PDA

View Full Version : M1855 questions

Lead Snowstorm
07-16-2021, 08:41
Gentlemen,

Hoping I might ask a couple of questions about the Model 1855 - looking at an example dated 59 on the lock plate, 58 on the barrel. No patch box; has the brass nose cap.

This one has the long range sights, with the sides graduated to ?5? - looking around the net, I see some graduated to 5 and some to 4. I haven?t been able to find a definitive source on the sights other than a brief mention that they went through a couple of iterations.

https://i.imgur.com/XzAf56N.jpg

The second issue is that the 1 of the barrel date seems?a tad off centered?

https://i.imgur.com/9Xbn43l.jpg

Should either of these be ringing any alarm bells?

Thanks in advance!

03collector
07-29-2021, 10:16
Nice looking musket, keep in mind the long range rear sight was also used on .69 cal. Muskets. When they were rifled and sighted. Not sure the difference in yardage was. Have to look at mine when i get home.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it a Springfield or Harper's Ferry. Springfiek made 55's didn't come out with the patchbox till 1860. That version is not common.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops i ment Springfield.

03collector
07-29-2021, 10:35
The font (numbers) on my 1855 musket is very different than yours.

Lead Snowstorm
07-29-2021, 02:31
Yep, I passed on it. Apparently the fella who won it backed out after noting said discrepancies. Looked to me as though the barrel date and the eagle are sketchy, and that the long-range sight was possibly wrong.

It has a Springfield lockplate.

Fred
08-19-2021, 03:10
OK, compare mine to the one you’ve mentioned.
The eagle sure looks crazy, doesn’t it!

Lead Snowstorm
08-19-2021, 03:43
OK, compare mine to the one you’ve mentioned.
The eagle sure looks crazy, doesn’t it!

Crazy indeed. I was nearly seduced by the low starting price, and it was an attractive-looking piece...from a distance. But it kept ringing alarm bells on those little details...and I've learned enough not to ignore the bells.