PDA

View Full Version : A really weird round...........

Dan Shapiro
03-12-2021, 06:13
Found this at Camp Pendleton. Had no idea what it was.

https://cartridgecollectors.org/cmo/cmo05oct.htm

Sunray
03-13-2021, 10:56
Armies everywhere have used a lot of really daft stuff over the years. Recoiless rifles used a spotter .50 cal. "Spotting" is kind of a misnomer though. It's really how the thing was aimed. Spotter trace round was fired, if it hit the target the rocket or recoiless rifles was fired. Don't think it was a .50 BMG round though.

fguffey
04-05-2021, 09:28
Armies everywhere have used a lot of really daft stuff over the years. Recoiless rifles used a spotter .50 cal. "Spotting" is kind of a misnomer though. It's really how the thing was aimed. Spotter trace round was fired, if it hit the target the rocket or recoiless rifles was fired. Don't think it was a .50 BMG round though.

It was a short .50 round. I have a jug of the powder that is to slow for my 300 Win Mag.

F. Guffey

pmclaine
04-08-2021, 06:11
Ive fired these through the spotter rifle of the SMAW.

It matches the ballistics of the HE round and arcs its way to the target glowing tracer bright.

If you make your hit with the spotter thumb the rocket safety and fire.

FP1201
04-18-2021, 07:56
The "primer" for Artillery Rounds is made something like that; it looks like a 45/70 that's been drilled & tapped with a .38 special screwed inside....long time ago I band-sawed a spent one in half and outside of size, looked reminiscent of the one you found.