PDA

View Full Version : Where Would You Live if You Couldn't Live Where You Are

Art
03-05-2021, 09:51
Me, like most of you know, I'm puro Tejano. I'm not interested in moving out of Texas but if I had to live somewhere else it would be Alabama.

I spent a year and a half there when I was in the Army and I've been back to visit several times always with a good experience. One thing that's important to me is that people are proud of their place and folks there, as Hank Jr. said are glad to be some of the "favored few that were born in Alabam" You can tell a lot about a place by the songs that are written about it, especially by folks who live there and there's some fine music by and about Alabamians.

so, what's yours????

lyman
03-06-2021, 06:05
spend 20 days or so training once in Alabama,

noticed one thing,

stripper bars, tattoo parlor and liquor stores were always side by side, :icon_lol:
the guy I was with in training and I got a kick out of that

meant to hit up a liquor store just to see the variety, but never did,

made a day trip to Anniston ,

country side reminded me (on the way down and back) of Central VA a bit,

Art, by Pure, how far back do you go in Tx?

my paternal ancestor stepped off the boat at Jamestown around 1610, and my kin have stayed in the VA, and just over the border into NC since,

I guess that makes me about a pure a Virginian as I can get, and have not desire to leave,

in my limited travels (been to maybe 12 or 13 states) the Charleston area of SC is the one we like the most,

so far,

Art
03-06-2021, 06:41
My great, great grandfather crossed the Sabine, illegally, into Texas when it was still part of Mexico in 1834. The old boy was a bit of a scoundrel. Interestingly my maternal ancestors came to South Carolina probably in in the 1760s but that isn't too well attested, Turner being such a common name in the Carolinas.

I've been through the Carolinas numerous times. In the Summer I found the Tidewater even more humid than this place!!

lyman
03-06-2021, 07:08
if it got much more humid here in the summer , we would all have gills

Sunray
03-06-2021, 10:13
Buckingham Palace except the current tenants. snicker.
I'd be thinking Arizona. It's about -10C(14F) with the wind, here today. Last I saw, Phoenix was 20 something. No such thing as 'wind chill' there either. Gila monsters, scorpions and rattle snakes I can deal with.
My apartment is 80F with 30% humidity. Drier than Death Valley. Landlord say the building has bed bugs, again, too. All the legal clinics are closed due to Covid.

barretcreek
03-06-2021, 10:41
I'd be thinking Arizona. It's about -10C(14F) with the wind, here today. Last I saw, Phoenix was 20 something. No such thing as 'wind chill' there either. Gila monsters, scorpions and rattle snakes I can deal with.

GF lived in north end of Maricopa County. Calls me and says I have to come down there. "IT'S 124*". 'That's why you have to come down. If I'm miserable you have to be too'.

Be careful with your desires. All you can do in Rattlesnake Junction is spend money.

Art, PM sent.

barretcreek
03-06-2021, 10:50
We are suffering the second wave of Commiefornians moving here to fix this place. Bought a house a year ago and I could already make a nice profit on it.
Been to NZ+OZ, they both become Soviet-Lite decades ago. Eastern Europe has lovely women and the right attitude but the weather really sucks.
Maybe Spain or somewhere in the Highlands of Africa.

lyman
03-06-2021, 10:58
We are suffering the second wave of Commiefornians moving here to fix this place. Bought a house a year ago and I could already make a nice profit on it.
Been to NZ+OZ, they both become Soviet-Lite decades ago. Eastern Europe has lovely women and the right attitude but the weather really sucks.
Maybe Spain or somewhere in the Highlands of Africa.

I sold a firearm last year to a guy that was in the Army,
he was on some Joint Deployment the year before with NATO and Romanian Army's,

he said Romania was absolutely lovely, and they loved Americans,
but he also said at his wage (I do not recall his rank) he could live like a king

Vern Humphrey
03-06-2021, 02:34
Where would I live if I couldn't live where I do? On the other side of Lick Fork Creek, of course.

Merc
03-06-2021, 04:31
Depending on what you’re looking for:

If it’s weather, I’d choose Arizona or Florida. Be prepared to encounter extreme weather conditions and heavy traffic.

If it’s history, I’d choose Gettysburg.

If it’s natural beauty at a reasonable cost, I’d choose West Virginia. If cost is no object, I’d choose Arizona.

If it’s healthcare, I’d just stay home.

Art
03-07-2021, 06:59
- - - Updated - - -

Depending on what you’re looking for:

If it’s weather, I’d choose Arizona or Florida. Be prepared to encounter extreme weather conditions and heavy traffic.

If it’s history, I’d choose Gettysburg.

If it’s natural beauty at a reasonable cost, I’d choose West Virginia. If cost is no object, I’d choose Arizona.

If it’s healthcare, I’d just stay home.

My sister-in-law and her husband just moved to Arizona from the Mississippi gulf coast; her kids being in Az and Nv being one big incentive. They can certainly afford it and so far like it a lot.

Merc
03-07-2021, 07:41
- - - Updated - - -

My sister-in-law and her husband just moved to Arizona from the Mississippi gulf coast; her kids being in Az and Nv being one big incentive. They can certainly afford it and so far like it a lot.

Arizona has a lot going for it and we spend time there every year. They will find spectacular scenery and a wide range of weather depending on what direction they chose to travel or live. The only thing that I’d be cautious about, besides being unprepared for the extreme summer heat in the southern half of the state, is a fungus that lives in the soil that causes “Valley Fever” if the spores are inhaled. I caught it in 2013 after cleaning up after my sister’s horses. Most people don’t show any symptoms but I got really sick and had to take an anti-fungal drug for 9 months and came away from the illness with permanent nodules in both lungs. Disturbing the soil during the months of June - July and October - November appears to be the method of transmission. The University of Arizona has been developing a vaccine for several years but nothing has been finalized.

togor
03-08-2021, 04:46
Minnesota. The summers are spectacular, less humid, and a real winter. If you can pick your spots a bit on when to drive, and have enough firewood, then there's nothing wrong with a real winter.

pcox
03-08-2021, 04:54
Moved from Texas to central Missouri when I was 17. If I had to pick another place to live it would be southwest Missouri. Ya'll can keep all them Californians and New Yorkians in Texas, we've got them convinced there's nothing here but hill-billies.

dryheat
03-08-2021, 09:00
I live in Arizona and I like it pretty well. But people are moving here like crazy. My nice neighbor hood is now surrounded by thousands of homes and apartments.

Ltdave
03-09-2021, 08:23
great advantage being in michigan with the largest fresh water system in the country but, while i loved the low humidity and proximity to the mountains i couldnt move back to north central california. i did 5 years there in the Air Force...

family ties to hillbilly country n-w tennessee but humid HUMID in the summer. same with florida and he southern gulf states. im not much of a winter guy anymore but like i said fresh water and low humidity are important to me even if they seem to be at polar opposites...

RED
03-09-2021, 12:22
I live where I live because that's where I want to live. I've been to 14 different countries and the only place I would even want to visit again is Mallorca island which is part of Spain.

I wish I could live in a more rural setting but age prohibits that.

S.A. Boggs
03-09-2021, 12:28
I'm there!
Sam

Merc
03-09-2021, 01:10
I live where I live because that's where I want to live. I've been to 14 different countries and the only place I would even want to visit again is Mallorca island which is part of Spain.

I wish I could live in a more rural setting but age prohibits that.

Red, I think it’s ruined. When my carrier, the USS Shangri La CVA38, docked in Palma de Mallorca in 1963, fewer than 600,000 tourists visited the island every year. In 2001, more than 20 million tourists visited the island. I would like to remember it the way it was in ‘63. Beautiful and almost untouched. I can’t imagine what it’s like now.

lyman
03-09-2021, 01:24
Mallorca is a big summer time destination,

they have several big music festivals as well,

jon_norstog
03-09-2021, 02:26
I use the USDA plant hardiness zone map, got to be zone 7 or higher; should be elk hunting grounds available. And an easy drive to see my grandchildren. I guess that means Utah, Idaho, Oregon or Washington. Idaho has a few area in zone 7, including Salmon Canyon and Clearwater Valley. Okanagan are in Canada might be nice too.

jn

barretcreek
03-09-2021, 03:04
I use the USDA plant hardiness zone map, got to be zone 7 or higher; should be elk hunting grounds available. And an easy drive to see my grandchildren. I guess that means Utah, Idaho, Oregon or Washington. Idaho has a few area in zone 7, including Salmon Canyon and Clearwater Valley. Okanagan are in Canada might be nice too.

jn

Good idea.