PDA

View Full Version : Dog question

barretcreek
06-28-2022, 07:38
Time for Muttface to learn some manners. Anyone have current experience with training collars? Just a basic one dog model, doesn't need to be connected to NORAD although I understand there are models which tie into GPS in the control unit. Want to let him off leash but so he stays close and heels on command. Default setting is still PUPPY.

Allen
06-28-2022, 08:00
Sorry both of you are having to go through this.

You may find more info researching on-line reviews. Do's and don'ts.

Merc
06-29-2022, 04:56
Check out Petco or PetSmart. There are collars with remotes that deliver a tone followed by a mild electric stimulus to modify behavior. Dogs will soon respond to only the tone.

togor
06-29-2022, 05:05
Check out Garmin. Not sure what their current catalog shows but we have a unit from them that has worked well. Range not an issue. Both tone (good) and "other" (not good) with adjustable intensity and pulse/continuous options. They sell replacement lithium batteries too.

k arga
06-29-2022, 05:26
spend a lot of time with the pup and teach it what you want it to do, time and training, you wouldn't put a shock collar on your kids to teach them.

Allen
06-29-2022, 06:24
spend a lot of time with the pup and teach it what you want it to do, time and training, you wouldn't put a shock collar on your kids to teach them.

+1

Training/teaching varies a lot by breed and even male/female. Some breeds are like cats and so independent that forced training may be a waste of time and cruel for the pet. If so, they can't help it. Some breeds (and age) are simply high energy.

togor
06-29-2022, 06:52
I've had dogs that were naturally team players and dogs that get so lost in whatever they're doing, that reminding is necessary.

And used properly that's all it is.....a way of cutting through their distracted thinking. There's tones, and vibration too.

barretcreek
06-29-2022, 04:15
He needs to be safe off leash; a run of a few miles couple days a week. Friend had one of the same breed and would toss him out of the truck and go seven miles over a county road, slow enough to keep the dog just off his rear bumper. Water him and home.
Punishment for jumping up on people or counter surfing is the water spray bottle. I want him to get excited when he sees the collar.

pcox
06-29-2022, 04:59
A shock collar is a useful tool for training if used properly. Never let the dog know that the shock, no mater how slight, is initiated by you. The dog must associate the sensation with the bad behavior, not you.

barretcreek
06-29-2022, 06:45
A shock collar is a useful tool for training if used properly. Never let the dog know that the shock, no mater how slight, is initiated by you. The dog must associate the sensation with the bad behavior, not you.

Yes.

one shot
06-29-2022, 11:19
don't believe in them

JohnMOhio
07-01-2022, 10:40
I don't believe in them either. Some dogs just take longer to catch on as to what you want them to do. Spend the time with them, when they do what ever it is that you are teaching them, praise them. You might even reward them with a treat but only when they do it correctly, And you don't give them a treat every time they do it correctly. i found that although a treat works, a lot of praising works better as the training gets further down the line.

I may have missed it, but what breed of dog are you trying to train. What are you training them to do. Stay in the yard only? You do that by walking them all along the perimeter of your property. Do it repeatedly. Maybe a 100 times until he/she catches on. Most of all, be patient. You get upset with the dog, the dog gets upset or fears you and will not react as you want them to react.

Hope this helps some. Good Luck! JohnMOhio.

Johnny P
07-02-2022, 04:53
Neighbors got a new dog and one of the training collars. If he started wandering off they would give him a mild reminder not to go any farther, but if they weren't around he would leave. Then they put in one of the perimeter systems and he stays home.

Allen
07-02-2022, 05:22
Neighbors got a new dog and one of the training collars. If he started wandering off they would give him a mild reminder not to go any farther, but if they weren't around he would leave. Then they put in one of the perimeter systems and he stays home.

I had a fence put up around my yard for my dog. 2 acres of it but he was worth every penny. No other restraint needed, plus it kept larger, vicious dogs away from him.

barretcreek
07-03-2022, 10:09
He's an intact pointer, I'll get him x-rayed and decide whether to cut him. He needs to obey off leash, both as a bird dog and living here in the mountains. Can't take a chance on a leash getting snagged if he need to flee nor can I allow him to chase something.

togor
07-09-2022, 09:31
Yes.

For sure.

This one we have is a thinker, however. Smart enough to know:

1) he doesn't like what happens when he wears the collar

2) who puts it on

togor
07-09-2022, 09:40
He's an intact pointer, I'll get him x-rayed and decide whether to cut him. He needs to obey off leash, both as a bird dog and living here in the mountains. Can't take a chance on a leash getting snagged if he need to flee nor can I allow him to chase something.

My experience with runners is that they run whether they have a pair or not, with the one obvious difference if they smell a female in season. And our current dog is just on his own team, but super nice about it, and that would still be true if we cut him. It's not always the little brain doing the thinking.