PDA

View Full Version : The Yorktown

RED
06-27-2022, 07:32
https://www.grainger.com/know-how/inspiration/kh-video-everyday-heroes-uss-yorktown?gucid=N:N:AP:Paid:OB:CSM-2925:OFO9AE:20511006:APZ_1&dicbo=v1-6b415a2a1307b8798d0ca21f0902c48c-00119abfc73280178e7f599b8e319ecc6f-mzrtizbymvstmljqgu2geljumi2wmllbgy3delleme4wkolggq 3wknrvmm

Interesting video. Notice the USMC F-4 Phantom on deck. Remember Goo? The Yorktown did a tour in the Tonkin Gulf (1973) with a Marine F-4 squadron on board and they scored a MIG kill.

lyman
06-27-2022, 07:50
had the pleasure of walking thru most of the ship when I was in Charleston for the Hunley Crew Funeral

Patriots Point is a good place to spend most of an afternoon

barretcreek
06-27-2022, 03:30
Missed the funeral but there is a twenty foot plus long 'dia rama?' of the Hunley attack on the Union ship, which was being done in shed in Summerville. Knew the woman who owned the shed. I think the work was shown to the public once and then disappeared into the bowels of the Navy Reactor training facility somewhere up the road. Three glass panels approximately eight feet long by three high? Etched with the scene. I'll look for a link.

Now I'm intrigued. Doing some research.

lyman
06-27-2022, 07:04
Missed the funeral but there is a twenty foot plus long 'dia rama?' of the Hunley attack on the Union ship, which was being done in shed in Summerville. Knew the woman who owned the shed. I think the work was shown to the public once and then disappeared into the bowels of the Navy Reactor training facility somewhere up the road. Three glass panels approximately eight feet long by three high? Etched with the scene. I'll look for a link.

Now I'm intrigued. Doing some research.

we did go to the museum, saw the Hunley in the big tank, then went and sat in the mockup,

amazing they made it as far as they did,

the Funeral,, was just absolutely amazing,

formations of troops marching buy, with the sounds of the boots clicking on the pavement, followed by a group of women in black, that were absolutely silent, not even a whisper as they went by,
we started as close to the Battery as we could get, which was right about the beginning of Rainbow Row, then walked along taking pics and looking at the procession,

took a while to get to the cemetery,, which was packed, and see the graves,

fortunately it was a beautiful day