PDA

View Full Version : Rain

Allen
08-19-2022, 07:50
Have heard since I was a kid that our area got more yearly rainfall than any place in the world. Have always believed it too.

It has rained EVERY day for the past 150 days or so w/o fail. Some years we go about 300 for the year so not much to look forward to as far as relief. It is thundering as I type and the radar map shows the daily crap is on the way--all day.

On rare occurrences we have a day with no rain on top of us but black clouds and thunder linger nearby. Enough so that you can't start much of an outdoor project.

Still, the local weather stations issue 10 day forecast (always wrong) when in fact they can't predict 10 minutes in advance.

Nothing new here---just thought some of you might want to compare to your area.

barretcreek
08-19-2022, 09:15
Drove to NOLA in 2002 from Atlanta, doing 40 on the Interstate. Maybe slower but I was afraid of getting rear ended.

But I have to question if you get more than the area around Mt. Baker.

Allen
08-19-2022, 09:31
Drove to NOLA in 2002 from Atlanta, doing 40 on the Interstate. Maybe slower but I was afraid of getting rear ended.

But I have to question if you get more than the area around Mt. Baker.

Only if Mt. Baker is several miles under water.

I've questioned Seattle and London. The findings were they got daily rains but often it was more of a mist where we get downpours.

People like myself have roots here and will never leave but for those who could live anywhere I have to wonder why so many want to move here.

dryheat
08-19-2022, 12:23
Probably rains a lot, but anywhere in the world? I would guess Indonesia gets more. Those folks can expect to literally be up to their waists in water half the year. But of course that's due to being only three ft. above sea level.
We are getting a real monsoon this yr. in Arizona. Haven't had rain like this in about five yrs. These are "pop up" storms. They can pop up anywhere. Might rain like crazy in a one mile square. Not like the El Nino? waves we had 30 yrs ago. One state wide downpour after another.

Allen
08-19-2022, 01:01
Probably rains a lot, but anywhere in the world? I would guess Indonesia gets more. Those folks can expect to literally be up to their waists in water half the year. But of course that's due to being only three ft. above sea level.
We are getting a real monsoon this yr. in Arizona. Haven't had rain like this in about five yrs. These are "pop up" storms. They can pop up anywhere. Might rain like crazy in a one mile square. Not like the El Nino? waves we had 30 yrs ago. One state wide downpour after another.

Not my words and things do change. Researching this on the web makes different claims but yet every so often my area tops the list.

Moist air from Mobile Bay and the Gulf of Mexico collides over us giving us those mentioned popup rains that don't show up on radar maps till it is already happening.

The only way it could rain more here is to rain 24/7/365. Some years it almost does that.

What hasn't washed away is rotting or rusting away. I received roof damage 2 years ago from hurricane Sally and haven't been able to make repairs nor find someone to do the repairs due to lack of supplies and mostly the weather and yes, I do have leaks.

tmark
08-19-2022, 06:45
Rain is a good thing! Rain makes corn and corn makes whiskey! :)

Allen
08-24-2022, 05:44
Where I live this would be called a drought.

dogtag
08-24-2022, 06:52
"Rain rain go away, come again another day"

Allen
08-24-2022, 07:01
"Rain rain go away, come again another day"

When it comes back on that "another day" it's already raining.

Allen
08-26-2022, 02:49
Yeah I know it's sugar cane but it's not far from the truth.

Merc
08-26-2022, 09:15
Ketchikan, AK has to be one of the wettest places on earth. Their claim to fame is that they get an average of 141 inches of melted precipitation a year (nearly 12 feet). The wife and I are on an Alaska cruise and we were there just yesterday - and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. We visited numerous tidewater glaciers, some were thickening and advancing while others were thinning and retreating.

Allen
08-26-2022, 09:19
Seems like a lot places are getting a lot of rain now. Even places that are normally dry.

Merc
08-26-2022, 09:25
Just looked up the wettest place on earth and it is in India - 467 inches per year.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like a lot places are getting a lot of rain now. Even places that are normally dry.

Be good to see a drought buster out west.

Allen
08-26-2022, 11:06
Be good to see a drought buster out west.

If what I've read is correct Las Vegas has had some recent flooding yet the Lake Mead/Hoover Dam area which isn't too far away is still drying up.

Allen
08-27-2022, 09:22
The state next door.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/mississippi-flooding-governor-declares-state-emergency-river-expected-crest-36-feet-monday

dryheat
08-27-2022, 11:43
Ketchikan, AK has to be one of the wettest places on earth. Their claim to fame is that they get an average of 141 inches of melted precipitation a year (nearly 12 feet). The wife and I are on an Alaska cruise and we were there just yesterday - and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. We visited numerous tidewater glaciers, some were thickening and advancing while others were thinning and retreating.

12 freakin ft. of water falling from the sky? That's beyond belief and I was raised in Fairbanks. That would melt some glaciers. Heck, it would erode the whole town. You'd have to wear scuba gear to go to the store. I know Ketchikan is still there, so they must be on to something the SW U.S. isn't. I've never been there. Maybe they live on a slope.

-Just looked up the wettest place on earth and it is in India - 467 inches per year.-
Oh, c'mon, that 40 ft. deep. No way. There's some clever advertising going on here.
Yeah, I know India sucks in that way, but everyone there would have drowned by now.
Hey, want to experience some of the worlds crappiest weather? Come to India. Raincoats provided. Bring your own life jacket. How now drowned cow?

Central Arizona gets 7-12 maybe. Other parts of the state can get 20".
We were in a 25 yr. long drought and the last five years have been really dry (you've seen the Lake Mead stuff). This summer, I doubt there was a day where rain didn't fall (sometimes a lot) in the state somewhere. It rained for five minutes at my house again today. I'm sick of this rainy weather.

Merc
08-28-2022, 06:40
12 freakin ft. of water falling from the sky? That's beyond belief and I was raised in Fairbanks. That would melt some glaciers. Heck, it would erode the whole town. You'd have to wear scuba gear to go to the store. I know Ketchikan is still there, so they must be on to something the SW U.S. isn't. I've never been there. Maybe they live on a slope.

-Just looked up the wettest place on earth and it is in India - 467 inches per year.-
Oh, c'mon, that 40 ft. deep. No way. There's some clever advertising going on here.
Yeah, I know India sucks in that way, but everyone there would have drowned by now.
Hey, want to experience some of the worlds crappiest weather? Come to India. Raincoats provided. Bring your own life jacket. How now drowned cow?

Central Arizona gets 7-12 maybe. Other parts of the state can get 20".
We were in a 25 yr. long drought and the last five years have been really dry (you've seen the Lake Mead stuff). This summer, I doubt there was a day where rain didn't fall (sometimes a lot) in the state somewhere. It rained for five minutes at my house again today. I'm sick of this rainy weather.

There are a few places in Hawaii that also get more than 400 inches of rain per year.

I’m glad to see some rain falling in AZ. Every drop is precious to the plants and animals.

I put a pan of water out on my back patio and keep it filled for the wildlife every summer. I normally see the usual birds, squirrels and chipmunks because we live next to a large wooded area. I recently noticed a harmless large garter snake curled up right next to the pan. I guess it could sense there was water somewhere but could not figure out where it was. I spilled some water on the ground and made a small puddle, and he came over and drank from it for several minutes before slowly moving away.

Allen
08-28-2022, 07:07
Some of these places that claim high amounts of rainfall perhaps have sandy soil where most of it drains through or they have good run-off to creeks, rivers, oceans. Anyone who might get more rain than us I pity. In the past many farmers here have thrown in the towel and given up.

I do the same with the pan of water though for the past 4-5 months it hasn't been needed. My mother had a large cement birdbath but also had a large dog. She was afraid of the dog toppling the heavy top of the birdbath on to himself trying to get a drink so we both started using pans on the ground. That way any small critter can get to it. Also, the cement birdbath had to be dismantled every year during hurricane season.

I use a plastic oil drain pan (WalMart), fill it with water and set a brick in it for small birds and so forth that might not be able to get over the lip of the pan or reach low water levels. Doesn't look as nice as a fountain or birdbath though.

fguffey
08-28-2022, 07:46
One of my grandsons informed me he was going to Seattle, WA, I offered him some insight and advise. I told him residence of that area do not tan, he wanted to know if they do not tan, what do they do? I told him they rust.

F. Guffey

dryheat
08-28-2022, 08:44
It rains a lot in Pakistan. In the last three months they have gotten something like 350% more rain than usual. A thousand people have died. 300,000 homes are underwater or distroyed. This is the worst flooding they've had in... wait for it... a decade. It's worse than the rains from thirty yrs ago. Not 500 yrs, ten yrs. So they're kind of used to this.

Mark in Ottawa
08-29-2022, 01:21
Sorry to sound dumb, but where do you live?

Allen
08-29-2022, 01:30
Sorry to sound dumb, but where do you live?

If you are referring to me I live in the Gulf Coast region of Alabama. Close enough to the Gulf of Mexico and Mobile Bay for it affect our weather. I live East of Mobile, across from Mobile Bay, a little inland, not on the shore.