PDA

View Full Version : Colt Boas

RED
07-26-2022, 08:34
I have two Boas. A 4 inch and a 6. They are consecutively serial numbered, unfired and the cylinders not turned since they left the factory. Colt only made 600 4 inch and 600 6s inch and I have the original factory holsters that were shipped by Colt.

I am 77 years old and do not know what to do with these collectible guns. Money is not a issue. I would gift them to a museum, but which one?

Any suggestions.

Art
07-26-2022, 10:40
Really rare birds you have there. You might try the Cody Firearms Museum in Wyoming. They have one of the largest collections in the planet, including a huge section of Colts. I bet they'd love your revolvers.

Allen
07-27-2022, 05:47
Museums can be finicky. If you decide to sell it should be where many can see them such as a consignment seller on GB or other trustworty seller. Just to give you an idea here are some sales going on or closed sales. The first one didn't sell. The other is an active auction from a seller on GB that sells on consignment and gets top dollar.

Not trying to influence you either way, it sounds like you've made your decision, just wanted you to know the value if you don't already.

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/14875903

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/940625316

lyman
07-27-2022, 05:59
think about the Museum deal,

Museums tend to grow collections , and put the spares in storage,

so your Boas may be on display, or they may be put in a drawer

or sold at an auction or to a benefactor down the road

not trying to harsh your calm or get you riled up,

however as someone that buys sells estates and collectibles, I have seen that happen,

if you want the biggest bang for the buck, for your estate or kids, , I would contact several of the big auction houses and go thru them,

be careful, each has scores of folks that are happy, and many that are not, with how the auctions were handled,

however with Boas, they should hit a premier auction, and net good $$$

RED
07-27-2022, 02:58
Thanks all. I?ve been talking to Saunders Museum in Berryville, AR and nor made a decision

Johnny P
07-28-2022, 05:55
Sell them and donate money to a worthwhile charity. Museums are prone to selling excess or unrelated donations.

Allen
07-28-2022, 09:42
Sell them and donate money to a worthwhile charity. Museums are prone to selling excess or unrelated donations.

+1

Sometimes museums disolve and all items "disappear" plus some items vanish anyway. I'm not saying museums are fraudulent but they don't have any accountability to anyone. When or if things go away nothing is said or done. Collectable guns are bringing top dollar right now.