PDA

View Full Version : AK 47 vs M1 Garand Practical Accuracy

Art
01-24-2021, 08:37
The fellow who makes these videos shoots a variety of mostly military rifles from 150 - 500 yards. Eight targets are involved and two hits are required on each target to move on; making a perfect score 16 which he never achieves. A passing score is cleaning the course in 40 rounds. Shooting is from the prone across a support (range bag in this case) simulating a combat firing position. There are no alibis, if the shooter slops one off or screws up on sight adjustment the rounds count. Weather variables also affect possible score. It is not a perfect system but nothing is. It does give a decent comparative picture of the accuracy of a variety of firearms.

One thing I think could be better, and cut down on variables is to use GI ball or equivalent in all the military rifles. This he does not do, the M1 is shot using handloads.

All in all, though, I think it is a valid comparison of the capabilities of an AK assault rifle vs. one of the most accurate battle rifles, used for their intended purpose, out to the maximum range one would probably engage an enemy with iron sights in the real world when used by a good shot.

At the end of each video there is an analysis of performance including shooter foul ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFgyQuTVxpU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h4oIou9FQk

JimF
01-24-2021, 09:21
I notice when firing the M1, the shooter makes an “all to often mistake” in that the muzzle is positioned about 8-10 inches above a solid object.

I see it often at the range.

Extend the muzzle BEYOND the bench top.

jjrothWA
01-25-2021, 07:11
Do it sitting and with a hasty sling. [with Mil-spec ball[

togor
01-25-2021, 07:25
Good point about the Garand resting on the barrel as opposed to the stock.

To mimic military use, how about AP M2 over ball? Would also expect that a select fire weapon in the field may shoot looser in SA due to accumulated FA use.

And lastly of course one sample of each rifle insufficient to make statistical comparisons between the types.

Thanks for posting, Art!

Art
01-25-2021, 07:33
A couple of thoughts:

First this is not a test of precision shooting but a test of how the rifle performs in field positions out to 500 yards (approx. 450 meters) with iron sights. When Chan shoots a weapon with an optic he often extends the range. In the field/combat the most preferred and most accurate position is prone preferably with some kind of support. This position also presents the smallest target to the enemy. Unfortunately prone isn't always practical.

I do agree that all tests ought to be shoot with military ball ammunition or its equivalent. The M1 with custom handloads has an advantage over an AK clone with generic com bloc ball (not that it needs it)

lyman
01-25-2021, 08:21
interesting that he used 155's (Palma loads?) vs 168's

but you use what the gun likes,

and no eye protection,,

Vern Humphrey
01-25-2021, 09:14
I carried an M1 my first tour in Viet Nam (my issued M2 carbine got wrapped around a tree.) We (the ARVN and I) used black tip AP ammo.

The advantage the M1 has is PENETRATION. If you have some idea where the target is, shoot all around it, and the M1 will drive deeply though trees, brush, etc. to do the job.

Art
01-25-2021, 09:47
I carried an M1 my first tour in Viet Nam (my issued M2 carbine got wrapped around a tree.) We (the ARVN and I) used black tip AP ammo.

The advantage the M1 has is PENETRATION. If you have some idea where the target is, shoot all around it, and the M1 will drive deeply though trees, brush, etc. to do the job.

I understand WWII GIs used M2 AP in their M1s whenever possible. M2 ball will penetrate about 2' of hardwood at a reasonable distance so AP should do even better.

As an aside on shooting at the brush. My uncle who fought all the way through WWII in the ETO said they had to do some re training of new replacements because they often wouldn't shoot at anything they couldn't see. They had to be taught that if you're receiving fire from a tree line, for instance, you had to put as much fire on the tree line as possible to achieve fire superiority. If a "bad guy" became distinct that was good but you had to keep up that fire regardless.

lyman
01-25-2021, 09:58
AP runs around 162-165 gr ,

that weight and bullet shape is a sweet spot (for accuracy) for a lot of Garand's and 1903's

I have a 1903 that will do better with AP than ball or a 168gr match load

jjrothWA
01-26-2021, 01:15
A number of service shooter from the 50' / 60's populated my club in the 80's and early 90's, indicted that intra-service competitions, the AP rounds was used as issued ammo, ans one team ID's the lot number and secures some of that lot to sight-in prior to the march. The hosting service found out and drew a different lot and issued it.
The AP is a vary accurate load.