PDA

View Full Version : CMP M1911 Pistols

Art
05-19-2021, 01:53
Our son told us today that he heard from the CMP about his application to buy an M1911 pistol. Long story short; he was told to respond within 5 days if he still wanted a pistol with a selection as to the manufacturer and grade from the available pistols. It'll be interesting to see what he ends up with.

His lottery number was over 21,000 so I was a little bit surprised he was one of the winners.

S.A. Boggs
05-19-2021, 03:00
Our son told us today that he heard from the CMP about his application to buy an M1911 pistol. Long story short; he was told to respond within 5 days if he still wanted a pistol with a selection as to the manufacturer and grade from the available pistols. It'll be interesting to see what he ends up with.

His lottery number was over 21,000 so I was a little bit surprised he was one of the winners.

Keep us posted.
Sam

Roadkingtrax
05-19-2021, 04:01
I was in the first lottery. I received a Gulf War era Remington-Rand rebuild.

I'm surprised you can request manufacturer now.

Art
05-19-2021, 04:13
I was in the first lottery. I received a Gulf War era Remington-Rand rebuild.

I'm surprised you can request manufacturer now.

I really don't know if you can request manufacturer. If you couldn't I assume he won't be able to.

I understand the very best guns went in the first lottery.

lyman
05-19-2021, 05:19
the very best are sold at Auction,

I've bought 2 off of folks that were not happy with what they got,

one even went so far as to call CMP and give them a hard time, he was expecting an all original Colt,

did not like the ANAD marked refurb with replacement slide,

CMP guy told him to keep it or mail it back for a refund, and he wanted them (CMP) to refund his transfer fee,,,,,

I bought both at what they were paid for, and flipped them both for $1500 ea

Art
05-22-2021, 10:28
The pistol got into the FFL just five days after our son sent the CMP a credit card number. He won't be in town until the first of next month so I went to the FFL to do a check it out thing.

It's a Remington Rand M1911 A1 mixmaster; no surprise there. It has not been through a recent refurb, I guess about 80% of the thinning dark charcoal gray Parkerizing remains. There is no visible rust or pitting. The rifling is sharp with little sign of wear. I expected a commercial magazine but the magazine is USGI. It has the narrow square notch rear sight and a very shiny "dime" front sight. The pistol is quite tight with very little wobble at all. The trigger, like the triggers on a lot of these pistols is an absolute beast, I didn't weigh it but I figure a minimum of an 8 pound pull; it'll make you check to see if the safety is really off.

The pistol was as advertised and I think quite good value for the money.

One thing that did surprise me was the hard case it came in. It is a very high quality case, in fact it looks like a Pelican.

Art
06-07-2021, 10:56
Ok, our son and I went out and shot it today. He had a lot of trouble hitting with it, and he shot expert with the M9 pistol. It took him a while to get used to the heavy GI trigger. I knew what the gun was like and holding and squeezing 'em I was able to put a magazine load into about four inches at 10 yards, more than satisfactory results. The GI magazine that came with the gun was brand spankin' new and was tough to load the first time. After the first 7 though it loaded just fine.

While it was being cleaned I looked at the barrel and it was marked "HS" and I understand a High Standard barrel should be correct for this old Remington Rand. So at least three major components, the frame, slide and barrel are indeed correct for this pistol. I could not find a re build mark anywhere on it, that doesn't mean it escaped rebuild of course but it is interesting.

I should also mention that the pistol is quite tight, no rattle at all.

Johnny P
06-07-2021, 11:14
The first Remington Rand pistols used Colt barrels until High Standard got into full production. The original type magazine would be full blued with a S, L, or R on top of the toe of the baseplate.

Art
06-07-2021, 11:28
The first Remington Rand pistols used Colt barrels until High Standard got into full production. The original type magazine would be full blued with a S, L, or R on top of the toe of the baseplate.

It's a late 1944 pistol so HS should be right. The magazine is GI but not original to this pistol though a "correct" one would be nice to find. It is marked:

ASSY 5508694
MFR. IM291

A lot of these pistols came with aftermarket commercial magazines, Mek- Gar being very common, or so I hear.

S.A. Boggs
06-07-2021, 11:40
Be interesting to find out what happened to the mags/spare parts.
Sam

lyman
06-07-2021, 01:52
Both of the pistols I mentioned in my post above had MecGar mags,

the one you mentioned Art is a post war replacement,
google says that cage code is Checkmate, so it is relatively modern,

a lot of pistols went thru maintenance at the unit level, or thru a AMSA or similar unit,
so if it just needed a hammer, or a new barrel or what not they were fixed and put back in the armory at the unit,

never marked,

not to mention the cleaning parties were 5-10 or 25 pistols are cleaned as a group

magazines were considered expendable,

Johnny P
06-09-2021, 02:52
It's a late 1944 pistol so HS should be right. The magazine is GI but not original to this pistol though a "correct" one would be nice to find. It is marked:

ASSY 5508694
MFR. IM291

A lot of these pistols came with aftermarket commercial magazines, Mek- Gar being very common, or so I hear.

A 1944 Remington Rand would have originally been shipped with an S, L, or R marked (on top of toe) magazine. General Shaver magazines, with a G on top of the toe, were made by a division of Remington Rand, but were field replacement magazines. A few mid 1945 Remington Rands were shipped with the General Shaver magazines as the contracts were cancelled.