PDA

View Full Version : Never let them know you can type

jon_norstog
10-23-2021, 06:43
That's what my dad told me when I went in the USCG in 1966. He wanted to fly and joined the Army Air Force in 1942. He had a couple years of college and hoped they would let him be a bomber pilot. His eyes weren't good enough and he ended up as a radioman/navigator. He trained with the 3rd Air Force in Shreveport LA, married his HS sweetheart and they did their best to get pregnant before he finished training and was sent off to the 8th. He had been doing a lot of reports etc for his class and when the time came they kept him. So he was stuck in Louisiana typing up paperwork and training new airmen when he REALLY wanted to bomb the hell out of the Germans.

That was his advice. I'm not sure what I would say ... maybe don't let them put you into a supply rating/specialization. I was a happy snipe until I got put into engineering supply, which I got out of fast as I could

jn

barretcreek
10-24-2021, 04:20
Might be the reason you are here to entertain us. My old man wanted to be a bombardier; told him 'go get in that plane over there'. After wandering around for a while trying to find the plane someone told him to put on his glasses and get a new assignment.

Major Tom
10-25-2021, 02:51
During basic orientation; I did poorly with typing and radio communication as well as teletype! Wound up toting a 25 lb. M-60 in 'Nam.