PDA

View Full Version : The Outpost

Art
02-12-2021, 06:10
2020 movie recounting of the Oct. 3, 2009 Battle of Kamdesh in the war in Afghanistan tells the story of the 79 American, 42 Afghan and 2 Latvian soldiers defending Outpost Keating, an indefensible position in a valley in the Hindu Kush mountains. The first battle in 50 yeas in which two men received the MOH in one engagement. There were also two DSCs and numerous other decorations for valor.

The movie is gripping and a graphic example of the courage and dedication of the defenders as well the consequences of chain of command screw ups.

Highly recommended.

Roadkingtrax
02-12-2021, 06:11
I would also recommend the MOH series on Netflix. The episode on this battle interviews the MOH recipients. It would be a good companion watch.

Art
02-12-2021, 06:17
In any other war this battle would have been in the papers and on the evening news.

Roadkingtrax
02-12-2021, 06:24
I remember hearing about it in 2009 due to my line of work, but Camp Keating was a strategic failure. They were lucky to get out as bad as it was.

jon_norstog
02-14-2021, 02:04
In any other war this battle would have been in the papers and on the evening news.

I remember reading about it in the online New York Times, about the battle itself as it happened (sometimes just "in other action today") and then there was an in-depth follow up article about the whole fight.

jn