I racked the bolt back six to 10 times a day for a couple of weeks and now can open the action and load a clip just about like old times though releasing the bolt requires a noticeable bit more effort. Yesterday I discovered I couldn't cock my No 4 Mk II Lee Enfield by pulling back the cocking piece......oh well, another exercise project :icon_rolleyes: .

Allen
11-22-2022, 03:10
Time to get your daughter interested in your semi auto's. The functions, the history, why the Garand has a different loading system and clip, etc, etc. Perhaps she can help you at the range too.

I'm not saying give them up yet but one day she will end up with them. The more she knows about them the more interest she will have other than just being "Dad's guns".

lyman
11-22-2022, 03:52
I had mentioned that I'd lost a lot of muscle mass due to my illness. I noticed when I started carrying an auto pistol that "racking the slide" wasn't as easy as it used to be. Well, I took my M1 out and couldn't open the bolt. It does have a new op rod spring which didn't help in that department. I put the butt on a flat hard surface and using my body weight opened the action.

This was an unacceptable situation so with the weapon cocked I racked the bolt back six to 10 times a day for a couple of weeks and now can open the action and load a clip just about like old times though releasing the bolt requires a noticeable bit more effort. Yesterday I discovered I couldn't cock my No 4 Mk II Lee Enfield by pulling back the cocking piece......oh well, another exercise project :icon_rolleyes: .

sounds like a damn fun exercise program to me!!!

Ltdave
11-22-2022, 05:31
i still carry a Colt's Cobra with LSWC in 158g weight. there are better bullets but i dont want to go to +p. although in a SHTF on the street, im going to lose my pistol to the police, and 12 rounds wont destroy it so maybe its time for the Win silvertips. now that im thinking of it

Art
11-22-2022, 05:42
i still carry a Colt's Cobra with LSWC in 158g weight. there are better bullets but i dont want to go to +p. although in a SHTF on the street, im going to lose my pistol to the police, and 12 rounds wont destroy it so maybe its time for the Win silvertips. now that im thinking of it

Speer makes a 135 gr. "Gold Dot" hollow point built especially for short barrel revolvers. Now it is a +P load but unlike some +P hollow points this one actually seems to expand well from a snubby. You might give them a shot if you can find a box that is. By all accounts its an excellent load. Our son is an auto pistol guy who generally carries an H&K P30, but he has a S&W Model 40-1 that he can drop in a pocket sometimes and this is the load he uses in that revolver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khazbS9pWjE