PDA

View Full Version : Winter storm week of 2/08?

S.A. Boggs
02-10-2021, 06:57
Yesterday this part of the county missed out on "some" snow and am I happy for us. Upper end of the county got 7", we got a dusting. Now another storm is coming this way much bigger then what we missed out on. Majority of KY is looking to get hit hard by ice and then snow, same for western WV. Southern Ohio is expecting about a quarter inch of ice and maybe 4" on top of that.
Those of you who are in harms way I wish you well.
Sam

Roadkingtrax
02-10-2021, 07:11
72 Degrees today, and 75 tomorrow.

jjrothWA
02-10-2021, 08:12
I went though the WHITE Hurricane of 78, where a flat-bed steel hauler was buried in a cut of I70 west of Columbus.

Living in Cleveland, we had numerous chimney's toppled in my "Old Brooklyn" neighborhood.

M1Tommy
02-10-2021, 12:04
Central Arkansas here. We are under an "Ice Storm Warning" until Thursday afternoon. As usual, this area is in that "5 degrees either way will make all the difference.".
I am near the edge of this. Others here are in the middle of the Warning area.
'reckon more milk, eggs, and bread are in order!

Tommy

lyman
02-10-2021, 02:44
we are calling for mixed up stuff over the next few days,

need to get a battery for the truck, (it's weak, but I have my trolling motor battery charged as a backup)

Art
02-10-2021, 03:34
The forecast for Houston said we might not get above freezing all next week. In a place where most power lines are above ground and almost all houses have plumbing in the attic this can be real bad mojo. In 1983 there were two big weather events here, a direct hit from hurricane Alicia in the late summer and the "freeze of '83" where the temperatures didn't get above freezing for over a week and night time temps were sometimes down in the mid to low teens...ugh.

I'm glad I put extra insulation on my pipes a couple of years ago.

Merc
02-10-2021, 07:38
The forecast for Houston said we might not get above freezing all next week. In a place where most power lines are above ground and almost all houses have plumbing in the attic this can be real bad mojo. In 1983 there were two big weather events here, a direct hit from hurricane Alicia in the late summer and the "freeze of '83" where the temperatures didn't get above freezing for over a week and night time temps were sometimes down in the mid to low teens...ugh.

I'm glad I put extra insulation on my pipes a couple of years ago.

You can protect exposed waterlines from freezing by wrapping them with heat tape that connects to a 110 v thermostat. The thermostat turns on when the temperature goes below 38 and turns off when the temperature goes above 50. The thermostats can also work with heat lamps if you’re trying to heat a small space. I’ve used them with heat lamps for many years.

https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/p/Easyheat-Eh-38-Preset-Thermostat/6156749?msclkid=a9e0a4e40296161c3529c4c0a70d2d23

Major Tom
02-11-2021, 04:59
Here in S.E. Iowa we have had several days of freezing rain covered by several inches of snow. Ice melt compounds cannot be found for sale any where. The first freezing rain left 2 inches of ice over everything. We have a contractor to clear our driveway and sidewalks. If this weather keeps up I will go broke paying him! :-/