PDA

View Full Version : milsurps.com Wants Your Phone # Now

togor
09-24-2022, 03:18
I visit there periodically as there is a bit of interesting gun chatter there from time to time. Only this time after logging in I am told I need to give a phone # as a condition of reading any threads.

Stated reason is to police up WTB/WTS section fraud, and they solemnly swear only admins will be able to see your phone #. Well besides whoever hacks their site, that is.

Well who are these admins? What makes them trustworthy? More to the point, given how easily scammers come up fake #s from which to call/text me, how does this combat WTB/WTS fraud?

Leaning against giving them my # for now.

barretcreek
09-24-2022, 04:14
Yup. How 'bout signing on via VPN?

jon_norstog
10-03-2022, 10:21
Don't give them nothin'

jn

togor
10-03-2022, 02:30
Yes an unnecessary shame that they did this.

lyman
10-03-2022, 03:20
not seeing the big deal,

give them you number,, no one said it had to be a current one,,,

besides, admin can use your registration, and IP address to find you, it's not that hard,

togor
10-03-2022, 04:03
All depends on the admin don't it.

As for IP addresses. Most providers are multi state or national, and your address on their network (that your computer or phone sees) is not the same as the one they show to the internet for your traffic. It's called an "exit node" and ISPs use them as do VPNs.

But if bogus #s are fine too then what's the point? Only the honest are at a disadvantage in that case, and one would think a gun site would know better than to go down that road.

PWC
10-03-2022, 09:58
I've been a member of Mil Surps almost as long as here.....I just went there, logged in and started looking around and reading but not posting.....never was asked for a phone number......curiouser and curiouser.

togor
10-04-2022, 03:37
Try to read a thread and get this--

Says:

You have an empty profile field for your contact Phone Number, which is now required to be provided. Please click here to edit your profile and update this now.

Why? ... In order to protect our valued membership from growing online WTS/WTB fraud, we now require all members to provide their contact Phone Number. Your Phone Number is always PRIVATE and viewable only by the system administrator. It will ONLY be used to assist in the prevention of WTS/WTB fraud sales and raffle participation. Thank you for your understanding.

lyman
10-04-2022, 06:07
All depends on the admin don't it.

As for IP addresses. Most providers are multi state or national, and your address on their network (that your computer or phone sees) is not the same as the one they show to the internet for your traffic. It's called an "exit node" and ISPs use them as do VPNs.

But if bogus #s are fine too then what's the point? Only the honest are at a disadvantage in that case, and one would think a gun site would know better than to go down that road.

hmmmm you just proved a point I made with someone,, not sure that will work out well

lyman
10-04-2022, 06:07
I've been a member of Mil Surps almost as long as here.....I just went there, logged in and started looking around and reading but not posting.....never was asked for a phone number......curiouser and curiouser.

ditto,

lyman
10-04-2022, 06:10

Says:

I did, read several in the Enfield , 1917 and a few other sections,
no issues , no drama

no phone number,

even visited the sale board, no issues

togor
10-04-2022, 08:01
hmmmm you just proved a point I made with someone,, not sure that will work out well

The only point proven is that people don't understand how the internet is connected. Gone are the days where everyone has a fixed IP from their provider.

These days VPNs becoming more common. If gun forums are going to forbid such access via VPN then it's just another nail in the coffin.

- - - Updated - - -

I did, read several in the Enfield , 1917 and a few other sections,
no issues , no drama

no phone number,

even visited the sale board, no issues

That is weird.

lyman
10-04-2022, 03:12
The only point proven is that people don't understand how the internet is connected. Gone are the days where everyone has a fixed IP from their provider.

These days VPNs becoming more common. If gun forums are going to forbid such access via VPN then it's just another nail in the coffin.

- - - Updated - - -

That is weird.

so you know what I am speaking of?

togor
10-04-2022, 05:26
so you know what I am speaking of?

No I don't and I doubt anyone else does either.

Back to the OP, if people want to give milsurps.com their number, they can. However I find their stated reason for asking to be thin and unpersuasive. As you stated, a bogus # could suffice. But if that's the case, what's the point of the policy?

lyman
10-04-2022, 06:26
No I don't and I doubt anyone else does either.

Back to the OP, if people want to give milsurps.com their number, they can. However I find their stated reason for asking to be thin and unpersuasive. As you stated, a bogus # could suffice. But if that's the case, what's the point of the policy?

hmmmm

meanwhile, give them you old cell number, or an office number, or better yet, fire off a question to admin and ask?

re the VPN, is you ban at Gunboards still there? the Canadians used to just ban folks, not those that get banned are permaban, by IP,

they have been running a purge of folks that question the management, and post mostly in the off topic areas,

Roadkingtrax
10-04-2022, 06:52

Says:

Just give them Lyman's number.

lyman
10-04-2022, 07:38
Just give them Lyman's number.

they don't have it and have not asked,

:1948:

togor
10-05-2022, 08:25
hmmmm

meanwhile, give them you old cell number, or an office number, or better yet, fire off a question to admin and ask?

re the VPN, is you ban at Gunboards still there? the Canadians used to just ban folks, not those that get banned are permaban, by IP,

they have been running a purge of folks that question the management, and post mostly in the off topic areas,

Gunboards? What are you talking about?

You spend way too much time thinking (obsessing?) over what I do.

I'm on the k98k forum. Used to be on milsurps, occasionally--could be my low participation rate put me on the "?" list, dunno

CMP forum, & here.

BTW you want a raw & unfiltered OT page, the K98k forum has a lively one. But guys there are pretty good at not taking things personally (unlike here). Whatever hammer the mods there have, it doesn't seem to come out often.

lyman
10-05-2022, 09:10
Gunboards? What are you talking about?

You spend way too much time thinking (obsessing?) over what I do.

I'm on the k98k forum. Used to be on milsurps, occasionally--could be my low participation rate put me on the "?" list, dunno

CMP forum, & here.

BTW you want a raw & unfiltered OT page, the K98k forum has a lively one. But guys there are pretty good at not taking things personally (unlike here). Whatever hammer the mods there have, it doesn't seem to come out often.

lordy,

you were wwsomething guns guy on gunboards,

how do I know??, a few members that you ran off here told me, and a Mod there confirmed by IP address, and name, and location, when they were looking into what you were posting in the Gomers section (once it went public, it used to be password protected),

people are not hard to find, and you apparently have a pretty bad rep in some forum circles stemming from your past behavior here,

as far as raw unfilted OT sections, there are plenty of those on the net, but most seem to self implode eventually

togor
10-05-2022, 11:36
lordy,

you were wwsomething guns guy on gunboards,

how do I know??, a few members that you ran off here told me, and a Mod there confirmed by IP address, and name, and location, when they were looking into what you were posting in the Gomers section (once it went public, it used to be password protected),

people are not hard to find, and you apparently have a pretty bad rep in some forum circles stemming from your past behavior here,

as far as raw unfilted OT sections, there are plenty of those on the net, but most seem to self implode eventually

So let's consider two possibilities:

First, you're talking sh*t and seeing what comes of it.

Second, you claim to have some inside knowledge of things.

If the second were true, that would mean that mods are passing info around, and comparing notes on people--including you! AND IT WOULD PROVE MY POINT ABOUT NOT GIVING INFO TO UNRELIABLE MODS, PER THE OP.

Also I notice you repeatedly badmouth gunboards mods here. Maybe I point that out to those guys over there?

Luckily we both know you're just fishing around and you're not one of those mods who would abuse trust by trading in private info.

Right?

lyman
10-05-2022, 01:45
So let's consider two possibilities:

First, you're talking sh*t and seeing what comes of it.

Second, you claim to have some inside knowledge of things.

If the second were true, that would mean that mods are passing info around, and comparing notes on people--including you! AND IT WOULD PROVE MY POINT ABOUT NOT GIVING INFO TO UNRELIABLE MODS, PER THE OP.

Also I notice you repeatedly badmouth gunboards mods here. Maybe I point that out to those guys over there?

Luckily we both know you're just fishing around and you're not one of those mods who would abuse trust by trading in private info.

Right?

I've not bad mouthed any mods, that I am aware of,

please provide a link, curious what I have said here,

and yes, how to you think mods work?

you yourself sniffed out Gunsmoke, remember,

I think it is time to end this,, comments in this thread alone justify it,