PDA

View Full Version : Jumping spider

Merc
09-17-2022, 06:25
I was out fishing on my pontoon boat yesterday when a friendly spider showed up and sat there on the dash board watching me drive the boat. It turned out to be a White Hairy Jumping Spider. People keep this particular species as pets. I let it hang around all day and then shooed it into a storage locker to avoid stepping on it and left the door open after we docked so it could wander out and escape on its own.

Allen
09-17-2022, 06:54
Not a spider fan but have noticed that a lot of different spiders jump. Some do, some don't.

Long ago one of my co-workers said he had traveled out West somewhere and saw a tarantula on the road. He stopped to look at it, leaned out the window and the spider jumped toward him coming close to his face. He stopped to gaze at no more spiders after that. Tarantulas normally don't or can't jump.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_spider

barretcreek
09-17-2022, 10:09
Old GF sees a spider she could teach a kangaroo a thing or two about jumping.

dryheat
09-17-2022, 02:56
At least you can see a tarantula and they don't bite people much. Some of the little biters get you and you don't even know it. I've had some bad reactions. And I have a mortal fear of ticks, they can really mess you up. I don't like mandibles.

Allen
09-17-2022, 03:28
I'm a tick magnet when I go to the woods or work in the yard around bushes. I come in and have to check myself. Often there is a young one crawling about and I have had to jerk a couple loose with a pair of tweezers. Yeah, you're right. You don't feel them bite.

Merc
09-17-2022, 03:57
I was evidently bitten by a deer tick in Gettysburg sevreral years ago because I quickly developed the early symptoms of Lyme disease. I saw my family Dr. immediately who started treatment. Deer ticks are very small and nearly always go unnoticed.

We have occasionally seen tarantulas in Cave Creek, AZ always at night. My sisters neighborhood would always come alive at night with the hunters and the hunted. It was far enough away from Phoenix to offer a fairly dark and cloudless sky so viewing the stars, planets and satellites was a great way to spend a few hours.

Art
09-17-2022, 04:00
There are several species of jumping spider. Yours' is different from the ones here. They were on my farm girl mom's protected list and we were not allowed to harm them. Wolf Spiders were not so lucky, don't know why.

Merc
09-17-2022, 04:13
There are several species of jumping spider. Yours' is different from the ones here. They were on my farm girl mom's protected list and we were not allowed to harm them. Wolf Spiders were not so lucky, don't know why.

All spiders are beneficial although Wolf spiders can be intimidating because of their size. I once found a female Wolf in a country store that was carrying dozens of her babies on her back. I coaxed her into a paper cup and released her outside. I usually try to liberate all spiders and centipedes that I find in the house that includes two Wolf spiders that somehow got in.

Allen
09-17-2022, 04:53
Everyone needs to be familiar with the Brown Recluse spider. They are small, like to live in hot attics, and their bite can make your flesh rot off.

Luckily they don't usually jump and aren't good jumpers when they do.

lyman
09-17-2022, 06:29
lots of Wolf and similar here

few black widow's too, and surely some recluse

been bit once by a wolf, when I was a kid, we tried to share a rock in a flooded creek, but it did not like me stepping that close and nipped my toe,

no issues other than a bite feeling,

wife tends to name them when we see them

however if one gets in the house, the cats take care of it,

had a large one at one time in my shop, it would wander out from under something and the disappear elsewhere,

I named it Boris, not sure if it was one spider or if I had seen several over time,, but they all got named Boris

Merc
09-17-2022, 06:29
Everyone needs to be familiar with the Brown Recluse spider. They are small, like to live in hot attics, and their bite can make your flesh rot off.

Luckily they don't usually jump and aren't good jumpers when they do.

Great advice. It is good to know how to identify them and what to do if you think you have been bitten. Also, you should know if you live within their natural range.

dryheat
09-18-2022, 09:43
The Yellow Sac Spider is a little biter and it leaves a mark. They are an invasive species I believe. My theory is, they got in my house riding on things I bought on internet stores. You know a couple of the big names. You can look it up but they are day sleepers and live in a little "tent" they make. No webs. They usually like a corner where the ceiling meets walls. That's where you look first. Anyway, I started waking up with welts all over (but no blisters ect.). Another symptom was, my tongue was so swollen I couldn't eat or talk. Pretty scary. Dr. didn't really have a clue. I finally saw one one day and googled "little yellow spider"
and got the information I needed.
Then went to war. I did all the safety preps and left for a three day trip after I bombed the house from top (attic) to bottom.

I removed the link because I don't think it was accurate. Many scary pictures that didn't pertain to this spider.