PDA

View Full Version : The Vagueries of the CMP

Art
05-23-2021, 09:59
In a previous thread I gave sort of an unboxing review of our son's CMP model 1911 A1 which, as I said in that post, was well worth the money.

I just saw a review by an old boy who ordered a rack grade. He said, and I get this, that to him the monetary difference between a rack grade and service grade was enough to matter. Well he hit the proverbial jackpot. His pistol has a very worn finish, I doubt if more than 50% of the original Parkerizing remains and the back sight looks like somebody whacked it on top with a hammer, but, and this is a big but, it's an all matching Ithaca. Yup its a correct Ithaca 1944 M1911A1. With all that the fellow said the pistol is a fine shooter. I bet there are plenty of people who would swap their pretty mixmaster Service Grade for that particular rack grade. I have found that while the CMPs offerings fall within the spec for each grade that spec can be very wide indeed.

Another issue. I read some posts on other forums and just as happened with the CMP M1 Carbines there were plenty of posts to the effect that all of these pistols would be worn out junk and a total rip off whichever version you bought. I don't see a lot of USGI M1911s of any version around and when I do they can be $1,500.00 and up for very worn specimens.

lyman
05-23-2021, 03:51
funny you mention availability,
pre CMP release, I had about a dozen in inventory, mixmasters and a few all corrects,

about the time they started selling, I picked up some really nice stuff from a guy getting out of the market,
including his Service Grade that he was not happy with,

for what ever reason, my inventory sold down on 1911's very quickly, (quality sells, so maybe it was just the timing,, who knows)

now, you do not see them like you used to a year (pre cooties) ago, at shows

Art
05-23-2021, 07:26
You know, Lyman, I think you're on to something. I looked on line today and there weren't many to be had, so you seem to be correct. Even Collectors Firearms had less than a dozen. They ran from about $2,000.00 to $2,500.00 for the garden variety USGI guns depending on remaining finish, bore condition and whether they'd been tampered with. The really collectable items like a U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit M1911A1 National Match at a bit under $4,000.00 and an a couple of M1911s that were very pricey indeed.

lyman
05-24-2021, 09:08
CMP sparked a demand, and a lot of folks jumped,

I remember reading that folks were worried that the collectible/correct grade/ high end market would suffer , due to the CMP release,
but those same folks also thought the the Service Grade 1911's were going to be all correct , not refurbed,

FWIW, I know a few guys that ordered Rack and Field grades in the past year, and were pleasantly surprised with what they got

Art
05-24-2021, 11:18
CMP sparked a demand, and a lot of folks jumped,

I remember reading that folks were worried that the collectible/correct grade/ high end market would suffer , due to the CMP release,
but those same folks also thought the the Service Grade 1911's were going to be all correct , not refurbed,

FWIW, I know a few guys that ordered Rack and Field grades in the past year, and were pleasantly surprised with what they got

The CMP policy regarding what is or is not a service grade is well established. All original correct guns in very good condition almost always go to auction. There are always people who read into a deal things that aren't there. Anyone who expected a collectable for $1,000.00 was almost unbelievably naive. I think my son's new (to him) pistol would easily go for $1,500.00 plus on the local open market and you might squeeze $1,750.00 to $2,000.00 out of it if you held out long enough.

I've looked on other forums and the whining and bellyaching about these guns, almost always from people who don't own one or intend to buy one, borders on the unbelievable. I guess these old boys would rather they were turned into bumpers and razor blades.

lyman
05-24-2021, 11:32
I've fount that the CMP typically tells you what the worst case will be,

and they deliver better,