PDA

View Full Version : In need of a ramrod

Billy Beeza
05-01-2021, 04:05
Although marked as a Hopkins & Allen, I have what is believed to be a Pedersoli 12 gauge side x side muzzleloading shotgun. I purchased it secondhand. Its wooden ramrod is broken and I'd like to find a quality replacement, preferably synthetic. The broken ramrod appears to be 5/16" diameter, but the under barrel 'holders' measure 3/8" ID. Its length is 28-1/4". I've done a cursory online search and find nothing suitable.
How difficult is it to make one out of the components? Any suggestions? TIA.

JimF
05-01-2021, 05:57
Have you looked at Dixie Gun Works?
I bought wood-toned fiberglass rods and made my own ram rods.

lyman
05-02-2021, 10:15
try S&S or Track of the Wolf

k arga
05-04-2021, 04:57
If you get a straight grained hickory rod for a loading rod you won't need a plastic one, do not buy a dowel from the hardware store it will have grain run out and break, maybe going through your hand.

JB White
05-04-2021, 08:18
try S&S or Track of the Wolf

^^^Track of the Wolf. ^^^
A few years ago I picked up tempered hickory blanks in various diameters. If your current rod has brass fittings you can transfer them over and preserve the look.
I even used the blanks to make a couple of rods to avoid using antique originals.They take oil well and slick up quite nicely.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/570/1

jjrothWA
05-06-2021, 06:53
Try contacting:

The Log Cabin Sport Shop, in Lodi, Ohio.
They have supplies for making MLs.

330-948-1082

wwwlogcabinshoppe.com

Johnny P
05-27-2021, 10:23
Back when I shot a lot of blackpowder I tried one of the stiff (not the off white flexible) fiberglass ramrods. Several in our club tried them, and found that they tended to be somewhat abrasive. While not a big deal on a shotgun prolonged use in a rifle could damage the barrel.

As JB mentioned a hickory rod is the best. The old timers would soak them in kerosene to make them more flexible and prevent breaking.

On this one from hickory I attached a tip that is threaded to take various tools, and made it slightly longer than the bore.

https://i.postimg.cc/J0S850wF/MLRR.jpg