PDA

View Full Version : Storage

barretcreek
08-26-2022, 09:24
Have a pack of VPI paper. Better to put the wrapped guns in paper bags or plastic? Or just in cloth and stack them in boxes.

dogtag
08-26-2022, 01:36
Wrap mine in cloth then in pouch which is in safe which is in closet which is in bedroom which is in house.
Six layers of protection.

togor
08-26-2022, 02:01
VCI boils off over time. So if you're storing guns dry with a VCI emitter, a plastic bag is indicated.

Chris Bonaduce is still plastic bags with the emitter mixed in, I see.

https://www.polygunbag.com/gunbags.html

Allen
08-26-2022, 02:30
Everyone stores a little different. I coat all my guns with a thin layer of Vasoline. It's the best thing I've found. A little goes a long way. I coat the metal and wood very slightly to where it isn't greasy but protects and can be used without having to wipe it off first. The gun is then wrapped in said VPI paper (in a box), a foam lined pistol case or a gun sock for long guns.

lyman
08-26-2022, 07:04
Everyone stores a little different. I coat all my guns with a thin layer of Vasoline. It's the best thing I've found. A little goes a long way. I coat the metal and wood very slightly to where it isn't greasy but protects and can be used without having to wipe it off first. The gun is then wrapped in said VPI paper (in a box), a foam lined pistol case or a gun sock for long guns.

the English way,

they used to do Enfields that way, then when WW2 happened, they started painting them,

Allen
08-26-2022, 07:33
I thought I invented something. I have some English ancestor's so it must be in our blood.

I had a cousin who bought a nice custom rifle with a K98 Mauser action. He painted it olive green, stock and metal, to keep in his truck and farm equipment so it wouldn't rust. I didn't see it before--it may have needed bluing? He had more money than sense anyway.

lyman
08-26-2022, 07:41
I thought I invented something. I have some English ancestor's so it must be in our blood.

I had a cousin who bought a nice custom rifle with a K98 Mauser action. He painted it olive green, stock and metal, to keep in his truck and farm equipment so it wouldn't rust. I didn't see it before--it may have needed bluing? He had more money than sense anyway.

the English blued everything, and would pull them out of stores, inspect a number of them, and apply a vaseline like substance as needed
it tended to run off in the tropics, so they painted them,
some version of olive or khaki,
you can find them now and again,
I have a No5 that was painted,

afterwards, most all were treated with Suncorite, which is the black paint like finish , over blue or parkerization

the Indian's (RFI) blued, mostly, and suncorited, which to them was actually some black paint, sloppingly done

Allen
08-26-2022, 07:46
I bought a large group of commercial carbine barrels years ago that was said to have been used in Cuba. Some of them have a yellow looking paint in the bores only. Near impossible to remove. Any idea what that could be?

barretcreek
08-28-2022, 09:58
Zinc chromate?

Thanks all. I'll check out those bags, Togor.

Mark in Ottawa
08-29-2022, 01:26
Learned something new today. I had never heard of VPI paper before. I just found a website that sells it for what seems a reasonable price. Thanks for sharing