PDA

View Full Version : Covid 19 Vaccine Reactions

Art
02-27-2021, 06:31
I now know enough people who've had the Covid vaccine to know you'll probably have some side effects from mild to severe. Our daughter and my brother just felt like they had a mild case of the flu. Our son had malaria like symptoms, Our son in law popped a hot fever and when it broke he sweated through the sheets. I popped a very hot fever. All of the symptoms, mild or not lasted 24 hours and usually, but not always, showed up after the second shot.

If you've been vaccinated what were your effects, if any?? Has anybody had "covid arm?"

sid
02-27-2021, 06:34
It may depend on which vaccine you've had. My wife and I both had the Pfizer vaccine without any side effects at all. The same for dozens of people who live in the same retirement facility as ourselves.

Art
02-27-2021, 06:44
That could be, Sid. It probably also depends on you. My brother and his wife had Pfizer and they both got sick, though not very after the first shot. Our son had Pfizer and he got really sick after the second one. The older you are the milder the reaction's supposed to be :icon_scratch:. Reaction after the second shot is supposed to be more severe because it triggers your immune system more strongly. If that's true the fact that I'd had covid may have accounted for my reaction, for me it was just like having covid 19 but for one day instead of three weeks.

Merc
02-27-2021, 07:20
My wife and I had the the first and second Pfizer vaccine. We both experienced mild arm soreness after both shots that lasted for about two days. I was slightly dizzy right after receiving the second shot, but that disappeared within a few minutes.

We know several people who’ve refused to get the vaccine. I think they’re extremely foolish. This virus has demonstrated its ability to change and adapt itself to outwit our immune system and can cause serious organ damage to those who have severe cases.

lyman
02-27-2021, 07:39
my wife had the Moderna,

no symptoms on the first other than a sore arm and mild rash at the injection site,

on the second, she had mild flu like symptoms the next day, the tired the 2nd day but good enough to go to work

some of her bosses and coworkers had a similar reaction

gwp
02-28-2021, 12:59
I had both the Moderna shots with no reaction.

bruce
02-28-2021, 03:03
My wife and I were vaccinated using the Moderna vaccine. Little tired the next day. No other reaction. All fine. Sincerely. bruce

Major Tom
02-28-2021, 03:21
Some women have reported 'lumps' appearing.

m1ashooter
03-01-2021, 07:40
Just won the Texas Lottery and received the first shot of Moderna this past Friday. I say Texas Lottery because our process is a bit like playing the lottery. Took the shot at 1pm other then the pain from the needle I felt fine for about an hour. I worked that afternoon and started to feel like crap. I got light headed, arm hurt, nauseous and fatigued for about 4 hours. What I can't determine is this was caused by the shot or seasonal allergies or side effects from other meds I take. The arm is still a bit sore. I'm very glad I got it and I'm scheduling two days off after the next shot.

Sunray
03-01-2021, 10:19
Not enough of any vaccine, that Junior has already paid for, to get any shot. Not expected until June for my age group. Junior continues to lie about it too.

JB White
03-02-2021, 05:54
Friends have had reactions ranging from a sore arm similar to a tetanus booster to strange headaches and flu symptoms. So far all have been Pfizer. Don't seem to know anyone within my circle who received the Moderna.

Spoke with an MD last week. Strike one: I'm just under the age of 65. Strike two: I'm not an EMT, health care worker, or frontline hero on the fryer at McDonalds etc. Strike 3 for my area: I'm non essential with the wrong skin tone.
Spoken to me in earnest.

If I don't die before late June, July, or August, I'll get my turn. Don't mean to sound racist but what is white privledge again? Nearly 6 1/2 decades (on this planet) and I don't think I've seen it down here in the trenches.

Just sign me as, "Fed up and getting more frustrated in Cook County"

Dan in NH
03-03-2021, 06:18
My wife goes for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. She was able to get this one a month sooner than any other.

Chaz
03-21-2021, 10:43
14 hours after second moderna shot, I got severe chills and shook to the point i was laughing about it. I took 2 ibuprofen and 2 aspirin and went to bed. I was fine an hour later but had an annoying headache for 2 days. Chills seem to be the typical reaction among folks I know.

dryheat
03-22-2021, 12:21
Haven't seen that dog in a while. The best that we can expect from this is, a bunch of young kids are intrigued with the whole virus thing and go on to become scientists.

JB White
03-22-2021, 10:46
Lady friend of mind, among those who had the headache reaction on the first shot, just received a second shot on Thursday. Missed work on Friday. Suffered flu symptoms through Saturday. Severe body aches, vomiting etc into Sunday. No fever though.
This was the Pfizer version for the record.

Mark in Ottawa
03-22-2021, 02:14
We are booked to get our first shots on the weekend but have no idea what vaccine will be used.

Rollout of the vaccine in Canada has been totally chaotic because although our government contracted for an incredible 11 shots per capita, they did not or were not able to negotiate early delivery dates. At this point there are no producers in the country of any of the approved vaccines so we are totally in the hands of other countries. (This is definitely going to change; lesson learned). AstraZeneca is producing in the USA and has over 7 million doses stockpiled that can't be used because it's not yet approved by the FDA and until yesterday they were prohibited from shipping it abroad. Fortuately Mr Biden approved a program under which Canada will get 1.5 million doses and Mexico will get 2.5 million on the (reasonable) basis that we will pay them back in a few months when our contracted doses are produced.

Going back to the original issue though, I have not heard of anybody here who has had a bad reaction and am hopeful that we won't. I am also hopeful that we don't get the AstraZenecka since it appears not to be as effective as Pfizer or Moderna.

A final comment. In about 8 months, I think that we are going to be up to our knees in vaccine that we have ordered and won't need. Knowing our Prime Minister, we will probably give it away at no charge to some politically correct recipients in the poor Third World (you know, the ones where the dictator/ president has billions of dollars in Swiss bank accounts)

Herschel
03-22-2021, 06:43
After I received my seccond shot of Moderna I felt listless for a day, nothing after that. My wife had mild flu like symptoms for three days after her
second Moderna shot. Three people I know died from covid 19. All appeared to be in good health and were in the 60 to 70 age group. My 55 year old
son-in-law had covid 19 and was very sick, but did not require hospitalization, for two weeks. My 75 year old friend had covid and was in the hospital
for 5 days. Skip the immunization if you want to. Ride a motorcycle without a helmet if you want to. It still a mostly free country.

Art
03-22-2021, 07:45
Herschel, you're right on point.

I had covid over Thanksgiving and I was really sick for two weeks and didn't get completely over it for a month. This was not the way I wanted to lose ten pounds. This disease is no joke. People compare this to the flu but the worst case of the flue I ever had was a sniffle compared to my case of covid.

I'm getting my second Moderna shot on Friday and the possibility of spending a day or two in bed is well worth it to me.

phil441
03-22-2021, 10:21
First shot of Moderna caused slight temperature intermittently that night but not enough to be a problem. Next day was sore arm. Next day all was back to normal.
Second shot caused no side effects that I could notice.

oscars
03-23-2021, 05:02
Art, it would have been interesting to note your antibody titer after your infection with COVID and to compare that value with the title after vaccination. Not that I would want you to be a guinea pig!

Art
03-23-2021, 07:40
Art, it would have been interesting to note your antibody titer after your infection with COVID and to compare that value with the title after vaccination. Not that I would want you to be a guinea pig!

It's a little late now but, yeah, that would be interesting. My strong reaction to the first dose of the vaccine was almost entirely due to the vaccine triggering my immune system which docs I know tell me is proof the vaccine is working. There is some dispute as to whether I need a second shot because I've had covid but I'm on the schedule so I guess I will and hope the reaction is less severe than last time when I spent a day in bed with a 102 degree fever.

sid
03-23-2021, 11:17
For what it is worth, Pfizer has developed a new vaccine which can be taken orally. This is supposed to reduce the problems with the injections. It is now going through it's first tests.

JB White
03-24-2021, 08:03
Art, doctor from Northwestern University/ Feinberg school of medicine has stated numerous times exactly what you have been told. I'm not qualified to repeat his words with any accuracy. However your type of situation has been discussed and I have good reason to think what you were told is sound advice. Get the second dose but brace for a possible reaction.
If any consolation, I know a guy half our age who suffered a severe reaction as you did. His second shot went without a hitch. Hope your goes as well.

As an aside but related, every year I pay my token union dues in the first quarter. As a retiree I can pay at my convenience. Now that I'm carrying a current card for 2021 I was told I'm classified as 1B+. Just need to find a vaccination site which isn't backlogged now.
Local restrictions and definitions along with mind boggling changes.....

If lucky in a sense I'll be too early for an approved oral vaccine. I cannot fathom why that would be any different regarding reactions though.

JB White
04-04-2021, 03:09
Update

Tired of the "virtual waiting room" routine for hours only to be told No Joy, I went to the phone tag route. Got lucky and was told I could slip into a one hour window.
Received my first dose of the Pfizer on Friday with an appointment for the follow up.
Minor reactions. Felt a little light headed about 15 minutes afterward. Nothing serious. Just noticeable. An hour later began feeling as though I had the onset of a serious cold. A few hours of that and I decided to hit the sack.
Awoke feeling a little nauseous for a while but that passed within the hour. Soreness at the injection site was no more than I feel with my Tetanus boosters. So, no serious reactions this time around.

The vaccinations were at an area college west of the city. Staffed by the Illinois National Guard. I couldn't help but notice how well they had the process running. Professional, courteous, all the way down the line station to station. What could have been a logistical clusterf**k if handled by civil servants and volunteers...it wasn't. Not a single wasted movement.
Most of the Guardsmen were younger than my own kids but their demeanor instilled a sense of competence resulting in an immediate sense of confidence on my part.
Tip o' the hat! I knew there had to be something good still left in Illinois! ;)

Johnny P
04-04-2021, 07:31
The local hospital was giving the injections and letting the patient go. The local pharmacies were requiring you to wait 15 minutes to be sure there was no reaction. What was another 30 minutes after a lost year.

lyman
04-04-2021, 07:35
Update

Tired of the "virtual waiting room" routine for hours only to be told No Joy, I went to the phone tag route. Got lucky and was told I could slip into a one hour window.
Received my first dose of the Pfizer on Friday with an appointment for the follow up.
Minor reactions. Felt a little light headed about 15 minutes afterward. Nothing serious. Just noticeable. An hour later began feeling as though I had the onset of a serious cold. A few hours of that and I decided to hit the sack.
Awoke feeling a little nauseous for a while but that passed within the hour. Soreness at the injection site was no more than I feel with my Tetanus boosters. So, no serious reactions this time around.

The vaccinations were at an area college west of the city. Staffed by the Illinois National Guard. I couldn't help but notice how well they had the process running. Professional, courteous, all the way down the line station to station. What could have been a logistical clusterf**k if handled by civil servants and volunteers...it wasn't. Not a single wasted movement.
Most of the Guardsmen were younger than my own kids but their demeanor instilled a sense of competence resulting in an immediate sense of confidence on my part.
Tip o' the hat! I knew there had to be something good still left in Illinois! ;)

a friend on that other forum we frequent lives in Tinsley Park,

he and his wife ended up driving to some place in southern Ill to get the J&J shot, since they were not of the proper demographic for the area they live in to get in line

m1ashooter
04-04-2021, 08:14
Received the Moderna 2nd shot a week ago. Slight head ache, couldn't tell if anything I felt was caused by the shot or my normal medications. No big deal here thank GOD.

JB White
04-04-2021, 11:06
a friend on that other forum we frequent lives in Tinsley Park,

he and his wife ended up driving to some place in southern Ill to get the J&J shot, since they were not of the proper demographic for the area they live in to get in line

I'm sure you meant Tinley Park? About 25 miles south of me as the crow flies. About an hours drive with Chicago traffic :)
I was subjected to the same bias. The one avoiding racism....?
Tinley is on the edge of Cook, almost Will county. No surprise they needed to travel. Do the end run and take what you can get while the getting is good. Otherwise wait a few more months and pray you aren't exposed as more and more start to ignore the restrictions.

bdm
04-04-2021, 11:11
I had the Pfizer shots the second one made my arm and neck sore and i felt like i was coming down with something for a few days then it passed

jjrothWA
04-04-2021, 11:30
Did everyone, use the same arm for injection or did you alternate arms?

I 'm do the coming thursday and figure I alternate the arm [left arm for first and right for follow-up, getting the Moderna vaccine.

Thanks for responses.

sid
04-04-2021, 11:34
My wife and I had the Pfizer vaccine and neither of us had any problems at all.

fguffey
04-05-2021, 08:40
Did everyone, use the same arm for injection or did you alternate arms?

I 'm do the coming thursday and figure I alternate the arm [left arm for first and right for follow-up, getting the Moderna vaccine.

Thanks for responses.

Yes, left first and then the right side, I wanted them to use the back side of the arm and they explained to me that was not going to happen. My wife and I got the Moderna vaccine.

A short time later I went to the heart doctor for a procedure, something went wrong and the bottom fell out. They stopped the procedure and I started feeling better and my vision improved. I thought that was enough to get me sent hope. Instead they made arrangement for an ambulance.

And then they started another procedure' the lady assured me I was not going to be aware of anything and she assured me I was not going to feel anything. And then it started; I informed them I had to go to the restroom, it took some convincing. It was about that time I heard them talking about someone that was delivered to the emergency room with a heart attack.

I wondered why they were working on me when there was a heart attack victim in the emergency room; they explained to me I was first. We worked it out and stuck me in the hall in front of a break room full of talented and gifted people.

Later they retrieved me and we started over. They started with the bath room trip, one lady said she was going to hold the bottle and a voice behind the curtain claimed she was going to do the aiming. They were so proud, 500 milliliters!

And they they started, I had another question; if I was not going to be aware why does it feel like I am being shaved. It was then they said I was allergic to the medicine they used to 'make me unaware of what was going on' and then there was that part about 'not feeling anything'. One of the ladies said they reduced the dosage and then came the voice behind the curtain said, yes, we reduced it a bunch and another voice said "yes we reduced it a big bunch". It was about that time they made a cut. After a while I said it felt like I was being sewn up. They said they were using a clamp like devise, they said it was a spiral, they said it would dissolve, I was happy about that.

I passed that procedure with flying colors.

F. Guffey

M1Tommy
04-05-2021, 11:10
Wifey is 50 had no reaction at all to 1st or 2nd shots.

Mom is 79. Her 1st injection site became red about 2" diameter and very sore for a week. 2nd shot gave no reaction at all.

I took the one-shot Johnson&Johnson vaccine on a Friday. It may have been the hard workout at the gym that afternoon or loading and unloading 26 bags of mulch that evening but I was lethargic feeling and achey all the next day.

Tommy

togor
04-06-2021, 06:01
My second Pfizer shot did give me an almost +4 fever spike and I was out of the game for 36 hours, but 2.5 days after the jab felt normal.

Mark in Ottawa
04-07-2021, 08:08
My wife and I had the Pfizer a week ago and neither of us have had any reactions at all.

jjrothWA
04-09-2021, 06:37
Well, the 8th ws second Mondera shot. [I] told the nurse that I will do the right upper arm versus the left arm.
Today it was a little sore like a "taking a knuckle punch" in the arm.

my wife did same are and she was feeling a little crank and chilly, and slight headache.

its DONE. Now if we can keep the Gretch" from mudding the waters , we should all be great.

mike9905
04-11-2021, 11:35
I had the J&J vax yesterday, 4/10/21. I'll check back in two weeks when blood clots have been (rarely) reported. So far,so good. Shoulder isn't even sore.