PDA

View Full Version : The Molotov Cocktail (Ukrainian Recipe)

togor
02-26-2022, 08:00
Read that the Ukrainian version is 1 part motor oil, 2 parts gasoline. Sounds pretty good but if they have the equivalent of "Tide" laundry detergent they should mix some of that in too.

Petrol bomb has an interesting history. An ingenious anti-vehicle weapon.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov_cocktail

dryheat
02-26-2022, 09:15
We made those when we were kids. Pretty basic. Drain stove oil out of the tank into a bottle and stuffed a rag down the neck. I've always wondered how fruitful it was to throw one against a tank, but I guess it worked if you knew what you were doing as the article described.

Art
02-26-2022, 09:47
We made those when we were kids. Pretty basic. Drain stove oil out of the tank into a bottle and stuffed a rag down the neck. I've always wondered how fruitful it was to throw one against a tank, but I guess it worked if you knew what you were doing as the article described.

Just throwing one at a tank won't work very well, you have to throw it somewhere that vents into the vehicle. It works real well against trucks and anything with an open top. Pitching one into a foxhole gets results too :icon_e_surprised:.

Major Tom
02-26-2022, 10:13
have my Dad's WW2 manual that explains how to make the molotov cocktail. Once you have the gas and oil in the bottle, you cork it up good and tight. Then tape a rag to the outside of the bottle. When going to throw it, just a few drops of gas or lighter fluid on the rag, light rag, throw.

rcnixon
03-09-2022, 05:05
Read that the Ukrainian version is 1 part motor oil, 2 parts gasoline. Sounds pretty good but if they have the equivalent of "Tide" laundry detergent they should mix some of that in too.

Petrol bomb has an interesting history. An ingenious anti-vehicle weapon.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov_cocktail

You would do better using soap rather than detergent (yes, they are different). Ivory Snow or Ivory Flakes will give your mixture that lovely, sticky consistency that you seek.

jjrothWA
03-17-2022, 08:40
Saw a recent video of low flat ruskie ending up as a flambe! [but that due to the NUMEROUS cocktails it received!}

PWC
03-18-2022, 02:15
Gasoline and Ivory flakes make jellied gasoline also known as napalm.

<edit> someone beat me to it.
Put in 50 gal drum with clamp on lid, along with spent brass bury in hill side along road with 1/4 lb block of electricaly detonated C4 centered on outside base of the drum. Everything within 50 yds gets shredded and napalmed.

Yup, did it at demo school.

togor
03-18-2022, 05:10
Gasoline and Ivory flakes make jellied gasoline also known as napalm.

<edit> someone beat me to it.
Put in 50 gal drum with clamp on lid, along with spent brass bury in hill side along road with 1/4 lb block of electricaly detonated C4 centered on outside base of the drum. Everything within 50 yds gets shredded and napalmed.

Yup, did it at demo school.

Who says government jobs can't be fun

PWC
03-18-2022, 06:45
1966 - At Ft. Cronkite on the Marin Co. side of the Golden Gate Bridge had 16" guns set up to protect SF during WW2. After the war, hardware was removed but bunkers and hardened facilities remained. These became the targets for the 12th Special Forces, Reserve, at the Presidio. The Combat Control Team from Travis AFB, was invited to attend a demolitions class they held. We used mil shaped charges to breach bunkers that were already well air conditioned. I dug my tank trap ( road cutting) charges (alternating 4' deep holes and 2' deep holes ) 4 of each, filled with improvised explosive. Evidently, I was too close to the cliff, because when I set it off, instead of a trench 6' deep and 9' wide, I dropped a huge part of the cliff into the ocean, left a nice slanting ramp down to the ocean 200' below.

<edit> the ramp didn't go down to the ocean, the cliff was 200' high.

jjrothWA
03-25-2022, 06:49
Hey Kid, did you use enough dynamite?