PDA

View Full Version : Plug-in electric vehicles

Merc
04-09-2021, 06:21
Lots of hype these days about plug-in electric vehicles (EVs) since we are again paying higher gas prices. I am starting to notice more Teslas around town.

Most EVs have a range of a few hundred miles before recharging which can take 1 to 24 hours for a full charge depending on the system used. Some models go farther on a single charge but for most urban folks, the majority of their daily driving is probably less than 20 miles. An EV might make sense for them, but they are not practical for long trips - yet.

I bought a Toyota Highlander V6 hybrid 3 row seat SUV in 2018 that gets 25 - 30 MPG, depending on the terrain and who is driving (wife has a lead foot). The same model is offered in 2021 with a 4 cylinder engine that gets 35 MPG with no loss in power due to the instant torque provided by the electric motor. Some of the smaller hybrid cars are getting more than 50 MPG.

I am not ready to commit to an EV yet but it may be just a matter of time before they start to make sense as the technology progresses.

So, is anyone thinking about the future of EVs? Are you ready to trade higher gas prices for a higher electric bill?

Edit: By the way, did you know that the 2021 Toyota Sienna van is a now only being offered as a 4 cylinder hybrid that gets 35 MPG? It is no longer offered as a non-hybrid vehicle. Consumer Reports says the 4 cylinder engine and electric motors propel the van with no loss of power when compared to a standard V6 engine. Toyota is building on its hybrid technology and it wouldn’t surprise me to see an all hybrid fleet in a few years.

lyman
04-10-2021, 06:17
I think if you live in an urban environment, or do only short travels, an EV may make sense,

I drive roughly 60 miles round trip to work (and on occasion travel that far from work to do buys)
EV would not really work for me,

now I do drive 8 miles round trip to my side business, so possibly,

however I doubt EV will ever replace my E350 work van,

also the cost of EV is limiting, (and the greenies, while preaching how much you are helping the environment, don't factor in what the energy production cost and output is in the environment,,)

hybrids, likely, in some applications,

I test drove a Prius years ago,
very nice car, well appointed, rode well,
handled like crap,
0-60 was slower than my Civic, (34mpg in the civic)

re the E350, mine is 2005 one ton diesel,
no idea of the mileage, never measured it

a friend in the business uses Chevy Vans, and ordered a new one last year,
he thought when he ordered a Diesel he would get a big V8,
nope, small inline turbo ,

same basic performance, and better mileage, so he is ok with it

barretcreek
04-10-2021, 10:22
Recycling the battery with EV has not been resolved to my understanding. My idea of a hybrid is a hydrogen fuel cell with waste heat recovery and a solar cell roof.

togor
04-10-2021, 04:05
Recycling the battery with EV has not been resolved to my understanding. My idea of a hybrid is a hydrogen fuel cell with waste heat recovery and a solar cell roof.

Progress on the recycling front.

That Lithium, Cobalt, etc. is strategically valuable.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/batteries-storage/lithiumion-battery-recycling-finally-takes-off-in-north-america-and-europe

Art
04-10-2021, 04:20
I saw GM has an electric Hummer ready to go for those of you who have $100,000.00 to play with. It's all wheel drive powered by three motors that deliver 700 hp and will take the vehicle to 60 mph in under four seconds. It also has a "crab walk" feature that will be appreciated by anyone who hates parallel parking as much as I do. Range is 300 miles. A less capable version is supposed to be ready in a couple of years for the bargain price of $80.000.00. One of the problems with all of the electric systems is price and the amount of time it takes fuel saved to catch up with the savings of a 25 to 35+ mpg combined city/highway conventional automobile at $5,000.00 to $10,000.00 less money. Price should come down as electrics, both plug in and hybrid, become more and more common over the next quarter to half century. I don't expect to be around to see that though.

The big thing that bothers me about electric vehicles with no fuel back up is emergencies, especially if evacuations are required. I can't imagine the nightmare 150 miles north of Houston if everybody had a plug in electric vehicle and a quarter million people are trying to escape a hurricane....and then the grid goes down when it actually hits and those people are all stuck north and west of town and the locals who hunkered down have no juice to charge their own vehicles. Keep it charged, Baby.

I see that both Ford and GM want to have their entire passenger fleets, including light trucks, converted to all plug in electric or hybrid vehicles by 2035.

Merc
04-10-2021, 08:56
Toyota’s hybrids are interesting. The drive train of the Highlander hybrid provides AWD on demand by using one gas driven engine plus two electric motors, one on each axel. There is no need to drive the rear wheels through the transmission. All three motors produce a combined 306 HP to a CVT transmission that has one gear. No shifting. Sort of like driving a golf cart.

Torque from the gas engine is developed by spinning the crank to a higher RPM however, torque from electric motors is developed immediately when the motor windings receive traction battery voltage. This is how the smaller 4 cylinder gas engines, plus help from two electric motors, can match the performance of a larger non-hybrid V6.

My hybrid can run on battery power alone up to around 45 MPH on a level road, assuming the traction battery is sufficiently charged.

The electric motors act as dynamic brakes and slow the SUV down when the brake pedal is pressed. They also charge the traction battery when coasting or braking occurs. The gas engine also charges the traction battery when it’s running.

I believe that the future of automotive transportation is developing before our very eyes.

Edit: By the way, a fully charged traction battery produces 319.2 volts DC. The days of servicing your own vehicle are long gone.

Johnny P
04-11-2021, 08:09
I'm from the old school when you could order a vehicle thru your local dealer with a solid lifter cam, multiple carburetors, high compression pistons, and a four speed. A new vehicle that sounds like a golf cart taking off just isn't in my future.

Merc
04-11-2021, 11:31
I'm from the old school when you could order a vehicle thru your local dealer with a solid lifter cam, multiple carburetors, high compression pistons, and a four speed. A new vehicle that sounds like a golf cart taking off just isn't in my future.

You can still buy a beast but it will have to be something like a Vette or a Mustang GT. Most non-hybrid V6s will turn 90 MPH in a 1/4 mile with an 8 geared automatic tranny while the 4 cylinder hybrids with a CVT single gear tranny will still do 89 MPH in a 1/4 mile.