PDA

View Full Version : How Much Ammunition do You Carry???

Art
04-22-2021, 09:30
I've had a lot of food for thought over the last few years, as I'm sure we all have. I've also changed some behaviors. One thing I've changed is never leaving my house without a firearm, which usually means a S&W Model 640 K frame revolver though I do, at times carry other options.

When I was a "law dog" carrying a S&W Model 66 I carried six in the revolver and two speed loaders with six each in my strong had coat pocket as the every day option. On raids I carried an 870 with 5 rounds of buckshot or slugs depending on the occasion, six in my revolver, three speed loaders in my strong side coat pocket and six more in a "dump pouch."

Well, I'm not a cop anymore and since a sustained gunfight is pretty unlikely (though more likely than five years ago) I now carry 5 in my model 640 in a strong side belt holster and a speed loader in my strong side vest or coat pocket. I almost always wear a jacket or vest, but if I'm not and am carrying in a hip pocket or with an ankle holster I substitute six in a dump pouch for the speed loader. If I carry a larger six shot revolver I always wear a jacket or and have six in the revolver and six in one speed loader. If I carry an auto pistol, which I do on rare occassions; mine is a sixteen shooter, I don't carry a spare magazine.

Interestingly, some times, just because, I'll carry my Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" in a "pancake" holster. I'm not a big guy, 5'7" and 178 pounds this morning, but, this option is surprisingly concealable under a jacket and comfortable but only if you have a serious belt that's up to the job.

So, how do you folks carry, the forum, is, as they say, open.

pmclaine
04-22-2021, 11:50
I go light.....only what firearm capacity is.

Perhaps a mistake on my part but being a good witness and escaping are my first thoughts.

Engaging would require extreme advantage or last resort.

Its nice to consider heroics but if you dont carry it off it can get messy.

barretcreek
04-22-2021, 11:55
Was gonna ask H&W but ya beat me to it. Never been LE but have been on the wrong end of a pistol so I have some thoughts.

I've taken the CC course but decided not to get one. A) Don't need one for the times I am most likely to need a gun-Yogi, Felix and BULLWINKLE. B) Not living in an urban area it is awareness I practice when I am in a combat zone. C) The trustfunders infesting this area have called out LE for carrying in normal places such as stores etc. My sense of humor is already a few quarts low. D) Too many places are gun unfriendly and I hate leaving a gun in the car, even with Muttface in it.

When I do carry it's a SA/DA revolver beginning with .4 and a spare load. Or I am out at my cabin and armed to the teeth.

Thanks for starting this one.

jon_norstog
04-22-2021, 12:47
I hunt with what's in the magazine, five rounds on the Krag. My brother carries more when he's hunting centerfire, but only carries 3 prepared loads plus what's in the gun for his muzzle loader. I don't go about armed for the most part, except with a stout hickory hammer handle sometimes, or a stick if the issue is dogs. If I were carrying, it would definitely be a loaded revolver and maybe a another six in a speed-loader.

jn

Dan in NH
04-22-2021, 02:33
I generally carry only whats in my gun. Have ample speedloaders, spare mags, and speed strips but don't tend to carry them

S.A. Boggs
04-22-2021, 02:45
For Sigmund it is 7+1 with 4 additional mags and I use a shoulder rig. It is easier to just take off the rig and hang by my door.
Sam

lyman
04-22-2021, 05:01
For Sigmund it is 7+1 with 4 additional mags and I use a shoulder rig. It is easier to just take off the rig and hang by my door.
Sam

I used to carry a 1911 in a shoulder rig,, and did not like it,

now, one of several options pistols, or a J frame (kramer pocket holster

today, and this weekend, (at a gun show) Seecamp 32 in the front right pocket

Roadkingtrax
04-22-2021, 05:29
Zero.

S.A. Boggs
04-24-2021, 05:35
I used to carry a 1911 in a shoulder rig,, and did not like it,

now, one of several options pistols, or a J frame (kramer pocket holster

today, and this weekend, (at a gun show) Seecamp 32 in the front right pocket

I am so use to going heeled that it doesn't bother me to shoulder it. I feel different when I have to go to the Dr. and can't carry. My dentist is a hunter and she doesn't mind if I am carrying in her office. My wife is uncomfortable if I am not carrying considering what is going on in the world now.
Sam

Jay Johnson
04-24-2021, 07:38
I don’t always carry, but when I do I carry a tuned Colt Officer’s lightweight 1911 in .45 ACP w/a stainless Colt 7-rd. mag in the pistol and one extra stainless Colt 7-rd. mag in a belt pouch with a Surefire light.

Stay frosty my friends

computermedic
04-25-2021, 11:02
When I work in LE, I carried a Smith Wesson 659. I had one mag in in the pistole and 2 mags in reserve with one being a 17 round mag. I some times carry the 659 and some times the 1911 always have spare loaded mags.

JimF
04-25-2021, 03:42
. . . . . So, how do you folks carry, the forum, is, as they say, open.

I rarely carry, but when I do, I have six in the cylinder and two legs under my body . . . .

Always better to walk/run away with two, than six in the gun.

But . . .if cornered . . . .

m1ashooter
04-26-2021, 09:56
Interesting that you started this topic as I watched a youtube video on the topic last night. I carry because I can. For a few decades I carried a 1911 with just one mag. Then last year when all the civil protests started I decided I might need more rounds and started carrying a Glock 19 and one mag and threw a AR pistol in the trunk. Things settled down and the AR went back in the safe but I'm still carrying the Glock and one mag. Depending how the rioting season starts off I will reevaluate the need for more firepower.

lyman
04-26-2021, 10:43
Interesting that you started this topic as I watched a youtube video on the topic last night. I carry because I can. For a few decades I carried a 1911 with just one mag. Then last year when all the civil protests started I decided I might need more rounds and started carrying a Glock 19 and one mag and threw a AR pistol in the trunk. Things settled down and the AR went back in the safe but I'm still carrying the Glock and one mag. Depending how the rioting season starts off I will reevaluate the need for more firepower.

I do similar,

choice of handgun varies, but there is always a spare in vehicle,

and I have tossed either a riot style shotgun or AR in the trunk a few times

jjrothWA
04-30-2021, 09:44
For me its the initial loading and two reloads.

Out hunting for deer, five/four in magazine, a spare magazine load and a box of 20 in the backpack.

Former Cav
05-02-2021, 10:01
A full sized double stack Kimber polymer target (M-5 Bull I am told made it) that holds 14+1 of 45 ACP and 2nd magazine in front pocket ... 29 rounds total.
First 15 are speer gold dot 230 JHP that local PD used in Maricopa county, (might be used to carry now that sheriff joe is gone!), 2nd magazine is S&B or Remington 230 FMJ

Johnny P
05-02-2021, 01:47
I guess you just never know when you might get into a Dade County type shootout.

15 + 1 in a Glock 19.