PDA

View Full Version : How todetermine is brass cases were loading with blackpowder??

jjrothWA
05-15-2021, 07:47
Had a work parrty this AM, and after securing equipment. I glanced into the half-filled spent cases and found 32 45-70 cases with spent primer and two with live one. Another case de-primed but the bridge of the flash hole appeared to be corroded away leaving a almost full
hole thruogh the case.

Brought them home and de-primed, noting that two live primers and both had green corrosion on the sides of the primer which touched the
pocket walls.
Interior case surfaces had even coat of residue, with a pebbly surface visible.

I soaked all cases in hot soapy wash and let sit rinsed and repeated with fresh soap and hot water, and took a narrow diameter tube cleaning brush and inserted and rotated to scrub the case interiors.

Let dry and readying to tumble overnight.

Anything else I should do??

Visual inspection with magnifying lens before doing further reloading.

Thanks for all recommendations./ comments.

Intent to make loaded round for use in T/C Contender 16" barrel.

fguffey
05-17-2021, 09:05
How todetermine is brass cases were loading with blackpowder??

How to determine if brass cases were loaded with black powder?

I do not have a rifle/pistol that uses a case to fire black powder, the few that I have that uses black powder are the measure and pour type.

F. Guffey

JOHN COOK
05-17-2021, 03:30
How to determine if brass cases were loaded with black powder?

I do not have a rifle/pistol that uses a case to fire black powder, the few that I have that uses black powder are the measure and pour type.

F. Guffey
Last edited by fguffey; 05-17-2021 at 12:08.

So you didn't answer his question .................

john in SC

jjrothWA
05-19-2021, 10:59
Well, I have resized the 4570 brass, and no splits, occurred, the Rock Chucker resized the cases with no cracks showing ]after liberally wiping the caes with Lee sizing lube [but did let dry, should have done when liquid]. cases were washed in hot soapy water and let dry.

Chucked a length of 3M scotch-brite pad into a split metal rod and buffed in case interiors and no corrosion viewed.

Will load some loads using trapdoor loads for getting on paper.

Thanks.

Now awaiting the collet and neck bushing to trim as the case lengths are 2.108 to 2.124.

Sounds like the firing firearms has a oversized chamber. As the sized case drop into the 16" TC barrel and drop out by gravity.