PDA

View Full Version : The new Sig Sauer rifle

Major Tom
08-09-2022, 05:01
Named the MCX-SPEAR, caliber 277 SIG Fury (6.8x51). A high pressure round capable of penetrating ANY body armor at longer distance. Cost is $8000, but some have been released for $6000. They built this rifle for the military, but have released a civilian model.
That should make 'Ol Joe spit out his ice cream!

Art
08-09-2022, 07:07
I've been interested in this for some time. I have seen no tests on the actual armor piercing capabilities of the round though I would suspect that they are about the same as any round with a 140 gr. bullet with a penetrator at about 3,000 fps. What "longer distance" means, well I'd like to see some tests.

Recoil is stout (what you would expect with 80,000 psi operating pressure) but is tamed somewhat by the combination muzzle break/silencer that will come standard with it.

I doubt that the super duper bi metal cased round with the penetrator bullet will be available any time for you and me.

Of course any A-Salt weapons ban would include this weapon.....

barretcreek
08-09-2022, 08:47
I'll repeat my previous statement: the two piece case will be a liability if production ever hits wartime rates. QC will go out the window and so will reliability.