PDA

View Full Version : Hunting season is upon us and ammo is still scarce

BudT
09-04-2021, 05:37
All though ammo is in some supply it is hunting ammo that is not available in variety or quantity. Example, was at several stores over the last week or so and watched several people coming in and asking for .300 Win Mag or some other ammo and nope not there. Where can we get some? we don't know of any anywhere but we have 300,000.00 dollars worth on back order. When are you expecting the orders? sometime in the next 2 years, sad and shocked faces. I'm hoping it's better in other places and it's just out west and isolated to 1/2 dozen states or so.
BudT

Major Tom
09-04-2021, 05:49
Ammo of any caliber is very scarce here as well as reloading componets. If Pelosi's multi trillion bill is passed into law, firearms and ammo will be heavily taxed.

BudT
09-04-2021, 07:01
I don't know yet if they put new taxes or fees on ammo or guns but I do know that they passed and hiding in the bunker biden will sign anything the pelozie chucky bunch sends to him, a new tax on miles driven.That's going to be a serious disaster and that's being kind to it. Gonna be fun listening to the lefties bitch about having to pay more and the new battery powered 300 mile cars they will have jammed up their Azz. Hair sniffer loves this chit as much as he loves the retreat after the surrender in Afghan capitol. But hey, we got this dork for another 3+ years, God help us. People needing a box or two of ammo for deer and elk season are going to be SOL for more than the next two years, ammo company's are getting ready to raise prices again and the next one will be when?= stupid expensive. A box of Buffalo Bore 30-30 for between 55-90 dollars for 20 rounds and that price is right now, be still my heart.

lyman
09-04-2021, 07:35
was the same way last years,

had lot's of hunters , that apparently were living under a rock, come in and get all bent out of shape when there was no ammo to be had,

may be the same this year,

Dove season starts today at noon, and while ammo has been flowing ,, not much to pick from ,

Art
09-04-2021, 07:51
From Southeast Texas: Centerfire hunting rifle ammo is almost non existent here, when available it can be very pricey. Rimfire is spotty. The good news is shot shells are abundant right now.

I have a buddy who's going dove hunting tomorrow, I think he had plenty of 20 gauge on hand.

Allen
09-04-2021, 08:18
Shelves still bare here at Walmart.

The best you could hope for is a box of 12ga 2 3/4" dove loads.

barretcreek
09-04-2021, 09:00
Local Wally has dozens of boxes of .350 Legend, which apparently has been modified so it only works in bolt guns.

pcox
09-04-2021, 10:05
I pull the fmj bullets from surplus 30.06 and re-seat a 150 grain soft point projectile. Shoots really well in my sporterized 1903A3. I've got plenty of surplus rounds, but the soft points are getting scarce. No success with this in my Remington 742 though, it needs the hotter commercial load.

lyman
09-04-2021, 10:59
From Southeast Texas: Centerfire hunting rifle ammo is almost non existent here, when available it can be very pricey. Rimfire is spotty. The good news is shot shells are abundant right now.

I have a buddy who's going dove hunting tomorrow, I think he had plenty of 20 gauge on hand.

my oldest niece hunts, and I asked her if she had enough for Dove season,

she said yes at first,,, then I think she went and looked,

so I sent her about 2 cases of stuff I had picked up in an estate,

now,, I'm the best uncle ever

BudT
09-04-2021, 11:26
Local Wally has dozens of boxes of .350 Legend, which apparently has been modified so it only works in bolt guns.

Might be a good reason to buy a .350 Legend, no? Who-tee-Who has a good penetration vid on u-tube. The round penetrated pretty good and would make a good hunting round for short range under 250 yards or so.

Allen
09-04-2021, 11:41
Might be a good reason to buy a .350 Legend, no? Who-tee-Who has a good penetration vid on u-tube. The round penetrated pretty good and would make a good hunting round for short range under 250 yards or so.

If other people have these same thoughts then this ammo will disappear as well.

I would buy an ample amount of ammo first (at WM prices) then buy the gun.

BudT
09-04-2021, 12:00
If other people have these same thoughts then this ammo will disappear as well.

I would buy an ample amount of ammo first (at WM prices) then buy the gun.

Yep, that would be the plan, first 10-12 boxes of the ammo then the gun.

Today's pick of blackberries from my one plant.

jaie5070
09-04-2021, 05:37
Time to switch to a front stuffer

lyman
09-04-2021, 05:49

I've not seen a shortage locally for BP projectiles, but if you were planning on a BP shotgun, lead shot has been in short supply

BudT
09-04-2021, 06:17

Tried to buy caps lately? powder? bullets? been in real short supply here. If I really needed powder I would check with Buffalo Arms up in northern ID and if they had what I wanted I would make the drive, for real BP that is. I already have enough substitute BP like Pyrodex, Blackhorn and Shoky's Gold and a can if 2fg GOEX so I'm good for life unless I load more ctgs with it.

jon_norstog
09-04-2021, 10:51
I didn't know! I have lots of brass and an OK supply of bullets, powder and primers,. so I have been coasting. I have what I need for elk hunting now plus I can always fall back on the black powder guns.

jn

BudT
09-05-2021, 07:01
Interesting to say the least and makes perfect sense, I also agree that it could be up to two years before it gets a lot better. If this administration continues doing the total stupid stuff they have done since day one were in for a disaster of monumental proportions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugDKOCD6GSU

Allen
09-05-2021, 07:42
Interesting to say the least and makes perfect sense, I also agree that it could be up to two years before it gets a lot better. If this administration continues doing the total stupid stuff they have done since day one were in for a disaster of monumental proportions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugDKOCD6GSU

10-4. It seems we are quickly becoming a 3rd world nation. Our constitutional rights are being questioned every day, our laws are only enforced for the good of politicians/judges, punishment for murder is becoming more of a misdemeanor, we have no borders, politicians sell and give away our military technology and equipment to our enemies, our dollar is becoming worthless, everything is free at taxpayers expense, our resources are drying up, food shortages exist in some areas, diseases that were eradicated years ago are making a comeback due to all the chit we are allowing to move here, we pay other countrys to develop new viruses that will kill lives and destroy economies all over the world and the list goes on.

The day is coming soon at this rate where reloading should be for self defense more so than for hunting and target practice sorry to say.

In regards to the video, our current administration will see to it that there is always a shortage of NATO rounds, even if we have to give it all to the taliban. Biden also wants to ban Russian ammo and primers preventing some of the common ammo from being obtained and reloaded.

In most cases the ammo is more important than the gun unless you already have a good supply.

BudT
09-05-2021, 09:39
If the priority is in fact for Nato ammo and that's whats holding the rest of it up it's easy to see how many ways this administration can and no doubt will hold up production of all of the rest of ammo and components to the civilian side. This is nothing more than a end run gun control. I'm positive they will do this at any opportunity. People had better have plenty of their own on hand and not let it slip one inch or they will simply be SOL. With the unprecedented loss of American weapons of war that was just handed over to the Taliban it's easy to see that it was planned by Biden and the rest of the administration. By the way the Biden loss is the largest in American history of warfare no other loss comes close, God what a mess this is going to cause. We witnessed history in the making that was bigger than Dunkirk and that one was bad. Are we entering the the next Nazi reign? The long standing alliance between England and the U.S. was broken by Biden and his admin. we are alone no one trusts now.
BudT
BudT

Roadkingtrax
09-05-2021, 09:54
Take up archery.

BudT
09-05-2021, 10:22
Bait in the water and there's a hit.

Allen
It seems to me that this would be a good time for independant companys and gun companys to produce primers, powders and ammo. They could/should produce on a civilian level, if they have to get into govt contracts then that should only be a portion of their production.

It would be a shot in the arm for ailing companies such as Remington who could shut down arms production if necessary to produce more ammo. W/O ammo there's no one to sell their guns to. Seems like it would be a priority to me.

Meanwhile maybe Russia will find a way around the ammo ban. Perhaps they could funnel the imports thru countries like Hatti or Kenya, give them a piece of the action and if the govt wanted to ban they could just holler "discrimination".

BudT
09-05-2021, 10:37
It seems to me that this would be a good time for independant companys and gun companys to produce primers, powders and ammo. They could/should produce on a civilian level, if they have to get into govt contracts then that should only be a portion of their production.

It would be a shot in the arm for ailing companies such as Remington who could shut down arms production if necessary to produce more ammo. W/O ammo there's no one to sell their guns to. Seems like it would be a priority to me.

Meanwhile maybe Russia will find a way around the ammo ban. Perhaps they could funnel the imports thru countries like Hatti or Kenya, give them a piece of the action and if the govt wanted to ban they could just holler "discrimination".

Two words, Government regulations. Throw in a hostile administration hell bent on destroying the constitution, Bill of Rights as well as private property rights and what do you have, the Biden administration controlling every part of your life. Cradle to grave uncle sugar that ain't so sweet.

Your idea has merit and I would hope someone with enough resources try's it. Was going to go shoot the new lever gun today but having second thoughts.
Regards
BudT

Roadkingtrax
09-05-2021, 11:18
7 months and it's all coming to an end?

The ammunition market has been very cyclical since Sandy Hook, but this current run up began in April of 2020.

Allen
09-05-2021, 11:22
Was going to go shoot the new lever gun today but having second thoughts.

Didn't mean to spoil your fun but yeah, until more comes along you may want to postpone that. The ammo shot today may be the ammo you need tomorrow.

lyman
09-05-2021, 12:27
7 months and it's all coming to an end?

The ammunition market has been very cyclical since Sandy Hook, but this current run up began in April of 2020.

true,.

the Asians bought guns,
the Black folks bought guns ,
the Toilet paper hoarders bought guns,

all due to the cooties, protests etc, to the tune of 8ish million new buyers,

thats 16-24 or more million boxes of ammo

add in a summer of outdoor fun (fishing supplies also were in short supply last summer) that every one was social distancing on,,

BudT
09-05-2021, 02:34
Didn't mean to spoil your fun but yeah, until more comes along you may want to postpone that. The ammo shot today may be the ammo you need tomorrow.

You didn't spoil anything Allen, I do enjoy talking to you and being I'm retired I can go shoot most any time I have the weather and inclination. As a matter of fact I took the time to look at some properties in north Alabama while sitting here. I still have to talk myself into buying a hunting property. It would be a long drive from Idaho so I was also considering a hunting lease of some sort, each has it's benefits.

dogtag
09-05-2021, 06:45
2 to 4 rounds to sight your rifle in. One round to bag your Deer.
So a box of 20 30/06 or similar caliber should last a hunter four years.
If they'd bought several boxes they wouldn't be bothered by ammo shortage.
Cheapskates ?

Allen
Cheapskates ?

In some cases, sure. I think most of us who don't have as much ammo as we would like may have been waiting for the prices to bottom out and were about there.

The last time ammo went scarce and expensive I waited till the price of 22's went back down and became plentiful. I bought about 30 bricks @ $22.00 figuring this was as low as they were going to get. I could have bought them 15 years earlier @$7 a brick but didn't know the world was going to go to chit so quickly. I think a brick now runs about $90-$120 on GB. Finding it in stores isn't very likely so those that need it may wait till it comes down further and available. I probably bought more than I will ever shoot. If I'm able to leave my guns to my kids it may be more ammo than they can ever shoot as well. It's like money in the bank. I just wish I had known and bought more @$7. You have to draw the line somewhere though.

We'll never see $7 per 500 again and may not see $22 but as long as it's on the way down a lot of us will wait.

The 22's are just an example. As far as hunting and center fire ammo, it looks like most of us here reload, so primers and powder are the big issue. I think primers are selling for about $140-$200+ tax+ hazmat+ postage per 1000 on GB. Most of our favorite powders are everyone else's favorite too so the shelves remain empty in many places.

It's not always a case of being a cheapskate--we live in an ever changing world now that affects our livelihood all too much and it's easy to get caught off guard. Having a box or two now may be enough but what if you use it up and need more and it isn't available or cost more than the gun itself? How much is enough?

Some of us who see the vice tightning may want extra ammo as in a lifetime supply. The more different calibers you have the more screwed you are in this regard.

BudT
09-06-2021, 08:04
Cheapskates ?

Not trying to piss in your corn flakes here but unless you already have those boxes of ammo or components to load with you have a much bigger problem than can be handled by good use. Those that did not buy when they should have and it was available will not find it now even at inflated prices it is scarce. One of my methods to find ammo is a search engine and traditional methods so I keep a eye on whats going one above and far beyond the political and geopolitical situations. All hunting ammo is in very short supply and it being what it is it is very wide on the prices. I see 30-30 ammo for sale on line from the low of 35.00 per box of plane Jane stuff all the way to 105.00 per box of course with shipping and applicable taxes and fees. And there are limits on some of it as well. Pacing yourself is always a good idea but first you have to have something to pace yourself with. So yes "if" they had bought before all this crap was put into play. Herd a brag on the radio about the price of gas had stabilized, OK good. But it has stabilized at "Record high" prices, oops not so good. People need to be careful and wise in the use of what they do have buy what you can when you can and always plan that this chit storm is now a ongoing storm that ain't going to get a lot better for the long term.

dogtag
09-07-2021, 05:38
It's just that I find it hard to believe that at the start of hunting season a hunter has no ammo.
He waits a whole year until the season opens before visiting his gun shop ?
He was never a Boy Scout, that's for sure.

lyman
09-07-2021, 06:36
It's just that I find it hard to believe that at the start of hunting season a hunter has no ammo.
He waits a whole year until the season opens before visiting his gun shop ?
He was never a Boy Scout, that's for sure.

it happens,
each and every year, some will wait till the last minute

one shot
09-07-2021, 06:53
It's all relative to your need , a friend of mine told me we have no shortage he has 8 boxes of .308 and it will last him a lifetime . I will never shoot more than I can replace just my way .