PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Guns

Robert Scott
02-05-2022, 02:01
What caliber are they using now? Spitballs. I don't usually watch the games but I did for 30 seconds when I went by the den today. Wife and the dog were watching a US womens team ( the only country competing according to the broadcasters) in their skisuits shooting at something. Didn't sound like the 22s back in the James Bond films....

Art
02-05-2022, 02:50
What caliber are they using now? Spitballs. I don't usually watch the games but I did for 30 seconds when I went by the den today. Wife and the dog were watching a US womens team ( the only country competing according to the broadcasters) in their skisuits shooting at something. Didn't sound like the 22s back in the James Bond films....

Specialized match rifles made specifically for Biathlon. Ammunition is the best .22 "ely prime' match money can buy and it's pretty darn quiet.

As far as James Bond goes, a movie is a movie and the movies want more noise.

Robert Scott
02-05-2022, 03:12
Thank you for the feedback. Didn't know that their ammo was that good....

https://www.eleyammunition.com/rifle-ammunition-22lr/

Johnny P
02-05-2022, 04:19
Ammo is subsonic, so no sonic crack.

lyman
02-05-2022, 07:23
glad to see you posting Robert!!!

and use, somewhat long barreled rifle, SV match ammo,

it can be very quiet\

oscars
02-06-2022, 06:08
I did biathlon about 20-25 yr ago. We did running and mountain biking in summer and skis/snow shoes in winter. I still have the rifle which is a left-handed Savage 900TR, which can be considered the absolute bottom tier of biathlon rifles. I used Eley Target Rifle which was about 30 a brick. The rifle/ammo combo was good enough for me.

PWC
02-06-2022, 09:27
I'd like to see the one finger "bolt" action. They don't have to come out of position to work the bolt.

OK for a .22 but would not work for anything bigger.

lyman
02-06-2022, 11:19
I've seen one actual Biathlon rifle, well used, and handled a few newer guns with a similar action,

it's kinda funky at first, but once you get your head telling your hands it is not a standard bolt gun, they are amazingly fast to work,

never got the chance to shoot on

- - - Updated - - -

I did biathlon about 20-25 yr ago. We did running and mountain biking in summer and skis/snow shoes in winter. I still have the rifle which is a left-handed Savage 900TR, which can be considered the absolute bottom tier of biathlon rifles. I used Eley Target Rifle which was about 30 a brick. The rifle/ammo combo was good enough for me.

and to think folks used to fuss about paying $30 a brick back then

Art
02-06-2022, 12:32

Ely Tenex is now $26.00 a box of 50. One of the real selling points (besides the extreme accuracy due extremely close tolerances and a projectile with to a very predictable "yaw") is the Ely priming system which virtually eliminates rimfire duds. Can't have that at the top level.

PWC
02-06-2022, 03:34
Looked at the Anschutz bolt for their Biathlon Rifle. There are seven small ball bearings (locking lugs) equidistant around the back of the bolt. When the bolt "handle" is pulled back by the trigger finger, the mechanism inside the bolt allows the bearings to be pushed below the surface of the bolt, allowing it to slide back. When the bolt "handle" is pushed forward, with the thumb, it seats the round and pushes the bearings back into their detents and holds them there.

lyman
02-06-2022, 05:43
Ely Tenex is now $26.00 a box of 50. One of the real selling points (besides the extreme accuracy due extremely close tolerances and a projectile with to a very predictable "yaw") is the Ely priming system which virtually eliminates rimfire duds. Can't have that at the top level.

a lot of the Bullseye crowd has switched to CCI SV,

cheaper, and accurate enough