PDA

View Full Version : Bore cleaning

barretcreek
03-07-2022, 02:44
Found on another forum.

https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Guy gets into how to remove hard carbon. My limited experience it is often the culprit when someone is selling a gun 'cuz the barrel's gone bad'.
I've been using Engine Tune for years; can't remember how I got turned on to it. Now I include the abrasives.

Going to bite the bullet on an inexpensive scope.

lyman
03-07-2022, 04:30
JJK308 did a damn good study on oils etc over on gunboards years ago,

buying estates, I have tried a bunch of lubes/oils/cleaners etc including some damn near vintage Ed's Red (acetone all gone, like red slime now)

all of it did got at wiping stuff down etc etc,
some stank, some smelled odd, .
nothing , as far as what I used it for, to make me want to buy one vs the other

I googled best foaming bore cleaner last summer, and bought the top 4 ,

all worked as they should,
all worked well,

I had previous experience with Birchwood Casey, which is basically canned snot,
it worked ok, but you have to work at it, and get past the sticky snot texture,

I took the rifles, mostly milsurps, placed the muzzle in a catfood or tuna tin, opened the actions and sprayed in the barrel as directed (all had a tube or stick to spray thru)

let them set a few days and did it again,

after a few sprays, (maybe 10days) I punched them out,

there was some serious funk in the tins, black/green/blue,,

most of them cleaned out really well,
one CMP 1917,, it was still a sewer,
the guy I sold it to told me he would try again, and then hit the JB bore paste ,

Johnny P
03-08-2022, 06:43
I have been using the M-Pro 7 LPX for years which he indicates has a strong odor, and I just haven't found this to be true as it has virtually no odor. If he thinks Ballistol smells like perfume this might explain it.

jjrothWA
03-17-2022, 08:49
My 1917 Enfield, had a dark filled bore.

Plug chamber with rubber stopper anad filled barrel with fresh Hoppe's., let sit overnight, por out in the morging and srubbed with new brass brusjh, repeated for five nights.

Final cleaning used shooters choice on patchs, not the barrel is realy nice and I use it for matches.

dryheat
03-18-2022, 08:42
I believe M-Pro 7 is water based. It is kind of runny. It's safe, orderless, ect. but don't get it on the rifles outside finish. It's is a copper remover. Our professional shooter used it on the test barrels. I'd never heard of water based bore cleaner before.
If your old enough to remember Black Jack gum, that's what ballistol reminds me of. Ballistol is sort of like WD-40. Some guys think it does everything.