PDA

View Full Version : Fiftieth anniversary of a MIG kill

RED
06-21-2022, 06:16
The National Air and Space Museum posted an on-line blog today describing VF-31?s aerial victory over a North Vietnamese MiG-21 on June 21, 1972. Today is the 50th anniversary of that shoot-down.

The blog was authored by Michael W. Hankins, PhD, who is the NASM Curator for US Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps post-World War II Aviation. Dr. Hankins collaborated with Bill John, Nick Strelchuk and Dave Arnolds to set an overall framework for the narrative. He and NASM Director Christopher Browne then sat down for a face-to-face interview with Bill, Nick, and Dave after the luncheon at Udvar-Hazy during our recent reunion celebration at the Westin Washington Dulles. The result of everyone?s efforts is a great story that is well told.

https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/editorial/phantom-flyers-aerial-victory-over-north-vietnam

FWIW, I was at that reunion.

Do you know of any military unit that has had a 50th anniversary where nearly 70% of the still surviving attended. It was certainly at the top of Navy Fighter Squadrons at the time, 1970 - 1972.

lyman
06-21-2022, 07:41
I would imagine it would be a combo of MOS/Branch, (how may ground pounders or grunts that trudged thru the various Agent Colors are still here 50 yrs later)

and the positive side of modern medicine

barretcreek
06-21-2022, 08:05
Well Done.

Thanks for posting.

RED
06-22-2022, 09:52
I would imagine it would be a combo of MOS/Branch, (how may ground pounders or grunts that trudged thru the various Agent Colors are still here 50 yrs later)

and the positive side of modern medicine

It is not how many that have survived that wows me, it is how many that were not only able but willing to spend the amount of time and money it takes to fly fly to DC and spend 4-5 days in a first class hotel with great food and a open bar.