PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request

Former Cav
07-22-2022, 02:40
Next week I go in to get a medtronics defibrillator and pacemaker combo job put in.

They said somewhere along the line I had a 3rd heart attack. I have NO clue to as when or how other then my back (T4 that they broke hurts like hell, maybe it was the heart one day). So I am down to 33 percent heart function from about 65 percent. If I walk about 100 yards I might get winded. If I bend over to polish my tires/ wheels on the car, or bend over to pick up brass at the range, that bothers me too.

Thanks in Advance.
Bob

togor
07-22-2022, 02:46
Next week I go in to get a medtronics defibrillator and pacemaker combo job put in.

They said somewhere along the line I had a 3rd heart attack. I have NO clue to as when or how other then my back (T4 that they broke hurts like hell, maybe it was the heart one day). So I am down to 33 percent heart function from about 65 percent. If I walk about 100 yards I might get winded. If I bend over to polish my tires/ wheels on the car, or bend over to pick up brass at the range, that bothers me too.

Thanks in Advance.
Bob

You got it!

Some years ago my boss had one of those put in. They discovered he had something called Brugada syndrome, which causes strange heart rates (and usually diagnosed during the autopsy). They found his when he went into arrest at a work dinner function. Lucky for him there was a paramedic and 2 first reponders at his table, so they were on him right away. He woke up and said "hey I'm fine" and they said "umm, no, you're going with the ambulance".

He reported that it takes a little while for them to tune the pacemaker. But once dialed in he had no issues with it.

PS: He did not report a tunnel and a bright light, but then again they were on him in a flash and he was out maybe 2 minutes tops.

Vern Humphrey
07-22-2022, 03:39

Thanks in Advance.
Bob

I've had one since January of 2017 -- still have about 3 years on the battery. I work out at the gym on an average of 4 times a week, and walk up to 4 miles, no problem. If it weren't for this heat I'd do six miles a day, with about 700 feet of climbing thrown in. If your problem is only AFIB, you can do anything you did before.

You might want to talk to your cardiologist about a Watchman Plug -- the alternative is to take Eliquis which makes you bleed when you get a scratch

Allen
07-22-2022, 04:52
My mother lived with one for many years and it greatly prolonged her life. She had an enlarged heart.

My sister is 77 and has had a pacemaker for over 10 years. She previously had a cow valve put in but it didn't quite do the job.

It would be good if we were all born with something like a pacemaker---something like an spare pump that would pick up the pace, remind the heart every so often to do its job.

Provided your arteries are all clear this should prevent any more heart attacks as long as your heart can pump at all.

Best of luck with the procedure and life afterwards. Keep us posted please.

Prayers sent.

Art
07-22-2022, 05:06
I have prayed for you, and will again let us know how the surgery goes.

These implants can work wonders for the old ticker.

bruce
07-22-2022, 06:54
Just now found your post. I am praying for you right now. Sincerely. bruce.

rayg
07-22-2022, 08:00
Just now found your post. I am praying for you right now. Sincerely. bruce.

Same here! Hope all goes well, Ray

kj47
07-23-2022, 05:04
Prayers sent, hpoe all goes well.

PWC
07-23-2022, 08:03
You're on the list

JohnMOhio
07-24-2022, 04:41
You have our prayers Bob. I am also going to contact a friend of mine in North Carolina and ask that you be put on the churches prayer list.
God Bless.

Former Cav
08-02-2022, 07:04
Went under the knife at about 2:20 PM. Home by 6:30.
It hurts a little, like a burning sensation on the wound site.
The DR asked me if I was right handed?
I said yest. He said, I'll put it on your left side then so you can shoot your rifles.
Gotta Love TX.
ON the 8th the will remove/replace the bandage.
I can walk the 100 yards up the hill to the mailbox and I don't breathe as heavy as I used to. Unfortunately, all 3 heart attacks created a lot of "scar tissue".
thanks for All the prayers will keep you posted.
I STILL don't have my 6.5 Grendel sorted out!!

lyman
08-02-2022, 07:13
Went under the knife at about 2:20 PM. Home by 6:30.
It hurts a little, like a burning sensation on the wound site.
The DR asked me if I was right handed?
I said yest. He said, I'll put it on your left side then so you can shoot your rifles.
Gotta Love TX.
ON the 8th the will remove/replace the bandage.
I can walk the 100 yards up the hill to the mailbox and I don't breathe as heavy as I used to. Unfortunately, all 3 heart attacks created a lot of "scar tissue".
thanks for All the prayers will keep you posted.
I STILL don't have my 6.5 Grendel sorted out!!

good news!!!

listen to the Doc and heal up

Allen
08-02-2022, 08:12
Thanks for the update.

One good thing about the return trip from the mailbox: It's all down hill.

PWC
08-02-2022, 09:55
Prayers answered!

kj47
08-03-2022, 01:39
Glad to hear things went well.

one shot
08-03-2022, 05:38
best wishes listen to your doc and enjoy everyday .

Vern Humphrey
08-04-2022, 12:16
Thanks for the update.

One good thing about the return trip from the mailbox: It's all down hill.

Be careful!

You'll find you tend to lean forward now -- and going downhill, your body can get going faster than your legs. I recommend a 6-foot walking staff.

Allen
08-04-2022, 01:01
Be careful!

You'll find you tend to lean forward now -- and going downhill, your body can get going faster than your legs. I recommend a 6-foot walking staff.

Most people around here just buy one of those little electric golf carts. These people may not be getting exercise but they aren't having heart attacks getting their mail either.

Vern Humphrey
08-04-2022, 01:43
No golf carts for me -- I'll die with my walking staff in my hand.

Allen
08-04-2022, 06:43
As said before, my mother and sister both felt much better and had (and have) a normal life now after the pacemaker.

Strange how the battery status and the general functioning can be checked over the phone.

Again, best wishes on recovery. Give us progress report every so often?

barretcreek
08-04-2022, 07:51
Listen to the doctor. Prayers answered.